Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 08:48   #1

Long-Term Outlook for Cruising

Just curious what people's opinions are as to where cruising is headed? When I look at today's rapidly changing world I have to wonder if cruising in it's current form is going to survive. Popular cruising areas that were once pristine and peaceful are getting more and more crowded. There is ever increasing risk of crime, piracy, government instability and even terrorism. Our oceans are becoming more polluted. Cruise ships continue to be built to bring the less ambitious crowds to new exotic locations. Resorts are being built on what were once quiet and desolate islands. And Google earth and other forms of technology make it easy for people to sit at home and virtually plan every aspect of their next vacation. As I look at a map it seems that the only unspoiled cruising grounds remaining might be parts of the South Pacific and maybe areas of the Indian Ocean - unless you include some of the more rugged and non-tropical areas.

We have temporarily shelved our cruising plans for about ten years until our kids get out of school, but I worry that we are going to miss our final opportunity to experience cruising in its true form. I know we will always be able to buy a boat and sail over the horizon, but what is cruising going to be when we finally get to that point?
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:52   #2

Re: Long-Term Outlook for Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmatt View Post

We have temporarily shelved our cruising plans for about ten years until our kids get out of school, but I worry that we are going to miss our final opportunity to experience cruising in its true form. I know we will always be able to buy a boat and sail over the horizon, but what is cruising going to be when we finally get to that point?
It's going to be what it will be. Really. At the same time there asre threads about how few new people are getting into sailing, so one could "argue" that there will be less boats!

Some folks I know bemoan the state of things today, saying Things were better back in the day.

Nonsense.

Things are always changing.

It's YOUR outlook about how how you will deal with them.

No one can predict the future.

Good luck, happy planning and hope you enjoy your cruise.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:03   #3

There was a documentary about that years ago.

Found it

unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:10   #4

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We're about to let go the docklines.

New coast, new ocean, new people. I can't wait. There are 75 year old liveaboards, next to retired CEOs, next to trimaran techie racers. We all seem to enjoy each other for the most part. There are a few jaded spoiled brats but I ignore 'em.

I don't believe in "Golden Age" thinking. These are the good old days. Enjoy!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:55   #5
cruiser

To the OP. Stop watching the US news! Stop watching the US news! Based on your second hand observations, you have everything bassackwards.

The water.... Hasn't been this clean in over fifty years, back in the 1960's, now that was polluted. We anchor in pristine, crystal clear water all season.

Pirates. LOL.... Stop watching the news.

Wait... On second thought it's all true, scuttle your plans because it's horrible around here. Dead fish and garbage floating all around our boat, even had to fish out another headless body earlier today, probably a piracy victim or maybe a poor cruiser fallen victim to ISIS that washed up from Syria. Oh, the horror...

If you're going to worry as much as it appears by your post, maybe it's best that you stay home with your TV.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 10:13   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

unclemac, the image below shows a what I see when you post a link. This occurs every time and does not occur for other members.

I would like to access the info you link to usually, but don't understand why this occurs.

What type of links do you use? Or what proceedure?

Anyone else see this, or understand what's happening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_1185-Screenshot_2016-05-17-13-08-051331833043.png
Views:	397
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	124507  
Old 17-05-2016, 11:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
unclemac, the image below shows a what I see when you post a link. This occurs every time and does not occur for other members.

I would like to access the info you link to usually, but don't understand why this occurs.

What type of links do you use? Or what proceedure?

Anyone else see this, or understand what's happening?

I'm not the best person to ask but I'll give it a shot.

You appear to be viewing on an Android phone or tablet.

Android discontinued flash player support some time ago, hence "plugin required" - my Android phone doesn't show images/youtube videos from lots of other members' posts either, though I see them on my laptop perfectly well. As far as I know Google Play no longer offers flash players that work, just expects everybody else to adopt HTML5.

I copy the url and paste it into "insert image" - as far as I'm aware this is the correct procedure. If not, apologies to all

Bit surprised you say this doesn't happen with other members' posts because I see it frequently.

BTW... If you still can't see it, it was only a joke anyway. The "documentary" was the trailer for the "Waterworld" movie.
I hate having to explain jokes
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 11:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Capnmatt, My wife and I set out liveaboard cruising on the day of the Watergate break on June 17th, 1972. We have definitely seen some changes, but not all as negative as you describe. Back then transient slips were often 10 to 15 cents per foot for overnight and $50 to $80 per month. This sounds good, but no real change relative to inflation. Many coastal waterways are cleaner now than they were in then. We see dolphins up some inland waterways where they were not found forty years ago. The Clean Water Act of 1972 has made a positive impact.

Slips for liveaboards were available with a little search in the seventies, but much harder to find in the nineties, and now easier to find again.

The popular and crowded places forty years ago are more crowded, but most of the isolated places are still empty. For some strange reason that I don't understand, most cruisers speak of heading out for adventure in pristine wilderness areas, but they tend to congregate in large numbers in a limited number of places like Marathon or George Town in the Exumas.

We can still anchor alone in beautiful places!
Old 17-05-2016, 11:57   #9

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I saw a graphic (I think on yahoo) that showed the population aging dating there more people 65 years old vs 5 years old. So it is my guess when all the baby boomers kick the bucket that will lessen all the pressure on pristine locations. It will be it's own bubble that will burst.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:01   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I started cruising about 20 years ago and have seen cruising get tougher and tougher.

Even before the new anchoring laws, anchoring became more and more restricted in SE Florida. After the hurricanes, insurance and dockage doubled. When I first went to the Bahamas, the cruising permit was $20. Many Bahamian islands or bays that used to be wonderful uninhabited stops now have resorts or homes.

I think cruising in some way shape or form will exist for a long, long time to come, but I think population pressures, regulations and the changing economics will continue to make it more and more restrictive. I think I lived in a very good time for cruising.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:07   #11

The scene is just going to get worse as Americans get increasingly fed up with their home country and seek a better life and affordable medicine away from the USA. Many will take to boats when they jump off the sinking, stinking ship. All destinations outside of, but close to, the USA will be packed with disgruntled Americans, who will bring their petty arguments to the overcrowded anchorages, where they will be prey to people who have increasingly more hatred of the unwelcome intruders.

By the way, I predicted that the Republican Establishment would not allow Trump to win their primaries; I could be wrong about this prediction, too.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:16   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Average person is not going to cruise, couldn't if they wanted to, for many reasons.
I believe the number of people in the average age for cruisers is slowly beginning to decline.

People are for the most part herd animals, most people like a crowd, wouldn't the Cruise ships be empty if they didn't?

Pristine cruising grounds will not be close, you will have to travel further, but it is easier with Satcom and GPS etc to travel further. South Fl has been ruined (in my opinion) not much to see there, keep moving along, but the world does not end at Key West.

Economics more than anything else will drive cruising's future I believe (again my opinion)
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 16:15   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmatt View Post

(...)

I worry that we are going to miss our final opportunity to experience cruising in its true form.

(...)

I know we will always be able to buy a boat and sail over the horizon, but what is cruising going to be when we finally get to that point?
As for having missed the opportunity, you did, by some 60 years or so.

As for the always able to, I would not bet. You assume being alive, being heathy, being rich, and making it thru the first mile. That's quite some choice of assumptions.

I think cruising in its true form is all about anchoring in a crowded Caribben place and driving a high powered rib to the next beach bar. Can`t see this having changed much over the last 20 years or so.

Bet this will be all the same 20 years from now.

And those who want an ocean walkabout should not have any problems either, the crowd does not go walkabout. Too boring.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 17:01   #14

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The popular and crowded places forty years ago are more crowded, but most of the isolated places are still empty. For some strange reason that I don't understand, most cruisers speak of heading out for adventure in pristine wilderness areas, but they tend to congregate in large numbers in a limited number of places like Marathon or George Town in the Exumas.

We can still anchor alone in beautiful places!
Even around Gtown, Exumas, sail a few miles and you're back in total remoteness! Totally unspoiled with hundreds of empty islands and vast open spaces. All just a few miles from FL. The settlements are actually lovely to come upon, because it gets too lonely out there!! And it just gets better and better as you go SE. The bahamas blew me away.

After a few months there, we came back to the states to see family..I was actually happy to be back sitting in traffic in MPLS, surrounded by fellow people The feeling dissipated fast, but was nevertheless duly noted in the log.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 17:29   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I wouldn't wait 10 years. Go for a year now and decide if its something you want to devote 10 years of your life to. The whole scene has changed a bunch in the last 10 mostly with people socializing online aboard and literally having to drag people ashore to a beach BBQ. Whereas 10 years ago everyone would be keen to get ashore as they'd read all there books and would be eager to have a BBQ and book exchange, now who needs a book or DVD?

Tags
cruising