Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 12:17   #436

Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Bit of advice.

Move on from the discussion re your life choices - you can't color/reframe your choices and decisions in a way that appears different from what they are. People who see you as a brave adventurer will do that. People who view you as logistically challenged dreamer will do that.

Take the concrete advice from people who have more experience than you, take the money from people willing to part with it. But the more you talk about your life choices is just more time away from concrete work and actual issues of discussion you need to focus on to actually sail as opposed to becoming another boat of broken dreams.

Unsub and good luck.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:20   #437

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'm tied up right now. One of the few times as we have work to do on the boat and it can't be done at anchor. There are feral cats here. We love cats having, in the past, as many as three in the house at a time. There's a sign saying, "don't feed the feral cats". We do not feed the cats.

It's not because we obey signs blindly. It's because feeding them just exacerbates the problem.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:27   #438

Boat: Mako 28

Sorry Carebear for getting you to start the fund to help you out looks like it's going the opposite way. I had no idea it would turn out like this. Good luck and I hope you get that old girl home.
Cockeye429 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30   #439

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So... why don't you move your boat to a cheaper dock in the manner I outlined a few pages back? Instead of asking others to pay your high dock fees. Three months ago we shpped for the cheapest best deal on a place to keep our boat for off season repairs. Why can't you do the same?

I can just imagine the response I'd get if I started a "gofundme" because I prefered to stay in Porto Cervo instead of San Giorgio di Nogaro.

Looks like I was right all along.... you just want others to bail you out of your mistake. No attempt by you to find a cheaper mooring.
We do move to a cheaper dock. I posted that a long time ago. And I did say as well, we would have shipped the boat, but the this that are wrong with the boat, weren't supposed to be. There is only so much you can check . But just human not perfect.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 12:33   #440
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Don't close it down just coz some are bitchin.. leave it up there and time will tell.. also keep up a progress report and as has been stated.. ease off the personals.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Bit of advice.

Move on from the discussion re your life choices - you can't color/reframe your choices and decisions in a way that appears different from what they are. People who see you as a brave adventurer will do that. People who view you as logistically challenged dreamer will do that.

Take the concrete advice from people who have more experience than you, take the money from people willing to part with it. But the more you talk about your life choices is just more time away from concrete work and actual issues of discussion you need to focus on to actually sail as opposed to becoming another boat of broken dreams.

Unsub and good luck.
You are right . I have faith and really dont mind the criticism. People often help in different ways and don't even realize it. It's how we choose to perceive it. Thanks [emoji4]
Old 06-01-2017, 12:35   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye429 View Post
Sorry Carebear for getting you to start the fund to help you out looks like it's going the opposite way. I had no idea it would turn out like this. Good luck and I hope you get that old girl home.
No worries Cockeye. You did a good thing. Never feel bad about doing good. Not too many of us left out there. [emoji4]
Old 06-01-2017, 13:02   #443

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Wow, I am gone for two days, and this happens....I am not going to waste my time reading this, as I can offer no assistance, nor am I close enough for that matter.

Carebear, good luck to you..please post an update, maybe a new thread as this one just looks like it is filled with rife...

best wishes...
Old 06-01-2017, 13:12   #444

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye429 View Post
Your starting a fund was magnanimous. However a solicitation for funds, from the OP, turned me from empathy to apathy.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 13:15   #445

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
No worries Cockeye. You did a good thing. Never feel bad about doing good. Not too many of us left out there. [emoji4]
I think it's great if someone wants to send another CF member some money to help out with their boat or to buy them a drink or for any other reason. None of my business. But I don't think it's fair to suggest that others, who choose to spend their money in other ways or donate to causes unrelated to fixing a yacht, or prefer to remain anonymous in their giving (or not giving) don't do much more "good" than someone trying to encourage many other to donate to someone fixing their yacht. The fact that apparently most CF'ers have something else they'd prefer to do with their hard earned dollars is NO indication that there are "not many of us left out there" who are dedicated and eager to do good things for their fellow man.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 13:22   #446

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Your starting a fund was magnanimous. However a solicitation for funds, from the OP, turned me from empathy to apathy.
Whether you are sympathetic to this story or not, there's lots worse things on Gofundme asking for your money, such as crack whores who killed their own children through their negligence and want you to pay for the funeral. There's lots worse stuff to get bent out of shape over than this or self inflicted starving Africans.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 13:26   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Wow, I am gone for two days, and this happens....I am not going to waste my time reading this, as I can offer no assistance, nor am I close enough for that matter.

Carebear, good luck to you..please post an update, maybe a new thread as this one just looks like it is filled with rife...

best wishes...
Will do Land Cruiser. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2017, 13:26   #448

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Wow, I am gone for two days, and this happens....I am not going to waste my time reading this

I will give you a quick Summation, save you from reading 30 pages:

A nice couple from JAX bought a boat in FLL, They were supposed to be able to keep her there for a few months to get her in condition to move her to JAX, they work so can only come down on weekends.

Owner of the dock said move now. Engine over heated , got a tow to another dock but pricey. They asked for a tow out to the sea buoy so they could sail north.

37 sea lawyers then debated the liability aspects of a personal tow (10 pages worth)

Intracoastal cruisers cautioned on the terrors of being “outside” without two engines four liferaftts six epirbs and direct lines to SeaTow. (5 pages)

A CF member started a fund for them, now they are the cause of children starving in Africa and all that is wrong with the USA. (5 pages)

They bought a radar and a lunch at subway, people are demanding they return both and spend the money on more sensible things. (epirbs, liferafts etc) (10 pages)

Several CF’ers have challenged each other to Duels over how to tow with a dingy.

And a few helpful suggestions.

That is about it, but I am sure there is more to come!

M
captmikem is offline   Reply
Old 06-01-2017, 13:30   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post

A nice couple from JAX bought a boat in FLL, They were supposed to be able to keep her there for a few months to get her in condition to move her to JAX, they work so can only come down on weekends.

Owner of the dock said move now. Engine over heated , got a tow to another dock but pricey. They asked for a tow out to the sea buoy so they could sail north.

37 sea lawyers then debated the liability aspects of a personal tow (10 pages worth)

Intracoastal cruisers cautioned on the terrors of being “outside” without two engines four liferaftts six epirbs and direct lines to SeaTow. (5 pages)

A CF member started a fund for them, now they are the cause of children starving in Africa and all that is wrong with the USA. (5 pages)

They bought a radar and a lunch at subway, people are demanding they return both and spend the money on more sensible things. (epirbs, liferafts etc) (10 pages)

Several CF’ers have challenged each other to Duels over how to tow with a dingy.

M
Wow. I guess you pretty much summoned it up Capt. Mike. Nice .
Old 06-01-2017, 13:32   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post

M
Thanks! Could you take a look at a few other threads?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa