Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 14:25   #346

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You mean strapping a dinghy alongside that maybe you've never done before and wandering down the river under outboard in Ft Lauderdale isn't a big step.. the boaters and day tripper vessels charge around like crazy.. done it on an L440, a BR 54 and that was trying.. makes the Panama Canal seems quiet and peaceful..
Seen lots of posts about bow and stern line's.. but no one mentioned setting up spring lines as well..
You know I don't mean that. Strapping a dinghy to the quarter and motoring to Jax is ridiculous. Fix the engine, then take it in steps up the coast, starting in the ICW.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 14:25   #347
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I feel this should be your CF signature or at least somewhere on your web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No way.. to most owners their boats are their darlings..
That's like saying 'God its ugly..!!!' about someones newborn..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 14:26   #348
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Carebear, Some tips for weekend

Check off list before starting engine

#1 Seacock open and clear
#2 Make sure water flows and seacock valve really open.
#3 Open water pump">raw water pump look at impeller and check for shells replace impeller if need be
#4 Check belt tightness
#5 Transmission fluid level okay? (change if not already done) Radiator level, oil level
#6 Tell us name of engine. Yanmar? Perkins? Other
#7 Start engine look and look at belts and pump. Make sure turning.
#8 Look at exhaust outlet make sure good water flow.

Shut engine down if issue.

Issue may be
#1 Crud on heat exchanger... Remove and use cleaner to dissolve crud away
#2 Clog in lines. Take apart lines and look. Good idea to replace old lines.
#3 Old anodes blocking lines. Anodes help stop rust.

Note: Look carefully at engine and transmission fluids. Do not start engine if you see high levels or white looking fluid. It means seawater is in engine.

PS Make sure you are involved and ask questions. Take photos of engine and up load for all the armchair experts. Dont worry if it looks dirty we have seen it all.

At times over 50 people are reading this thread and will reply to your questions.
pbmaise is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 14:27   #349
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You know I don't mean that. Strapping a dinghy to the quarter and motoring to Jax is ridiculous. Fix the engine, then take it in steps up the coast, starting in the ICW.
That was for the benefit of those who have suggested it..

Old 05-01-2017, 14:33   #350

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've offered up some very reasonable advice (unlike most others) on how you can actually achieve your goal of bringing your boat back home.

Please tell us why you cannot return or sell your $3000 radar (that isn't needed now, and BTW is something we don't have on our boat) to come up with the money to repair your engine? We've made due with a 16 year old radar which is currently doing just fine. And.... I also recommended using your dinghy or outboard (or both together) to tow your boat under the bridges, which is exactly what we'd do if our engine quit. Why don't you what to do this?

Why not implement some of these constructive recommendations to get your boat home? It doesn't "take a village" to figure this out.

None of these CF folks who seem so eager to criticize me are offering up any sound advice nor are any of them going to come tow you out of this mess. You're going to have to do it yourself. It's all just apart of boating... stuff happens.
Carebear does not owe you an explanation for anything. Period. Sure, we are all possibly curious, but that does not mean the OP owes you or anyone for anything on this forum. Appreciation is different than owing.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:41   #351

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

We need to remember that we are sitting here (in my case sipping on a Bourbon) with lots of advice. They are there up to their noses in things they are trying to accomplish and probably wishing for a hot meal and a beer.

Have patience with us CareBear. Many of us really would like to help. It's 20 degrees F outside and I wish I could jump into your engine room and sweat for a while.

At one point a head gasket was mentioned. Please ask your husband/mechanic what brand and model your engine is and relay that to us. There are many folks with grease under their fingernails here and if we know make and model of the engine there may be things to watch for or a sequence or procedure that we might know that could make things go smoother and maybe even save a buck or two.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 14:44   #352

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Carebear does not owe you an explanation for anything. Period. Sure, we are all possibly curious, but that does not mean the OP owes you or anyone for anything on this forum. Appreciation is different than owing.
When you think you are the only one giving constructive advice it makes sense you also think you are owed.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 14:55   #353

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I've offered up some very reasonable advice (unlike most others) on how you can actually achieve your goal of bringing your boat back home.

Please tell us why you cannot return or sell your $3000 radar (that isn't needed now, and BTW is something we don't have on our boat) to come up with the money to repair your engine? We've made due with a 16 year old radar which is currently doing just fine. And.... I also recommended using your dinghy or outboard (or both together) to tow your boat under the bridges, which is exactly what we'd do if our engine quit. Why don't you what to do this?

Why not implement some of these constructive recommendations to get your boat home? It doesn't "take a village" to figure this out.

None of these CF folks who seem so eager to criticize me are offering up any sound advice nor are any of them going to come tow you out of this mess. You're going to have to do it yourself. It's all just apart of boating... stuff happens.
Lets get over it. I called it crass maybe rude would be better and maybe correct. I think I said nailed it. It is what it is so let us all forget it. A tit for tat is accomplishing nothing.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 15:03   #354

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
I actually have refrained from being sarcastic as you have Sir. Also, I have put our situation out here and obviously you didn't read all. That being said I will answer you. 1.When we bought the boat, the addendum was thrown at us a week before we had to move the boat or pay $1,000 a month to keep it on the previous owners private dock. 2. We had already taken the loan for the boat and sent the broker the check. And we purchased the GPS. Radar. And installed it. 3. There was No Nothing as far as GPS or electronics on the boat. That we knew. The previous owner used maps, and sexton . 4. We purchased on a Loan from our Bank. Not cash at hand. Our savings is what we kept for emergencies and fixing things on the boat. Which besides needing cosmetic, we were told no major issues. " Just motor her up and sail her home and do the cosmetic when you get home" is what we were told. And dingy? Yes . Outboard. No . Only inboard. And that needs to be repaired after we motored about 650. Ft. As my husband is experienced, it's been a while as he was in the military and not much sailing after. Which brought me here to seek Advice. And BTW Sir, we did not need a tow home, only some place where we could work on the boat. Where we are , we cannot. Thank you.
Actually, you originally asked for a tow to open water or nearby and you couldn't possibly do the needed work where you asked to be towed to, so I think you should be able to understand the confusion that ensued.

Also, what's up with all the "sirs" and attitude? As far as I can tell, this post is the first one where you've clearly stated why you can't return the $3000 radar you mentioned earlier. If you still had that radar in the box, as it seemed to many of us you did up until reading this post of yours I'm quoting, taking Kens advice and returning it seemed like a pretty reasonable way to raise the necessary money to solve your problems, at least to me. Some of the posts that you seem to prefer aren't really giving you any useful advice, but Ken is trying to and I would think that even you could understand why he might be a bit frustrated when we're still learning some of the most basic facts of your situation many days and many, many dozens of posts later. If you had clearly stated just what your problems were, you could have avoided a whole lot of unnecessary posts and frustration, both on your part and on the part of some of the most experienced CFers who are trying to steer you in the right direction. I understand that you didn't even know enough about your boats problems to clearly enunciate just what you needed and you weren't deliberately playing mind games with us by withholding critical information, but that's just what you unintentionally did. I don't think I've ever read a thread where there was so much confusion as to what the problem that the OP wanted solved really was. So, maybe you should reread Kens posts in the spirit they were undoubtedly intended, as straightforward and practical advice?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 15:20   #355

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Of course none of us on here owe each other a single thing except to follow the forum rules. But it's tough to offer useful advice when it's so confusing as to what the extent of the problem is that you are trying to solve. So some frustration has occurred on both sides.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 15:24   #356
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
I actually have refrained from being sarcastic as you have Sir. Also, I have put our situation out here and obviously you didn't read all. That being said I will answer you. 1.When we bought the boat, the addendum was thrown at us a week before we had to move the boat or pay $1,000 a month to keep it on the previous owners private dock. 2. We had already taken the loan for the boat and sent the broker the check. And we purchased the GPS. Radar. And installed it. 3. There was No Nothing as far as GPS or electronics on the boat. That we knew. The previous owner used maps, and sexton . 4. We purchased on a Loan from our Bank. Not cash at hand. Our savings is what we kept for emergencies and fixing things on the boat. Which besides needing cosmetic, we were told no major issues. " Just motor her up and sail her home and do the cosmetic when you get home" is what we were told. And dingy? Yes . Outboard. No . Only inboard. And that needs to be repaired after we motored about 650. Ft. As my husband is experienced, it's been a while as he was in the military and not much sailing after. Which brought me here to seek Advice. And BTW Sir, we did not need a tow home, only some place where we could work on the boat. Where we are , we cannot. Thank you.
OK, now we're getting somewhere. 'Seems like your story keeps changing (eg. "tow to open water" has changed to "tow only to someplace we can work on the boat")

So... why not purchase a used outboard locally, and tow the boat yourself using your dinghy to a new cheaper mooring and work on the engine there? 'Seems logical, you'll soon need the outboard anyway.

Advice: Test the outboard before you pay the seller.

I offer my advice despite the stones being thrown at me by those without any constructive ideas to offer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 15:25   #357

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
We need to remember that we are sitting here (in my case sipping on a Bourbon) with lots of advice. They are there up to their noses in things they are trying to accomplish and probably wishing for a hot meal and a beer.

Have patience with us CareBear. Many of us really would like to help. It's 20 degrees F outside and I wish I could jump into your engine room and sweat for a while.

At one point a head gasket was mentioned. Please ask your husband/mechanic what brand and model your engine is and relay that to us. There are many folks with grease under their fingernails here and if we know make and model of the engine there may be things to watch for or a sequence or procedure that we might know that could make things go smoother and maybe even save a buck or two.
Thanks darylat8750. It's a westerbeak but I dont know what year. I will ask.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 15:36   #358
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Link to generic manual page for your engine.
Notice how to check impeller and change anodes. Cleaning out heat exchanger should be easy.

Worry is old owner didnt replace anodes and heat exchanger is rusted and this would send saltwater into coolant (and eventually even oil and transmission ). That is why I detailed checking oil and coolant before starting engine.

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf3/69...60hz_23_bg.jpg

Note: Direct engine driven pump. Ignore checking belt on pump. Although check any other belts.
pbmaise is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 15:38   #359
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now we need the type/size of dinghy.. if its a little slat floor or hard dink its not going to be up to the job.. if the guy was old school he likely rowed and kept it small.. 2/3man.
The best option would be drill some holes and strap on a bracket and 8/9hp LS to motor up to Jax.. worked pretty well with this Wauquiez.. got me from Seville, Spain to Peniche, W Portugal.. no sweat
However.. seems they're low on funds and a dubious cheapo may sink them further in the mire..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 024.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	139049  

Old 05-01-2017, 15:44   #360

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
So... why not purchase a used outboard locally, and tow the boat yourself using your dinghy to a new cheaper mooring and work on the engine there? 'Seems logical, you'll soon need the outboard anyway.

Advice: Test the outboard before you pay the seller.

I offer my advice despite the stones being thrown at me by those without any constructive ideas to offer.

The most sound advice yet!

Tags
asa