Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 08:27   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
More Medical Problems. Should I Sell? What’s your opinion?

Well, my misfortunes seem to be always multiplying no matter how hard I fight them.

I was exposed to yet ANOTHER chemical. The SDS/MSDS said it was not harmful. Well, I beg to differ.

It burned my already sensitive lungs (sensitive due to epoxy exposures). The stress of the situation on my system tore a little bit of my extremely mild plaque buildup off my coronary artery, my body sent clotting in to “fix” it and that gave me a “widow maker” style heart attack. I could have easily died last week if they didn’t immediately do the angioplasty and stent.

So now I’m faced with a big decision.

Should I sell this perfect boat I’ve been building all this time and stop sailing?

Are many of you sailing post heart attack?

I don’t know how I could ever give this boat up. But what should I do?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:34   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: More Medical Problems. Should I Sell? What’s your opinion?

Chotu, so sorry to hear of your latest health challenge, although I’m glad you made it through. I don’t have any advice to offer, just empathy. I know you have put a great deal of yourself into building this boat and solving the many puzzles of materials, design, logistics etc. I have confidence that you will approach this question with your usual diligence and determination and find the answer that is right for you.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:35   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'd think it comes down to a few questions:

What situations are going to put you at risk of a sudden, significant medical problem?

Can you reasonably finish the current build and start to use the boat without encountering those situations?

Can anything be done to mitigate the risks medically?

Once finished, is the boat practical to use for types of cruising where you can avoid situations likely to be an issue and where you wouldn't be too far from medical care if needed?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:49   #4

It does sound a bit iffy to continue. But how much is left to do?
How important are what's left on the list really?
It seems for all my boats, which I usually rebuild extensively, eventually I just say "stop!", even though I have a spiral pad list of things to do. Once moving and cruising I forget most of them.... enough is enough.
Or maybe you are one of those that enjoys the work rather than the sailing...?

Also, if you have had a blockage, you may feel BETTER now!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:53   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I can’t speak specifically to your situation but will offer the following:

Don’t make a rushed decision. Things often become clearer with time.

I sold my cruising boat a couple years ago in large part due to some physical issues I knew would be ongoing. Sure I miss cruising, but there are many other ways to have adventures and explore, many of which are much cheaper than cruising.

I wish you the best recovery possible.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It does sound a bit iffy to continue. But how much is left to do?
How important are what's left on the list really?
It seems for all my boats, which I usually rebuild extensively, eventually I just say "stop!", even though I have a spiral pad list of things to do. Once moving and cruising I forget most of them.... enough is enough.
Or maybe you are one of those that enjoys the work rather than the sailing...?
For the record, I hate building boats, but I love good sailing boats. I had built this boat because I couldn’t buy one of this quality/design due to them costing like $1mil

I’m looking to just live. I’ve had life (traveling is life) on hold for such a very long time to complete this boat and be able to travel globally with it.

Somehow, “just go now” is screaming at me.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:09   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Do you have a good cardiologist that is managing your care long term, not necessarily the angioplasty hotshot? If you can get him/her to understand the cruising lifestyle and give you realistic care plan for the future. There are modern blood thinners that do not require continual blood testing - assuming they put you on a thinner. If you are working with a good cardiologist they will focus on quality of life and that includes doing the activities you want to do,
Old 04-05-2021, 09:11   #8

Boat: Boatless

I was about to sail from the Panama Canal to New Zealand when I had to have a stent in the LAD, the infamous widow maker coronary artery, but fortunately before I infarcted! I waited 12 months to ensure that all had worked well, I had a stress test that was good and then my wife and I sailed Panama to New Zealand. Now 6 years later I ride my bike 150 miles per week and on my 71st birthday, I pedaled Key Largo to Key West, 100 miles in 9 hours including a lunch stop.

Take it easy for a year and then go back to what you love!

Phil with a MD degree.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:11   #9

And... people face some challenges building boats. I feel mine may be a bit crazier than most and this last bit of challenge added has practically broken me, to be honest.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
For the record, I hate building boats, but I love good sailing boats. I had built this boat because I couldn’t buy one of this quality/design due to them costing like $1mil

I’m looking to just live. I’ve had life (traveling is life) on hold for such a very long time to complete this boat and be able to travel globally with it.

Somehow, “just go now” is screaming at me.

Also, if you have had a blockage, you may feel BETTER now than you have! Often it's a gradual buildup I understand. Although not always. No way to know.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I was about to sail from the Panama Canal to New Zealand when I had to have a stent in the LAD, the infamous widow maker coronary artery, but fortunately before I infarcted! I waited 12 months to ensure that all had worked well, I had a stress test that was good and then my wife and I sailed Panama to New Zealand. Now 6 years later I ride my bike 150 miles per week and on my 71st birthday, I pedaled Key Largo to Key West, 100 miles in 9 hours including a lunch stop.

Take it easy for a year and then go back to what you love!

Phil with a MD degree.

Thanks for the encouraging post!

I’m hoping this is how it’ll go. Unfortunately, I understand all of this terminology now. LAD stent and infarction is where I was at. I have a 40% Ejection Fraction. Right now. Still on mandated bedrest. I can take walks starting next week. Hoping I can get the damaged part of the heart to come back to life.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Chotu, so sorry to hear of your latest health challenge, although I’m glad you made it through. I don’t have any advice to offer, just empathy. I know you have put a great deal of yourself into building this boat and solving the many puzzles of materials, design, logistics etc. I have confidence that you will approach this question with your usual diligence and determination and find the answer that is right for you.
Thanks for this kind response. It’s really encouraging.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd think it comes down to a few questions:

What situations are going to put you at risk of a sudden, significant medical problem?

Can you reasonably finish the current build and start to use the boat without encountering those situations?

Can anything be done to mitigate the risks medically?

Once finished, is the boat practical to use for types of cruising where you can avoid situations likely to be an issue and where you wouldn't be too far from medical care if needed?
As always, very good questions. It took me an hour to get to the cardiacs center in an ambulance.

Looking at the heliport from my hospital room, I can’t help but to wonder if it might have been faster from the middle of the Gulf of Mexico with an airlift. Probably not, but still.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I can’t speak specifically to your situation but will offer the following:

Don’t make a rushed decision. Things often become clearer with time.

I sold my cruising boat a couple years ago in large part due to some physical issues I knew would be ongoing. Sure I miss cruising, but there are many other ways to have adventures and explore, many of which are much cheaper than cruising.

I wish you the best recovery possible.
Thank you. I’ll remember to take it slowly.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Do you have a good cardiologist that is managing your care long term, not necessarily the angioplasty hotshot? If you can get him/her to understand the cruising lifestyle and give you realistic care plan for the future. There are modern blood thinners that do not require continual blood testing - assuming they put you on a thinner. If you are working with a good cardiologist they will focus on quality of life and that includes doing the activities you want to do,

Yes, actually I’m on 3 of those blood thinners right now (including low dose aspirin). None of 2 newer blood thinners require testing. I’m on these during the recovery period.

They seem to think I’ll only be on the low dose aspirin long term.

I’ll try to find someone to go to for the long term cardiology.

Tags
medical, cal