Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02   #61

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

carebear, let's start over again.

If the engine is working, and experience is not an issue, why do you need assistance in navigating the boat out to open water? What is the specific issue with respect to maneuverability? Is the rudder/steering not functioning? Is there some other issue with the boat that makes it difficult to maneuver?

To be clear, if there is some issue with the steering, that is going to make towing extremely difficult if not impossible, particularly in crowded/narrow waterways.

If you could tell us what the specific issue is you'll get more help either in terms of advice or reasonable offers of assistance.
Suijin is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04   #62

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Good god, somesome go help these people. They need a tow, not a psychology session, with a bunch of self important sailboat skippers. Is this how it's done now a days.

I'm embarrassed after a quick game of 100 questions, these folks could be well on their way. Not one of you know if they are or are not sailors, the fact that they purchased a sailboat indicates they have at least some skills sets.

What they lack is funds, for a tow, they chance loosing their,boat, without fellow sailor assistance. These people reached out to that community, for help, and all they get is a Load of crap.

Nicely done gentleman.

Dirk Williams
Moss Landing Ca.
"The fact that they purchased a sailboat indicates they have at least some skill sets" Really, what skill set does it take to buy a sailboat or anything else except money in an account and a pen in hand with the ability to write a check? Maybe they do have lots of skill but buying a boat doesn't even hint at that and they haven't even spelled out exactly what the problem is that causes them to want a tow. Why do you think they need a tow, given they have a boat with a working engine? I'd really like to know the answer to that question. Towing a boat in the close quarters of parts of the south Florida ICW is a difficult thing to accomplish without interfering with other boaters or hitting obstacles, so operating the boat under it's own power would be much safer and less cumbersome, and yet they specifically ask for a tow. That seems odd and requires a viable explanation.

Since you are posting on this site, you are presumably part of the community you are so critical of. And yet YOU apparently haven't volunteered to help these people in any way. I'm sure you have your reasons for not stepping forward just as those you criticize also have their/our reasons.

If these people were near my boat so I could get to them in a reasonable amount of time, I'd have no problem towing them if I agreed that was the appropriate solution to their problem. But until they divulge exactly what their problem is that prevents them from being able to proceed under their own power as well as WHY they feel like a tow is an appropriate solution rather than making necessary repairs where the boat is currently located, I wouldn't do it because I'd fear I'd be towing them "from the frying pan into the fire" rather than actually helping them solve their problem. If they were more forthcoming with details, and the need for a tow became clear, I'm very sure that many members of this site who have boats in south Florida would be more than willing to help. But as things stand now, I can fully understand why there's a general reluctance.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post

I'm guessing you've not spent much time in Florida...
Also he's fairly new to CF so has not experienced how many times folks without a clue pop up from nowhere saying..
"I just bought a boat.. HELP..!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09   #64

Boat: Camano Troll

First, you can't have a problem and then get insurance to cover it. It's the other way around.

Second, and more importantly, unless I really missed something, your boat runs, you're just afraid to drive it in heavy traffic. TowBoatUS isn't going to tow your boat because of that, there has to be something wrong with it.

If your boat is seaworthy and steers and runs, I'm sure you can find someone to captain it for less than the cost of towing. There are folks out there who do this sort of thing for a living. Ask around marinas.

You might even find someone willing to drive your boat just for train fare back home.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:20   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It would seem as if Carebear has left the building ?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10   #66

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Back forty or more years ago, before Sea Tow and Boat US, we all towed each other. Anytime you were out fishing and saw the cover off of an outboard, you trolled over and offered help, everybody did.

Lucky I guess, but we never had to be towed back, but we towed several, I remember that.
Back many years, I used to race a Sonar (23 foot kirby design) with no motor. After the race, we would often be becalmed. We would bring a 6pack of cold beer in a small cooler. We usually had no trouble getting a tow, and would reward the good samaritan with the cold beers. I don't think it counts as pay to share a beer on a summer day, but I'm no lawyer.

Not many people these days will go sailing without an engine, but I still think of it as a challenge and a thrill. When the outboard quit on my C&C25, I still went sailing while the engine was at a shop for repairs. The summer here is too short to miss any good sailing day.
hamburking is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18   #67

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Back many years, I used to race a Sonar (23 foot kirby design) with no motor. After the race, we would often be becalmed. We would bring a 6pack of cold beer in a small cooler. We usually had no trouble getting a tow, and would reward the good samaritan with the cold beers. I don't think it counts as pay to share a beer on a summer day, but I'm no lawyer.

Not many people these days will go sailing without an engine, but I still think of it as a challenge and a thrill. When the outboard quit on my C&C25, I still went sailing while the engine was at a shop for repairs. The summer here is too short to miss any good sailing day.
You can't sail without an engine on much of the AICW and in particular, not through drawbridges. The bridge tender might tale pity on you and let you through but you're supposed to be under power.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:20   #68
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

The boat in this case (OP), is 39 feet long and has a 24,000 pound displacement, and unspecified "maneuvering" or engine issues.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40   #69

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Guys, I know your good men, my frustration come from the predicament our world has created. I just refused to be saddled with living my life worried about liability.

Use to be rules that were under the heading " Good Samaritan" where communities such as this looked after one another.

What amases me about this sailing community is, many here will sail out into a storm to salvage a friends boat. Commendable.

What saddens me is, no-one is lifting a finger to help a couple out, in your backyard.

Life's about choices, help, not help is an individual choice. I have to trust your judgement.

Have a good one.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 09:57   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think all kinds of people would help, all they ask is a little info.
For example, if I were near, I'm a decent Diesel mechanic, unless its really torn up I could likely get it going if its not running, and that would likely be more help than a tow?

See I believe in payback, Karma if you will, but I believe if you help others, that good things will come your way. I remember seeing an old VW broke down on a bridge in Savannah years ago, when I stopped two very attractive, very pregnant women got out, it had a broken throttle cable, I had a spare, 5 min fix.
A year later or so when I was in the NCO academy the cable broke in our VW, a stranger pulled over and made a temporary repair and got my wife going.

What goes around, comes around.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03   #71

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
What saddens me is, no-one is lifting a finger to help a couple out, in your backyard.
I've tried to keep up with this thread, but the OP has been vague in response to very reasonable questions; please forgive me if I've missed something, but this sounds like the OP may have some hidden agenda. I can't understand the seeming reluctance to answer specific questions.

I would be very reluctant to suggest that no one has tried to help the OP. I'm not as experienced as many of you here, but I've never sailed anywhere that did not have sailors more than willing to help others in need. Has the OP asked for help from neighboring sailors? Has anyone who has personal knowledge of the situation posted here? Has anyone received a private message?

Very curious.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09   #72

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Guys, I know your good men, my frustration come from the predicament our world has created. I just refused to be saddled with living my life worried about liability.

Use to be rules that were under the heading " Good Samaritan" where communities such as this looked after one another.

What amases me about this sailing community is, many here will sail out into a storm to salvage a friends boat. Commendable.

Life's about choices, help, not help is an individual choice. I have to trust your judgement.

Have a good one.

Dirk
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think all kinds of people would help, all they ask is a little info.
For example, if I were near, I'm a decent Diesel mechanic, unless its really torn up I could likely get it going if its not running, and that would likely be more help than a tow?

See I believe in payback, Karma if you will, but I believe if you help others, that good things will come your way. I remember seeing an old VW broke down on a bridge in Savannah years ago, when I stopped two very attractive, very pregnant women got out, it had a broken throttle cable, I had a spare, 5 min fix.
A year later or so when I was in the NCO academy the cable broke in our VW, a stranger pulled over and made a temporary repair and got my wife going.

What goes around, comes around.
c'est le ton qui fait la musique.
Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:23   #73

Boat: GibSea 472

Have you ever tought of attaching a dinghy equiped with a small outboard motor on one side of your boat and do the job of dispacing the yacht by yourself?. The important thing is to attach solidly the dinghy fore an aft on the side of your yacht, center the dinghy motor and start it. A person can be in the dinghy, but all steering is done with the yacht. Choose a good weather, the least current possible, and you will be able to move your boat with surprising ease. Just to give you an idea, I've tested the trick with my 47 ft sailboatwith an 2.5 hp Suzuki OB attached, and as was able to run at 2.5 to 3 knots with a small chop running. The start is quite slow, because of the inertia of the sailboat, but slowly speed and control are reached and evreything works well to the point where there is no need to have anyone in the dinghy.
By the way, it is sadding to read all those legal/liability excuses for not helping in USA. Every body seems scared to death to just trying to help someone in need, and that is strange in a opulent society where every body is covered to the neck by liability insurances...
Elie is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26   #74

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A long time ago I told my friend he is the only person I would tow if he needed it. I have towed people 4 times with no real success. It is very difficult to tow another boat much further than off a sandbar.

Neither boat handles well, the boat doing the towing will need constant steering correcetions as well as the boat being towed.

In other words towing another boat is a PITA.
Towing isn't a problem, if set up correctly. I would be concerned about liability if it is done for money. No tow boat operator's license is required if the tow boat is less than 24ft. I believe doing it when it is not a distress situation of not the same legally. If a boat is under tow bridges are required to open regardless of their scheduled openings.
Take what I say with a grain of salt.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 10:36   #75

Quote:

Have a good one.

Dirk
The problem is the post is vague, the OP states there's no problem with the engine, but wants a tow etc etc. I'm not sure anyone can figure out what's going on.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa