Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 06:53   #211
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Yap
Consider one empty jerrycan for fuel return
Forget the tank
Possibly buy new hose pipes and clips
Transparent jerrycans are cheaper and allow you to see where your curved hose pipe ends up !
Same tank is better.. lengthens time between swapping over.. you'd be amazed but the return sends back twice as much fuel as the engine burns.. learnt the hard way..

PS; a rubber bulb pump as for outboards on the fuel line around halfway is needed as well for priming the fuel pump at the start and after slow swap overs if the pump runs dry.. sorry CareBear.. that seemed to obvious to say..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 08:28   #212

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Same tank is better.. lengthens time between swapping over.. you'd be amazed but the return sends back twice as much fuel as the engine burns.. learnt the hard way..

PS; a rubber bulb pump as for outboards on the fuel line around halfway is needed as well for priming the fuel pump at the start and after slow swap overs if the pump runs dry.. sorry CareBear.. that seemed to obvious to say..
That's a great solution to get you home rather than trying to completely clean out the boats tank before you get it home.

I realize that this will be old news to most CFers, but may help out the OP as they set the boat up for themselves over the next year or so. I found that the outboard type bulb in fuel line works well in the permanent fuel line too, and it's also a good idea to insert a valve just prior to the bulb so when you take the top off the Racor to replace a filter, the fuel in the line doesn't all run back into the tank and have to be pumped all the way back from there. The bulb itself will help with that somewhat but it's nice to have a valve so you can shut if off entirely for maintenance and it costs almost nothing. My current boat has dual Racors and an electric fuel pump so it's not an issue, but my previous boat had a single Racor and I added the bulb/valve setup mentioned above and could change a Racor with the engine shut down for less than a minute from start to finish. Shut down engine, close inline valve if installed (not really necessary for a quick change), remove the dirty filter and drop it in a Ziploc sandwich bag that you immediately seal, replace the O ring, insert the new filter, open the valve, give the bulb a slow squeeze as you watch the fuel level in the Racor rise to the top, then drop cover on Racor, screw wingnut or pressure gauge down tight, and you're on your way. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way about the importance of preventing fuel from running all the way back into the tank during a filter change.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 08:40   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
That's a great solution to get you home rather than trying to completely clean out the boats tank before you get it home.

I realize that this will be old news to most CFers, but may help out the OP as they set the boat up for themselves over the next year or so. I found that the outboard type bulb in fuel line works well in the permanent fuel line too, and it's also a good idea to insert a valve just prior to the bulb so when you take the top off the Racor to replace a filter, the fuel in the line doesn't all run back into the tank and have to be pumped all the way back from there. The bulb itself will help with that somewhat but it's nice to have a valve so you can shut if off entirely for maintenance and it costs almost nothing. My current boat has dual Racors and an electric fuel pump so it's not an issue, but my previous boat had a single Racor and I added the bulb/valve setup mentioned above and could change a Racor with the engine shut down for less than a minute from start to finish. Shut down engine, close inline valve if installed (not really necessary for a quick change), remove the dirty filter and drop it in a Ziploc sandwich bag that you immediately seal, replace the O ring, insert the new filter, open the valve, give the bulb a slow squeeze as you watch the fuel level in the Racor rise to the top, then drop cover on Racor, screw wingnut or pressure gauge down tight, and you're on your way. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way about the importance of preventing fuel from running all the way back into the tank during a filter change.
Glad to hear your new boat does not have a permanently installed, below-decks, outboard type primer bulb - that's a big ABYC no-no.
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 09:00   #214
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Glad to hear your new boat does not have a permanently installed, below-decks, outboard type primer bulb - that's a big ABYC no-no.
But of course.. it eliminates the need for a technician..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 10:01   #215

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But of course.. it eliminates the need for a technician..
I am very grateful for all of you here at CF. Even the harsh advise had some good info. We will be heading back to Ft Lauderdale this weekend, and will update then. Again thanks to all who responded to our post. [emoji1]
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 10:08   #216

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
What? None of your guys have had a wife before? You know;
Him 'OK we've got a few problems let's get down and fix them.'
Her 'we need some help, let's ask strangers for help'
Him 'go ahead, ask away I'll keep working on this over heating problem'
Her 'the forum said to check the impeller and the water intake'
Him 'yes I'm changing the impeller right now'
Her 'did you check the intake strainer?'
Him 'it's under water'
Her 'what if I can find someone to tow us to our slip?'
Him 'go ahead and ask, I'll keep working on this until you find someone who wants to tow us through the bridges. Almost finished'
Her 'so far no one wants to help'
Him 'big surprise, looks like the impeller was bad. We should be OK to motor out'
Her 'I don't know, wouldn't it be better to have a professional look at it?'

Of course I'm just a little jaded and probably far off base. :^)
Thanks for the chuckle.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 10:24   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post

Incidentally, it was a way to question why the co-owner never surfaced here for better info (namely, model/type of engine first)
We asked, still no answer. As I mentioned, if she had my engine, I'd point them to any numbers of links about curing their overheating. Not sure whether its the volume of responses, Reading Comprehension 101, her husband wanting to fix it himself, or some other issue. They're home now during the week.

cb, good luck again.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 12:29   #218

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Boaties posts #s 204 and 211 will work for the fuel issues. Make sure the bottom and prop are clean so that the boat is maneuverable. As long as the water stays on the outside, you guys should be able to cope.

In an ideal world, it would be best to make everything "just so" before you take the boat to Jacksonville, but cobbled together solutions can work, and at least let you make the attempt, rather than spinning your wheels.

Good luck with it,

Ann

PS. @ goat: thank you for the generous apology
Old 04-01-2017, 12:44   #219

Boat: wanting a cat

I have pm'ed her with my buddy's details who is a boat mechanic in Ft. Lauderdale. I talked to him about the situation and he said that he would be glad to help.

He can source anything boat related at cost...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 13:01   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
@a64pilot
That's the right attitude in my eyes.
Far to little helpfulness and far to much lawyers running around these days.
That leads to people beeing scared to be helpful because they might get sued by some idiot down the line.
Sad times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
There's a huge difference between helping someone encountering difficulty out there and bringing them back vs towing someone out to fend for themselves.
No, there's not a huge difference! Someone needs some help and it should be self-evident to give it. Sad times indeed.
250224 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 13:06   #221

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

No one refused to help her. She refuses to help herself when she refuses to respond to people trying to help her. The only people she responds to are those who tell her what she wants to hear.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 13:09   #222

Boat: wanting a cat

Might be many other issues involved that we don't know about on her end...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 13:26   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
No one refused to help her. She refuses to help herself when she refuses to respond to people trying to help her. The only people she responds to are those who tell her what she wants to hear.
I didn't read all posts, but the ones I read were friendly and I didn't perceive what you wrote.

Maybe it's because of the States and the lawyers but I find it terrible how much today people seem to contemplate if they can help or if it is 'too dangerous'. One time I also got asked about a tow. It was not long, but very inconvenient as I was already late. However it had to be done, they needed it, I was there.
250224 is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 13:30   #224

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Nobody refused to tow her either. Not one single person in here said "I will not tow you." Nobody in their right mind is going to volunteer to tow someone without some details. If you're going to ask someone to help you, you should have the decency to answer the questions you are asked about the help you require. It's not unusual to think you need something different than you are asking for.

I currently have someone helping me fix something on my boat because I'm incapable of doing it myself. But I didn't tell him yes you can work on my boat if I tell you how to do it.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 04-01-2017, 13:58   #225

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Hi all my husband and I are in a slip in Ft. Lauderdale and are desperately needing someone to tow us to open water or close to open water. We are sailing up to Jacksonville but need to get towed through the bridges. If anyone has a suggestion or knows someone please reply. We dont have$ 200.00 an hour but can pay something. We need to get our boat home. Thanks all. [emoji1]
Hello CF . I know a lot of you are wondering why my first post. At first, I was jumping ahead about the tow. I went back and looked and doing this on a boat and a phone , makes it difficult to see the whole thing. And everyone's replies. I apologize for not being clear. We have been excited and busy and not much sleep. That being said, I will explain to all. My Husband and I have been searching for a boat for some time. We have encountered bad people and good people on that journey. Then we meet these people and the broker and fell in love with the boat. We are too old to get into thousands in payments ,and we both feel older boats in Need of TLC and one owner would be built better and taken care of better. We have looked in Jacksonville, and found that almost everything within price range was not kept up and had had several owners that knew virtually nothing about the vessel or asking too much for how it was maintained. No haul outs in Jacksonville and no way of a correct survey. So we decided after speaking with some , they said that looking south would be better idea. And it was. The previous owner and his wife was very confident that this boat would motor us up the New river and sail like a dream. The broker felt the same. So we took several trips down to see the boat and sign papers. And originally we all signed for us to keep the boat in Their slip until February but we would probably be able to get her ready around the middle of Jan. Then on the day we closed, the broker brings up this addendum that we had to sign that says we had to move her from their dock by the next weekend. Or we had to pay $1,000 for dockage. So at this point, we of course had much time and money invested . We already took the loan and had dockage set up where we live. So we moved her from their dock to a cheaper dock for a month so my husband could look this over and we could get her ready to sail. We didn't get half way up the channel when we lost reverse gear. $225.00 later got towed to the dock we were taking her to. My Husband spent all weekend on the gear shifter and ended up buying a new one. No big deal. So another weekend we had to come back down. At this point, we spent 3,000 on a radar, and other things . Insurance and tow insurance in place, we go back down again to get sails ready and such. Bought plenty to get us though until we got home. We got 650 ft. And the engine is overheated. This is when I contacted CF I thought we would need a tow to a little more of an open space because she has been sitting so long. And BoatsUs said because we haven't had the insurance 30 days, they would charge full price. 485.00. To go 650ft. Okay what choice did we have? Anyhow , yes, time is an issue because we both work and were under the impression that she would motor and sail, just needed some TLC that was more cosmetic and we knew this. Or we would not have attempted to motor up and sail. But savings running down, over the last month, we know we have to get her home. If we knew before we moved to the other dock that the head gasket was blown and the centerboard was struck and whatever else is wrong. We would have just de-mast her and shipped her up, but this is where we are now. Again, thank you all for being here. [emoji4]

Carrie
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa