Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 03:43   #286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't see why.. all that's in there is a non return valve to get past and its a much shorter gravity draw than from a fuel tank..
Agreed, standard fitment on all small diesel Peugeots in Europe and they use a lot more fuel per hour than a yacht engine.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pug.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	139017  
Pete7 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 04:17   #287

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No not quite.... if you've been a member of this forum over the past six years, then you'd already know that I'm the guy who seems to learn everything via the "School of Hard Knocks," then shares my experiences with others via this forum in order to spare others the same problems.

You must be a newbe. Welcome aboard.

BTW: You must have missed the OP's earlier post about her new $3000 radar not yet installed?
The radar was purchased with our loan for the boat before we moved her and found the extent of our problems. The previous owner did not use any kind of radar, GPS or any electronics on his sails. He used a sexton and paper maps. That being said, we would not have put it on the loan , nor moved the boat at all had we known. Thanks
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 04:32   #288

This thread clearly shows what the modern world is...20 pages of demagogue about liability, legal issues and other crap. Yes these guys might have made not best decision in their life. Yes, they are more in financial trouble than anything else. But it STILL trouble. Offering them "to sell this and that and your old pants" is simply ********.
It's very sad that world became such...
Back in time, if you run out of gas, you could waive your hand and get help (and tow if needed). Now everybody will think "he should have gas and engine checked in advance, should have insurance and cell phone, it's dangerous to stop due to liability issues etc, etc, etc, etc, etc". So if your cellphone is dead, you might as well die before someone "not as smart" will stop and help you. And government is helping to create such attitude all the way. Remember these "pickup is illegal" signs on the side of the road? Sure, they will find 1000 reasons for that. It's just single example, but it's literally EVERYWHERE. Everything became "illegal". Correction - any goodwill, common sense became illegal. Welcome to hellworld.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14   #289

Boat: Scout 30

This thread has devolved into nonproductive negativity. What should be one of the best times of the OP's lives will become a bad memory if all they do is focus on what they did wrong & what wrong was done to them. I don't normally sound like a cheerleader but instead of dumping on them or counseling revenge we should be helping them salvage this experience. The trials & tribulations that they are going through now will be better handled with a positive outlook & that's gonna be tough to have if they're following this thread.

I was thinking back on the boats we've owned over the years & the first trip always seems to be one of the most memorable. I'm personally wishing Carebear & her husband well & when this is all said and done I'm sure this will become a fond memory.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 07:25   #290

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Another vote for stick it to the seller and broker.

See if you can file a complaint with whatever the state brokers associations might be in Florida. I did a quick google search and found these folks:
https://www.fyba.org/

The last minute changing the deal thing is really shady. Rattle your sword at them all and maybe you can get some kind of concession from somebody.

Sometimes it's easier to just let things go in your wake, but you should at least give them a broadside before you sail off over the horizon.

And don't worry, this is boating. It seems you can't have the priceless happy days without the "I want to light the boat on fire" days as well.

We are going through the crap storm right now ourselves... it gets better! a lot better!
Trying to "stick it to" anyone is a bad idea for lots of reasons. First, it's harder than it sounds so you may not be successful and is likely to result in bad stuff happening to you. Even if you are completely right and they are wrong, in order to "stick it to" them, you're going to have to spend a bunch of your valuable time on bad, nonproductive thoughts which is no fun and you'll probably have to spend some of your money. If you really feel like you've been wronged by them, then the most I'd do is explain it to them and ask for whatever help they can offer you but be prepared to be turned down flat. If you happen across someone else planning to use their services, it's fair to (accurately) tell them your story so they don't become involved with the broker or owner who was unfair to you. But the best thing to do at this point if they won't voluntarily help you is to do your best to put even the thought of them behind you and spend your energy and time in more productive endeavors such as learning about and solving YOUR problems on YOUR boat. You'll be a lot happier and more likely to get your boat where you want it to be, which is your real goal.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00   #291
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Dont take this the wrong way like everyone on the internet does please. As a professional delivery skipper how did you get scammed? I have done more deliveries than I can count and the only thing that would get by me when buying a boat is a bad engine since I dont have a compression tester (yet!). A moisture meter and a sharp eye should get you everything you need outside of the diesel. Personally I always assume the heads are buggered and the fridge sucks and everything else is questionable. What lies did they tell you?
I did not get scammed as such.. the boat was one I had delivered to Tunisia as an owner assist from France.. considered it a bit crap at the time but.. one does not like to point out faults about someone's 'new' pride and joy.
Shortly after I left him he e-mailed and asked if I wanted the boat.. he'd had enough.. I turned him down.
3 years later he e-mailed me again saying the boat was in Malta and had been repainted, gearbox rebuilt, etc but could not sell it and could not afford to keep it would I care to take it on.. some bills outstanding but otherwise ready to go.. so.. having a rough idea how much he'd spent I figured I'd accept and when/if I sold it we'd work out a % split after any 'delivery costs'..
The new batteries installed in Malta died because of faulty installation.. the hydraulic steering seized because they did some drilling in the steerage/oil pump and they did not clean out the filings, the rebuilt gearbox exploded
and more.. what should have been a 3 week sail turned into 3 months in marina's scattered across the Med getting repairs..
2 years later she's still not ready to sail.. the funds I'd built up towards buying a boat had been blown moving her to Fig da Foz and steps forward are slow.. currently rebuilding the forecabin because the berth was so high I rubbed my shoulder on the deckhead if I rolled over.. have bought new berth and saloon cushions, new batteries.. toilet compartment needs ripping out coz he wanted a shower.. so he glassed in a floor.. trouble is the depth and speed is under there and cant be reached.. got everything new ready to go in when I get that done.. luckily I have access to a garage which I can keep stuff in.. buy something else for her after every delivery.
If I was in the UK I'd likely part her out.. engine&gearbox, mast, solar, etc.. then scrap her.. she's steel.
However in Portugal the native sailing scene is 90% smaller than the Solent area alone so that's a dead end..
As I said.. the road to Hell is paved with good intentions..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 08:08   #292

Cheap boats are very expensive. Free boats are the most expensive.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:17   #293
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Cheap boats are very expensive. Free boats are the most expensive.
And.. if you live 7,000miles from your boat.. only get work done when your on the boat.. too many bastard 'Tradesmen??' ready to rip you off if your not hovering at their shoulder while they work..
I'll never get any work done on a boat in Malta that's for sure..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 08:25   #294

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
........ 2 years later she's still not ready to sail.. the funds I'd built up towards buying a boat had been blown moving her to Fig da Foz and steps forward are slow.. currently rebuilding the forecabin because the berth was so high I rubbed my shoulder on the deckhead if I rolled over.. have bought new berth and saloon cushions, new batteries.. toilet compartment needs ripping out coz he wanted a shower.. so he glassed in a floor.. trouble is the depth and speed is under there and cant be reached.. got everything new ready to go in when I get that done.. luckily I have access to a garage which I can keep stuff in.. buy something else for her after every delivery.
If I was in the UK I'd likely part her out.. engine&gearbox, mast, solar, etc.. then scrap her.. she's steel.......
Still fighting with that good old VdS?

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-01-2017, 08:31   #295

Quote:
And.. if you live 7,000miles from your boat.. only get work done when your on the boat.. too many bastard 'Tradesmen??' ready to rip you off if your not hovering at their shoulder while they work..
I'll never get any work done on a boat in Malta that's for sure..
I think the smart thing for you to do now would be to start a thread here asking for help so we can all tell you what you did wrong.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:32   #296

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Google maps suggests its about 270 miles to their home.

I would fix the engine.
Exactly!

It's got to be fixed someplace and 270 miles is a very long tow.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35   #297

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No not quite.... if you've been a member of this forum over the past six years, then you'd already know that I'm the guy who seems to learn everything via the "School of Hard Knocks," then shares my experiences with others via this forum in order to spare others the same problems.

You must be a newbe. Welcome aboard.

BTW: You must have missed the OP's earlier post about her new $3000 radar not yet installed?
Your comment was stated somewhat crassly but may have hit the nail on the head. Their distance to home is not that far, and not vetting the boat first, it sounds like inexperience which seems common here unfortunately.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Inexperience maybe, but even Boatie got stung, and I doubt we can claim that due to inexperience.
It's the dream, and at one time or another we are all guilty of falling for the dream.
From a pure logical standpoint, it's tough to justify a boat. Only a fool owns a boat
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41   #299

When someone asks you if you want a free boat the smart answer is: I can't afford it.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:45   #300

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
When someone asks you if you want a free boat the smart answer is: I can't afford it.

It is like the depression saying, " There ain't no free Lunches.".
Cadence is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa