Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 14:04   #226

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Glad to hear your new boat does not have a permanently installed, below-decks, outboard type primer bulb - that's a big ABYC no-no.
Can you explain why an inline primer bulb is less safe than an electric fuel pump or no pump? I'm pretty sure that almost every 20+ year old cruising boat that has been worked on by their owners have all sorts of things that aren't quite what ABYC's current standards demand but they work just fine.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:08   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Can you explain why an inline primer bulb is less safe than an electric fuel pump or no pump? I'm pretty sure that almost every 20+ year old cruising boat that has been worked on by their owners have all sorts of things that aren't quite what ABYC's current standards demand but they work just fine.

They get eaten up by Diesel fuel, get soft and leak like the devil.
Not in one day or two, but it will happen

Look here a few posts down http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/hall_of_fail
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:18   #228
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

So.. bought on trust of the Brokers and Owners word.. no surveyor to sue for not spotting the Centreboard etc.. the dipstick should have red flagged the blown head gasket..
Sounds like you got what I did in trusting the owners word and a Dutch 'Experts' cowboy repairs..
15,000 euros spent getting her home and an ongoing project that I sometimes almost want to motor offshore and sink..
Your lucky.. less than 400 miles and the same country.. mine was 2000nm through the Med and up the Atlantic coast.
The road to bankruptcy is paved with good intentions..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:18   #229

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I have an inline primer bulb and it quite literally probably saved our lives. It certainly saved the boat.

I just put it on my replacement schedule and change it every two years. The last two I took out still looked perfectly good, so the best of them is in the spares basket.

Sometimes I think these often quoted standards are a blinker to common sense.
Old 04-01-2017, 14:25   #230
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They get eaten up by Diesel fuel, get soft and leak like the devil.
Not in one day or two, but it will happen

Look here a few posts down The Hall of FAIL Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Dunno about in the USA.. but here in Europe companies like Ruggerini have been making and selling diesel outboards for over 25yrs.. like everything.. inspection is needed from time to time.
When they fail its internal.. nothing jets out all over the place.. treat it like an impeller.. carry a spare.

Old 04-01-2017, 14:26   #231

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury

When the buyers began negotiations they understood they would have ample time to prepare the vessel for transit on the open sea. The Defendant was made well aware of this intention.

Clearly the Defendant backed away from this agreement owing to wanting to rent the slip at a high profit. PROFIT is what motivated the seller to change the contract. And When that contract changed the boat changed too.

No longer was the boat unfit for the voyage. Naye, the Defendant now took on a pledge that vessel was seaworthy. Certainly the Defendants are not going to claim that they intended the boat pushed into the sea where it would flounder.

You see good people. That contract can't stipulate an unsound boat must be moved immediately.

Instead the seller implied by the request that the vessel was sound.

Therefore, it was entirely reasonable for my clients to return the vessel to the original slip and demand full payment for towing expenses and storage else where.

Further they should be allowed free use of the slip until March 2017. Afterall they lost all this time moving the boat around.

Further we are seeking damages of $25,000 for mental stress caused to this couple.

Greedy bastard sellers lied about some lame medical excuse and failed to produce medical records.

Now regarding the shot gun blasts to the sellers car....

Seriously Carrie. Go back to the seller and stop acting like a Carebear and more like a Grizzly Bear. Get your money back for all expenses they put you through or threaten to hire a lawyer that will skin them alive.

Clearly the seller failed to maintain the vessel in a seaworthy condition and clearly no reasonable jury would agree you should face these pressures to launch a vessel you are not confident with into the open ocean.
Wow. If this is true, then we should do that. But do we contact the broker or the previous owners?
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:31   #232

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. bought on trust of the Brokers and Owners word.. no surveyor to sue for not spotting the Centreboard etc.. the dipstick should have red flagged the blown head gasket..
Sounds like you got what I did in trusting the owners word and a Dutch 'Experts' cowboy repairs..
15,000 euros spent getting her home and an ongoing project that I sometimes almost want to motor offshore and sink..
Your lucky.. less than 400 miles and the same country.. mine was 2000nm through the Med and up the Atlantic coast.
The road to bankruptcy is paved with good intentions..[emoji3]
Hahaha. . Yes boatman61. Maybe true,but as she may be good for sailing, and has a lot of potential, we were under the impression that she motors as well. Thanks .
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:35   #233
SFS

Carrie, it seems like you are learning some valuable lessons the hardest way possible. I really am sorry you are going through all this.

Now that you have given us a few more details, there will be other responses (probably a lot of them), and some may offer you additional advice. I offer only this: don't spend ANY more money on "gear" unless it is absolutely needed to get you home. Literally, not a dime. Take the first year, use the boat as much as possible, THEN decide what the boat really needs or doesn't need, based on the way you use it.

I almost cried when I read that you had spent $3000 on radar.
SFS is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:40   #234

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The road to bankruptcy is paved with good intentions.. [emoji3]
Dont take this the wrong way like everyone on the internet does please. As a professional delivery skipper how did you get scammed? I have done more deliveries than I can count and the only thing that would get by me when buying a boat is a bad engine since I dont have a compression tester (yet!). A moisture meter and a sharp eye should get you everything you need outside of the diesel. Personally I always assume the heads are buggered and the fridge sucks and everything else is questionable. What lies did they tell you?

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:41   #235

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It is buyer be where. Anything not in ink ain't worth a damn. It is, she said he said. I hope you get her home.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 14:45   #236

Welcome to boat ownership

Obviously some lessons learned but that's water over the dam. Making this into a legal fight is likely to cost you more - and take more time - than just pushing ahead.

I agree with other's concerns about taking this boat out into the ocean in its current state -- especially given the surprises this boat has already thrown your way. Things can get very bad, very fast out in the ocean. Why risk it?

The fact the engine ran at all is a great sign. Overheating is a very common boat problem. I'd guess 90%+ of the people on this board have had it happen at one time or another. It's almost never something as bad as a head gasket.

Has your husband changed the raw water impeller? This is routine maintenance. I change mine every year.

Next, clean any grass out of the water strainer. Then, with the engine running check that you're getting a good flow of cooling water out the transom. Measure the gallons per minute by holding a bucket under it. Someone on this board has the same engine and could tell you if your cooling flow is about normal.

And if your husband hasn't already done it, change the oil, oil filter, fuel filters, and v-belt before thinking of going out.

You need to do all of the above anyways and it will cost about $100 if you do it yourself.

Good luck.
CarlF is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 15:05   #237

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Welcome to boat ownership

Obviously some lessons learned but that's water over the dam. Making this into a legal fight is likely to cost you more - and take more time - than just pushing ahead.

I agree with other's concerns about taking this boat out into the ocean in its current state -- especially given the surprises this boat has already thrown your way. Things can get very bad, very fast out in the ocean. Why risk it?

The fact the engine ran at all is a great sign. Overheating is a very common boat problem. I'd guess 90%+ of the people on this board have had it happen at one time or another. It's almost never something as bad as a head gasket.

Has your husband changed the raw water impeller? This is routine maintenance. I change mine every year.

Next, clean any grass out of the water strainer. Then, with the engine running check that you're getting a good flow of cooling water out the transom. Measure the gallons per minute by holding a bucket under it. Someone on this board has the same engine and could tell you if your cooling flow is about normal.

And if your husband hasn't already done it, change the oil, oil filter, fuel filters, and v-belt before thinking of going out.

You need to do all of the above anyways and it will cost about $100 if you do it yourself.

Good luck.
Sounds like sound advise. Might not hurt to take a swim and insure the intake and prop aren't fouled. I've seen a bunch about carbon in the exhaust elbow, I can't speak to that.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 15:09   #238
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Just to clarify as I don't know the route to her home port...

Is it part open water journey or only ICW?
Pelagic is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 15:11   #239

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Just to clarify as I don't know the route to her home port...

Is it part open water journey or only ICW?
She wants to go offshore because the bridges are intimidating.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 15:15   #240
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

All they need is a 3day window of S'lies.. not uncommon..

Closed Thread

Tags
asa