Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 14:33   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Mobile TIG 316 welder?

Does anyone here know how to use a TIG welder?

Or does anyone hear know of a welder that will drive to the West Coast of Florida? Around the Fort Myers and Naples area?

I have been trying to get someone to do welding since February.

I’m on my fifth fabrication company now and they are still doing nothing. Even though they said they would get right to work.

I cannot get my rig up without some welding being done.

I will pay anything. Thank you.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 15:01   #2

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)
Re: Mobile TIG 316 welder?

I had a somewhat similar problem on this side of the pond. I bought myself a TIG pulse DC welding machine and all the gear around it like a Argon gas cylinder. Still the whole set is cheaper than some of the quotes I got, all which required to bring the parts to be welded into a shop - not possible in my case.

I'm learning now how to TIG weld, there are plenty Youtube video's around. Using scrap metal of course, I've only one chance to do the welding right on my boat. That is the tricky part...
Old 10-07-2022, 15:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
I had a somewhat similar problem on this side of the pond. I bought myself a TIG pulse DC welding machine and all the gear around it like a Argon gas cylinder. Still the whole set is cheaper than some of the quotes I got, all which required to bring the parts to be welded into a shop - not possible in my case.

I'm learning now how to TIG weld, there are plenty Youtube video's around. Using scrap metal of course, I've only one chance to do the welding right on my boat. That is the tricky part...
I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that, but I think this might be the best way to go.

I could have become a professional welder and taken many classes by now.

It’s unbelievable that it’s not possible to get metal work done anymore.

I only wish people would have told me no instead of leading me on. I have been waiting all these months. For nothing.
Old 10-07-2022, 17:31   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Chotu, sorry you are having issues getting people in. I hope it works out soon.

-Does the work require going up the mast?
-Do you have 110 or 220v power on site?

If it were me, I'd call the local welding supply stores (Airgas, etc.) and see if there are any other candidates on their short list of who might be game. Next I would try the welding teachers at any local vo-tech schools that have a welding program.
Old 10-07-2022, 17:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Chotu, sorry you are having issues getting people in. I hope it works out soon.

-Does the work require going up the mast?
-Do you have 110 or 220v power on site?

If it were me, I'd call the local welding supply stores (Airgas, etc.) and see if there are any other candidates on their short list of who might be game. Next I would try the welding teachers at any local vo-tech schools that have a welding program.
Going up the mast? I wish!!

the Cross Beam and the Mast are both laying on the ground because there's nobody that can weld anything to get them up.

I guess I can start over again trying to get more people. but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm working on this since February now. and five different welders and machinists. none of them. none will work. I don't know that getting a new one is going to help. they're just going to tell me that they can work on it, tell me next week, tell me next week, tell me next week, and then the whole summer will be over.

I have some power on site through generators. So there’s that. But I don’t really know how much power it’s going to require.
Old 10-07-2022, 17:52   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you're welding stainless a good welder with a MIG and appropriate wire should also be acceptable. Might be slightly less pretty than TIG, but still structurally good if it's done right.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 19:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

IMO tig is the easiest welding to learn. Making a neat weld takes practice.

Most welding schools will teach just tig, etc.
Welding 316 is no different than any other stainless for an amateur.
Some welding suppliers rent various welding equipment. Also Rental businesses.
If you're going to buy a tig welder, make sure the duty cycle is enough. With the cheap models, you can burn them out on a hot day going over the duty cycle trying to finish a weld without a break. Others will shut down right in the middle of welding.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 20:13   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For much s/s welding can you not do a satisfactory job with a simple stick welder? Various bits on our boat are thusly constructed.

Jim
Old 10-07-2022, 21:32   #9

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

TIG welding takes a LOT of time to learn. There is an industry test for full strength welds. It’s difficult to pass. It’s laughable to think it’s not a skill that takes years to learn. Years. Ten years and I’m still learning.
Go to Welding Tips and Tricks or the Miller web pages. You will see skilled welders in aluminum and stainless. The correct equipment is expensive. Period.
After a few years welding, you might begin to understand what to do but you will still have to acquire the hand and eye skills to do it.
The idea you can become a TIG welder in a short time ...absolutely wrong.
One good piece of advice has already been posted...go to a welding supply store and ask. Go buy a welder ? My crew is rolling on the deck in stitches.
Never seen such absurd posts and just plain bad advice.
Captain Mark.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 22:08   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I’ve welded for years like for work and I’m still learning new stuff

Yes you can learn to slap stuff together quickly but that’s not the same.
Old 11-07-2022, 00:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I’ve welded for years like for work and I’m still learning new stuff

Yes you can learn to slap stuff together quickly but that’s not the same.
Want to fly to Florida for a project?
Old 11-07-2022, 00:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For much s/s welding can you not do a satisfactory job with a simple stick welder? Various bits on our boat are thusly constructed.

Jim
I don't know what I don't know.

Can I stick weld 316 stainless and T6061-T6 aluminum? Is that adequate?
Old 11-07-2022, 00:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
TIG welding takes a LOT of time to learn. There is an industry test for full strength welds. It’s difficult to pass. It’s laughable to think it’s not a skill that takes years to learn. Years. Ten years and I’m still learning.
Go to Welding Tips and Tricks or the Miller web pages. You will see skilled welders in aluminum and stainless. The correct equipment is expensive. Period.
After a few years welding, you might begin to understand what to do but you will still have to acquire the hand and eye skills to do it.
The idea you can become a TIG welder in a short time ...absolutely wrong.
One good piece of advice has already been posted...go to a welding supply store and ask. Go buy a welder ? My crew is rolling on the deck in stitches.
Never seen such absurd posts and just plain bad advice.
Captain Mark.

But, see what happens is I DO find welders and fabricators. About a dozen since February. Most flat out said no. The ones that said yes (5 of them) have lead me on since February with promises of getting the work done but not even doing the first step to get started.

I can find tons of fabricators and welders. They just don’t work. They don’t want to do anything.

Do you know how to do it? It sounds like you do. Any interest? Because I can’t use this boat until I find someone that can do a couple of simple bits of welding for the rig.

Honestly, due to stuff like this, I’m thinking of just giving up on boats at this point. I'm getting zero enjoyment out of it and it is stressful and a waste of time.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:33   #14

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel

While welding isn’t rocket science, I wouldn’t recommend that someone new try to learn and then DIY a structural element of a sailboat. And forget stick welding aluminum or stainless. While it *can* be done, it shouldn’t.

Not to offer too much of a shot in the dark, but I’ll be welding some repairs on my steel centerboarder in Placida Florida around September. I TIG mild and stainless and will be running a suitcase TIG (small mobile rig that takes dual power supplies) good for up to 1/4” full thickness a single pass. If you can get about 10kW of power on-site, that will happily the system. Unless you need to rebuild a thick walled sanitary pressure vessel, this is all you’ll need.

I’m on a tight timeline while down there but maybe we could work something out.
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:27   #15

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We just don’t work on other boats. I’m very sorry. Keep talking to suppliers of welding gas, argon, and someone will be willing to work.
Mark.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob