Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 09:21   #46

Re: More Medical Problems. Should I Sell? What’s your opinion?

Not here to offer any medical advice. I say you only live once and you will not get a second chance
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:33   #47

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Chotu; sorry to hear of your health problems, but wish you a speedy recovery. All sound advice previously that being focus on getting healthy, do cardiac rehab, work with your cardiologist and his/her team to ensure you maximize your recovery....only then would I begin to consider making any decisions about your boat. Take care and if you're nice I will entertain you with some of my do-it-yourself misadventures. dave PS...most recent is purchase of a $3800 paper weight! aka feathering prop...enof said for now
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:57   #48

Perhaps you would find it worthwhile to read the books written by Drs. Davis and Gundry, the one former cardiologist and the other a very prominent cardiac surgeon.

The good news is that there is a great deal you can do to improve your own health, easily, cheaply and with little risk. However, self-education is necessary and at a certain point one must confront the reality met by the Drs. mentioned above, and thousands of others, that our medical system often prefers complex and expensive solutions to symptoms, rather than simple, cheap solutions to the actual root causes. Not only that, but as with the to and fro over matters such as cholesterol and saturated fats (thank you American Soy Bean Association), the verdict is emphatically not in on many important questions. Best of luck to you.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:10   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1) I’ve sustained massive health problems from boat building. Now I see why most people die before they complete their boat build. ALL my health problems are from boat building. I had none before boat building and all are attributable to the chemical exposures that come along with building a boat.

2) How many more years of my life am I willing to sacrifice to a boat? For what? So I can enjoy the perfect sail and living space? I’m interested in international travel, exercise, seeing things in the world.

I was also thinking how advising me to put more years into boat building is a lot like advising someone to put more years into sitting at a desk so they can buy a nicer boat. It’s exactly the same philosophy as “go later” “work now”. This isn’t directly related to your post, but rather a thought I had before you posted.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good advice from many. Especially Gadagirl.

To summarize your post:

I started to build this boat to avoid problems I found that affected my health on every existing boat.

I found that building this boat created or uncovered even more monumental health issues.

It would seem that once you recover you need to determine what changes your priorities may require.

I join all in wishing you the best the future can offer.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:20   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

I got a stent over 8 years ago and was back to work 3 days later. The only long term effect is mental as I am always aware there is a foreign object in my heart.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:27   #51

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
For the record, I hate building boats, but I love good sailing boats. I had built this boat because I couldn’t buy one of this quality/design due to them costing like $1mil

I’m looking to just live. I’ve had life (traveling is life) on hold for such a very long time to complete this boat and be able to travel globally with it.

Somehow, “just go now” is screaming at me.
Chotu, (please excuse my language but) this sucks! you've worked so hard for this, Chotu. just the window saga was enough to make anyone's body scream

i'm so sorry to hear, and i really do not know your real situation (how much work to do on the boat; how bad your condition is presenting itself),...

however, reading your words here..., my humble guess is that your body is screaming at you to stop the works on the boat and get out there.

maybe get out there and go super easy, super carefully, super slowly?

and, if it feels good and peaceful, then drink in all the wonderful reasons you have to be out there and let your body heal and let Nature heal you...?

could this be what your body is trying to tell you?

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:40   #52

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

just noted that your boat requires 2 more years of work to be completed.

oh dear, i see your bind, because you need this boat (for your sensitivity to mould)

if you can muster the money, perhaps get a team of professionals/friends/volunteers onto the boat and supervise

during this time, you can focus on getting healthy with very good reason to get healthy

am really hoping that you can pull it off!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:10   #53

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Chotu, I know of one of San Franciso bay's premier sailors, now 89 who had a heart attack many years ago. He is still sailing! And after his heart attack continued to race and sail all over the world. This is not to say you should follow a same path but rather to consider that it might be possible. After your recovery your doctors will let you know what is possible. Just do not consider the worst options at this early point in time. Take good care during your recovery and you may be surprised at how well you do. Another recent heart patient was Mick Jagger who was back at it not too long after. Everyone is different. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 13:15   #54

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Chotu.

Hang in there.
To me it sounds this boat and the chance to cruise it makes your world go round.

What do you do when the boat is sold?
You will keep thinking about it.

Continue in a reasonable cautious way and get help where you need it.
But, try to be a little less perfectionist in your boat building approach and go cruising earlier.

Good luck & get better soon!
Hi...
These days it saddens me to see young healthy people more afraid to die than to live, and others who are older have no fear and continue to enjoy living life. Be cautious.....but keep living your life because the Heavens will take you on its watch not yours.
I am a 62yo physician and I have seeing this story many times and play out in many different ways including in my own life. Do not stop living. Maybe that trip around the world may have to wait till you come back same soul newer shell in a different lifetime...but keep working on your boat and enjoy your boat when it is done as long as you physically can.
I know its sounds like a cliché....regrets for the things I could have done, not the ones I failed in doing so (variation of Mark Twain).

Best

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 13:28   #55

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
I wish you the very best. As someone who knows almost nothing about you, here is the thought that surfaced. Please accept it for what it's worth, I mean no disrespect.

Ask yourself this: If I have only one week to live, how will I chose to spend this time? You should do that.

I suspect that very few of us in the last hours will think it timely. Don't wait.
I like this post. Thank you.

It is speaking to what I’m feeling.

I’m just trading away year after year after year of my life so I can have the perfect boat.

I can sure as hell say if I have a week to live, I’m not spending it working on damn boats. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 14:01   #56

Do you use a respirator when you work? Recommend a half face with VOC filters and N95 or better prefilters.

You’ll get back. Walking does wonders.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 14:18   #57
cruiser

My advice is to quit while you're ahead.
LoftyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 14:31   #58

Quote:
Well, my misfortunes seem to be always multiplying no matter how hard I fight them.

I was exposed to yet ANOTHER chemical. The SDS/MSDS said it was not harmful. Well, I beg to differ.

It burned my already sensitive lungs (sensitive due to epoxy exposures). The stress of the situation on my system tore a little bit of my extremely mild plaque buildup off my coronary artery, my body sent clotting in to “fix” it and that gave me a “widow maker” style heart attack. I could have easily died last week if they didn’t immediately do the angioplasty and stent.

So now I’m faced with a big decision.

Should I sell this perfect boat I’ve been building all this time and stop sailing?

Are many of you sailing post heart attack?

I don’t know how I could ever give this boat up. But what should I do?
Sorry to hear about your health woes. Hope things can improve for you!

I'm curious to know what chemical was described as not harmful on a MSDS?

AFAIK, EVERYTHING is harmful. I remember reading an MSDS on hand cleaner that said "avoid contact with skin.".

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 14:37   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Hi...
These days it saddens me to see young healthy people more afraid to die than to live, and others who are older have no fear and continue to enjoy living life. Be cautious.....but keep living your life because the Heavens will take you on its watch not yours.
I am a 62yo physician and I have seeing this story many times and play out in many different ways including in my own life. Do not stop living. Maybe that trip around the world may have to wait till you come back same soul newer shell in a different lifetime...but keep working on your boat and enjoy your boat when it is done as long as you physically can.
I know its sounds like a cliché....regrets for the things I could have done, not the ones I failed in doing so (variation of Mark Twain).

Best

Abe
That’s what the whole thread is about. Living my life.

I’m tired of putting it on hold and the heart attack has made it basically unbearable to put it on hold any longer.
Old 05-05-2021, 14:39   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Sorry to hear about your health woes. Hope things can improve for you!

I'm curious to know what chemical was described as not harmful on a MSDS?

AFAIK, EVERYTHING is harmful. I remember reading an MSDS on hand cleaner that said "avoid contact with skin.".
Owens Corning Foamular 250 pink insulation. I was using it to make a little cabinet thing.

I was routing it to shape it nicely.

I was wearing a 3M p100 charcoal face mask while machining it.

It produces a gas that smells like ozone and seers your lungs when you are routing it. This gas gets right though the mask I had on which was primarily for dust since the SDS basically says this foam is safe.

Tags
medical, cal