Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 12:42   #331

Boat: Scout 30
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

It might be a good idea to leave the centerboard jammed in the trunk unless you're sure you can lift it back up. I don't know what your draft is with it down but I guarantee you'll have a much easier time motoring up the ICW with it up. Another reason why a haul out would be a good idea.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:51   #332

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Wish I could help. I think the least expensive and safest thing for you to do is get the engine running and the prop/bottom cleaned then motor up the intracoastal waterway. Save off shore for later. It will only take a few bridges to get used to dealing with them. Off shore there are things that can go wrong that could be very expensive and even life threatening. On the ICW you can drop and anchor and in a worst case swim to shore.

Good Luck!
Absolutely darylat8750. Thanks.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:55   #333
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Too rough for the ICW? These folks have no business going offshore at this point, so why encourage it?
The ICW is easy and straight forward.
My understanding was that Hubby has some sailing experience.. with a working engine and S'ly winds upto 15kts they could do the trip in 2 days and a bit at 5kts.. probably less if 3miles off the coast with help from the stream.. conditions should be pretty benign.. having used these windows myself to get over the top of the Bank and head East.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:56   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I think at this point it is fruitless to point out what "mistakes" the carebears made. You don't know what you don't know. "Project boat" sounds to the experienced like a horror story, but "doable" to a couple of competent people. Writing blaming messages about it doesn't help them. FWIW, i think Kenomac's suggestion that they take the radar back to get some extra funds for helping deal with the situation they now find themselves in is at least plausible. The overall tone of that post did read "harsh", but sometimes that's how good sense sounds.

I think Scout 30 is completely correct that these new-to-boating people will be better served by some encouragement and practical advice. I also think it will help Carrie conceptualize about the fixes (even if temporary), if you guys who know so much would explain the whys behind the fixes.

We have just learned that the centerboard is jammed. Not knowing the boat at all, would it be feasible to move it to Jacksonville without fixing it? and why? or why not? Factor in the ICW vs. open ocean routes.

If it is just growth fouling the centerboard, then un-jamming it may be easy, but if it is a repair the lifting tackle job it will take longer. The boat will not sail to windward well without the centerboard. We do not know the carebears' sailing experience (would they be able to handle things at sea?).

The sea route would save them 3 days, if Boatman is correct, and if they could time it for S'ly winds. Any comments about best sources for wind predictions [weather routing] for the area (and the reasons for preferring that particular one)?

I'm sure we can help them, and that is what most of us are here for.

Ann

@ Scout 30: Thanks for all the good advice so far!

A.
Thanks again Anne. You are right . And if we cant free up that prop or centerboard ,we will be motoring up. My Husband brought the problemed head up and is working on it here. [emoji4]
Old 05-01-2017, 13:06   #335

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My understanding was that Hubby has some sailing experience.. with a working engine and S'ly winds upto 15kts they could do the trip in 2 days and a bit at 5kts.. probably less if 3miles off the coast with help from the stream.. conditions should be pretty benign.. having used these windows myself to get over the top of the Bank and head East.
I've sailed up the outside too. Certainly the preferred way. But I read this thread a little different from you as it comes to seaworthyness of boat and crew. As I said above head up the ICW to Ft Pierce or Cocoa. If all is well jump outside for the rest.
There's no good reason to encourage bigger steps from the start in this case, even if it helps add entertainment to the thread.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 13:16   #336

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Sorry, they have no business off shore. No centerboard and an untried boat, if the engine was misrepresented what about the rigging. It also sounds like limited experience. I would hate to think the thread contributed to their demise.
The sea is not forgiving.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 13:18   #337

Boat: shopping

I am a know nothing when it comes to boat purchases. But there are general guide lines on what is and is not ethical maneuvering at a settlement table involving borrowed money used for a purchase. A major material change bought to light after other papers are signed and then modifying the deal post signing would in my mind be clearly a breach of ethical standards in any type of business deal. I have been involved in many purchases and what was done here the way it has been explained is likely barred by law. It would be like buying your home and going to the settlement table and the broker telling you at the table that the interest rate you locked in weeks ago was no longer available and the rate would be a half a point higher. You just jumped through all the hoops to buy the house so what do you do? This practice is illegal every where as far as I know.
icedog11 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 13:18   #338

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Would you take a "new to you" boat with known issues to sea and plan on running two or three days straight day and night? With an inexperienced crew? I wouldn't.

The ICW makes far more sense and is safer.
Old 05-01-2017, 13:27   #339
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Hi all my husband and I are in a slip in Ft. Lauderdale and are desperately needing someone to tow us to open water or close to open water. We are sailing up to Jacksonville but need to get towed through the bridges. If anyone has a suggestion or knows someone please reply. We dont have$ 200.00 an hour but can pay something. We need to get our boat home. Thanks all. [emoji1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Thanks again Anne. You are right . And if we cant free up that prop or centerboard ,we will be motoring up. My Husband brought the problemed head up and is working on it here. [emoji4]
I've offered up some very reasonable advice (unlike most others) on how you can actually achieve your goal of bringing your boat back home.

Please tell us why you cannot return or sell your $3000 radar (that isn't needed now, and BTW is something we don't have on our boat) to come up with the money to repair your engine? We've made due with a 16 year old radar which is currently doing just fine. And.... I also recommended using your dinghy or outboard (or both together) to tow your boat under the bridges, which is exactly what we'd do if our engine quit. Why don't you what to do this?

Why not implement some of these constructive recommendations to get your boat home? It doesn't "take a village" to figure this out.

None of these CF folks who seem so eager to criticize me are offering up any sound advice nor are any of them going to come tow you out of this mess. You're going to have to do it yourself. It's all just apart of boating... stuff happens.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 13:51   #340
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Would you take a "new to you" boat with known issues to sea and plan on running two or three days straight day and night? With an inexperienced crew? I wouldn't.

The ICW makes far more sense and is safer.
Do it all the time 3 or 4 weeks days and nights straight.. I'm a delivery skipper..
Silly question..

Old 05-01-2017, 13:58   #341
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I've sailed up the outside too. Certainly the preferred way. But I read this thread a little different from you as it comes to seaworthyness of boat and crew. As I said above head up the ICW to Ft Pierce or Cocoa. If all is well jump outside for the rest.
There's no good reason to encourage bigger steps from the start in this case, even if it helps add entertainment to the thread.
You mean strapping a dinghy alongside that maybe you've never done before and wandering down the river under outboard in Ft Lauderdale isn't a big step.. the boaters and day tripper vessels charge around like crazy.. done it on an L440, a BR 54 and that was trying.. makes the Panama Canal seems quiet and peaceful..
Seen lots of posts about bow and stern line's.. but no one mentioned setting up spring lines as well..

Old 05-01-2017, 14:00   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've offered up some very reasonable advice (unlike most others) on how you can actually achieve your goal of bringing your boat back home.

Please tell us why you cannot return or sell your $3000 radar (that isn't needed now, and BTW is something we don't have on our boat) to come up with the money to repair your engine? We've made due with a 16 year old radar which is currently doing just fine. And.... I also recommended using your dinghy or outboard (or both together) to tow your boat under the bridges, which is exactly what we'd do if our engine quit. Why don't you what to do this?

Why not implement some of these constructive recommendations to get your boat home? It doesn't "take a village" to figure this out.

None of these CF folks who seem so eager to criticize me are offering up any sound advice nor are any of them going to come tow you out of this mess. You're going to have to do it yourself. It's all just apart of boating... stuff happens.
I actually have refrained from being sarcastic as you have Sir. Also, I have put our situation out here and obviously you didn't read all. That being said I will answer you. 1.When we bought the boat, the addendum was thrown at us a week before we had to move the boat or pay $1,000 a month to keep it on the previous owners private dock. 2. We had already taken the loan for the boat and sent the broker the check. And we purchased the GPS. Radar. And installed it. 3. There was No Nothing as far as GPS or electronics on the boat. That we knew. The previous owner used maps, and sexton . 4. We purchased on a Loan from our Bank. Not cash at hand. Our savings is what we kept for emergencies and fixing things on the boat. Which besides needing cosmetic, we were told no major issues. " Just motor her up and sail her home and do the cosmetic when you get home" is what we were told. And dingy? Yes . Outboard. No . Only inboard. And that needs to be repaired after we motored about 650. Ft. As my husband is experienced, it's been a while as he was in the military and not much sailing after. Which brought me here to seek Advice. And BTW Sir, we did not need a tow home, only some place where we could work on the boat. Where we are , we cannot. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:07   #343

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Wow, she finally answered SOMEONE. Even if she did have to repeat the "get off my dock" story for no reason again.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 14:08   #344
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't fret Carebear.. he's likely off his Med's..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1290325_pic_970x641.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	139036  

Old 05-01-2017, 14:14   #345

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
.. patch up the failures to get me across and leave the long term grief to the owner

I feel this should be your CF signature or at least somewhere on your web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
asa