Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 20:25   #166

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
We need a tow because of bridges in Ft. Lauderdale. Not engine issues. We have engine power, but not a way to maneuver the boat in the heavy traffic in the isles. Thanks[emoji1]
This doesn't make sense to me. People motor down the ICW all winter long. A million boats. No one needs a tow.

Don't be nervous. Just put her in gear and go.
Old 02-01-2017, 20:29   #167

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
You are awesome in your reply jimbunyard. While I am looking for advice or help, my husband is working on the engine. And as I have been a bit frustrated after all the money spent and time driving down 300+ miles, over the last month, and not knowing anyone here, bottom line is we do not and will not take her out to open water without everything in order, however, where we are located, is not ideal for testing ,fixing or running up and down the river. That being said, we are still here, but have to work So back to Jacksonville in a rental I guess. Very disheartening for us, another week of not getting her home. Anyhow, thanks so much for your concern and knowledgeable input. I do try to respond to everyone in CF. But we are busy trying to get to solutions and working hard to get her going. So some may not be read or responed to quickly. But I'm trying to get to everyone. 😊
Sorry just read this. Hang in there! You will get there and it will all be worth it. But yeah be safe and watch your weather windows.
Old 02-01-2017, 21:34   #168
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury

When the buyers began negotiations they understood they would have ample time to prepare the vessel for transit on the open sea. The Defendant was made well aware of this intention.

Clearly the Defendant backed away from this agreement owing to wanting to rent the slip at a high profit. PROFIT is what motivated the seller to change the contract. And When that contract changed the boat changed too.

No longer was the boat unfit for the voyage. Naye, the Defendant now took on a pledge that vessel was seaworthy. Certainly the Defendants are not going to claim that they intended the boat pushed into the sea where it would flounder.

You see good people. That contract can't stipulate an unsound boat must be moved immediately.

Instead the seller implied by the request that the vessel was sound.

Therefore, it was entirely reasonable for my clients to return the vessel to the original slip and demand full payment for towing expenses and storage else where.

Further they should be allowed free use of the slip until March 2017. Afterall they lost all this time moving the boat around.

Further we are seeking damages of $25,000 for mental stress caused to this couple.

Greedy bastard sellers lied about some lame medical excuse and failed to produce medical records.

Now regarding the shot gun blasts to the sellers car....

Seriously Carrie. Go back to the seller and stop acting like a Carebear and more like a Grizzly Bear. Get your money back for all expenses they put you through or threaten to hire a lawyer that will skin them alive.

Clearly the seller failed to maintain the vessel in a seaworthy condition and clearly no reasonable jury would agree you should face these pressures to launch a vessel you are not confident with into the open ocean.
pbmaise is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 21:35   #169

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

As good an example as I have ever read of better living through chemicals.
Old 02-01-2017, 21:47   #170

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Carebear- Not now, but after you reach your destination, IF you feel it is appropriate, please tell the group the name of the broker. I cannot be sure, but it sounds as if the seller himself may not have been in the best of shape for answering questions. I am sure virtually all of us would like to hear more bout the problem, the resolution, and the journey once you have the time and feel able to do so. Best wishes for a good repair, fair winds, and a safe and uneventful journey home.
Old 02-01-2017, 23:25   #171

Quote:
Hi Badsanta. I guess I would be considered as the first mate. I came on CF to get insight and tips and make cruising friend's out there. My Husband is from Cali. And sailed and was a scuba diver instructor. And has knowledge of sailing. And experience. I, on the other hand, have taken online courses and such, but have not sailed. We have been looking to buy a boat for a couple of years now and found the one we wanted ,but it's 280 NM away from home. When we bought the boat, we were supposed to keep it at the previous owners private dock until February , but I guess because of medical reasons they threw an addendum in our sales agreement that we had to move it by that weekend when we closed. We already purchased the boat as is. So we moved her about 10 mins away down the New River. And yes we had some close calls with the congested canal and EXPESIVE Yachts,but we had no time to take her out , We docked her on another private slip at cost and have driven down every weekend to work on the boat to get her ready to sail. Now where were at is we are over heating and can't work on the boat here. And we have already paid over 800.00 in Towing because we were rushed. Had we known this, as much as we love the boat, we would have not took this route. That being said, we are already attached to the boat and want to get her ready to sail home. Anyhow, thanks for your reply and concerns, I am hoping that someone out there is close by and has some insight or suggestions . [emoji1]
So the major issue is an over heating engine. Why? We can only guess. If your husband can't fix it at the dock, taking it offshore is a bad idea.

Yes, it will cost some money but if he can't fix it, it's time to hire a professional.

Its a tough situation but just heading out to open water and hoping to fix it while at sea is a bad idea.

It's been a few years but when we passed thru, the wall along the river was pretty reasonably priced.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 23:48   #172

carebear, could you ask your husband what engine it is? And tell us what it is? Many of us may have exactly the same engine and could provide help if we knew.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 23:55   #173

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
carebear, could you ask your husband what engine it is? And tell us what it is? Many of us may have exactly the same engine and could provide help if we knew.

Good luck.
It might be a good idea if your husband tells us what problems he encounter and if we can support him with help. Maybe in a direct dialog with him if he want.

There is a lot of knowledge here available, use it.
Tricolor is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2017, 05:10   #174

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
carebear,

Hi, Carrie, this has been a difficult initiation to CF. Sorry, some of the folks feel free to be pretty rude, and others, like me, pretty blunt.

If I understand the problem correctly, the primary problems at this point are the lack of maneuverability and the engine, which had run fine in its original slip, but which overheated when you tried to move the boat.

Those symptoms can happen from marine fouling, and if fouling is the cause, the boat will be extremely sluggish under sail, and difficult to steer. Having the bottom and the prop cleaned by a diver will cure that, if it is the only problem.

However, as mentioned above, with boats that have sat for a long time, there are other issues that commonly crop up. One is that the fresh drinking water in the tanks may be contaminated. One way to deal with that is to put it on "hold," and bring with you all your drinking, cooking and washing water for the return trip. Clean the tanks and the plumbing lines at your leisure in Jacksonville. However, the fuel in your fuel tank(s) may have biological growth in it, may have water in it, from condensation, that is why Scout 30 mentioned bringing along a lot of spare fuel filters. When the filter gets clogged, the engine will stop running due to fuel starvation. Then you change the filter, bleed the air out of the system, and off you go again. If you do not have a manual for the engine that shows how to bleed it, you can probably get one online.

It must be really frustrating having to commute to deal with the boat, but, really, it has to be made safe to go home before you take it there. It will probably be costly, too, I am sorry to bear sad tidings, it's nobody's fault, but it is how it is with boats. You and your good man will be having lots of learning experiences getting the boat home. You guys are on the steep part of the learning curve, and it is stressful, but you will be getting experience that will stand you in good stead.

I think it is a bad idea to just head out without addressing the list first. There are too many things that could go wrong that would be scary or dangerous.

Print out Scout 30's list: it is a good one for what to expect.

Try to be of good cheer, it's a New Year, you've a new toy, good luck with it all, planning is good, but good luck is a real boon.

Ann
Hi Anne and thanks bunches for your wisdom and kind thoughts. We did turn her around$ 485.00 tow[emoji19] but she's back in dock. My Husband knows the problem we just don't have time to stay and fix it so we have to try again next weekend. Anyhow Happy New Year. Thanks again.
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2017, 05:37   #175

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

So far it has been a very nice winter, even in Jax so at least you have that going for you. Actually it is probably too hot in Ft. Lauderdale trying to work on a boat engine. Hang in there.

Great that your husband knows the problem. And now has a week to think about the fix. Sometimes that time off the boat does help. Plus he can get parts and tools he needs in Jax.

Again, if you guys decide to stop at Bings Landing let me know. Lunch is on me. I would like to hear about your adventure.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33   #176

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Carebear. You need a new raw water impeller. Your welcome.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24   #177

If the engine is overheating then if water is coming out of the exhaust, it's probably growth on the prop. If water isn't coming at all, or not much, then something is blocking it.
I had a block once that was carbon build up that was easily chipped out with a screwdriver. the water inlet could be closed or blocked. The impeller has been mentioned and so on.

The good news is that the husband is a diver, so they don't need to hire one to look under the boat. I would be nervous diving in a marina because of electrical currents from badly grounded boats connected to shore power.

The suggestion I would make if the motor issue isn't easily solved is to get the boat hauled out because being in hard storage or in a boatyard has to be less expensive than in water. Plus if worse came to worse, you could get it home on a truck. It might end up costing less than driving down and trying to work on it to sail it home.
Old 03-01-2017, 14:21   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkeno View Post
If the engine is overheating then if water is coming out of the exhaust, it's probably growth on the prop. If water isn't coming at all, or not much, then something is blocking it.
I had a block once that was carbon build up that was easily chipped out with a screwdriver. the water inlet could be closed or blocked. The impeller has been mentioned and so on.

The good news is that the husband is a diver, so they don't need to hire one to look under the boat. I would be nervous diving in a marina because of electrical currents from badly grounded boats connected to shore power.

The suggestion I would make if the motor issue isn't easily solved is to get the boat hauled out because being in hard storage or in a boatyard has to be less expensive than in water. Plus if worse came to worse, you could get it home on a truck. It might end up costing less than driving down and trying to work on it to sail it home.
Thanks Valkeno. Yes we have discussed that. He also found that the centerboard is stuck so even if we didn't have engine problems, we would not have been able to sail. Thanks again for the info. [emoji1]
Old 03-01-2017, 14:24   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
So far it has been a very nice winter, even in Jax so at least you have that going for you. Actually it is probably too hot in Ft. Lauderdale trying to work on a boat engine. Hang in there.

Great that your husband knows the problem. And now has a week to think about the fix. Sometimes that time off the boat does help. Plus he can get parts and tools he needs in Jax.

Again, if you guys decide to stop at Bings Landing let me know. Lunch is on me. I would like to hear about your adventure.

Good luck
Yep it has and that is a gracious offer. And we will if we go that route. Thanks tuffr2
Old 03-01-2017, 15:16   #180

Boat: Seaward 22

You can still sail with the centerboard up. You may not point as high to windward, but you can still sail.

Good luck.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa