Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 17:20   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Mobile TIG 316 welder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Chotu, is it absolutely necessary that these pieces are welded? Many things that are welded can, and have, been bolted/riveted/screwed/glued together. Mast extensions are regularly done with fasteners only. If it's truly just welding that is holding you up, is there another way to do it?

The mast extension definitely has to be welded because another section like the one I have does not exist. The plan at the metal shop is to create another piece that will be spliced. But they have to weld that piece up from quarters.

The parts that connect the Cross beam to the bows are custom and 316 stainless.

It’s hard to see a way to do them without welding. And there’s a lot of machining involved as well.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 17:29   #32

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2

While there's absolutely a world of difference between a proper welder and an amateur one, I wouldn't dismiss the amateur weld. For a ton of cases, a DIYer can get a good enough weld in place for mild steel or stainless. Aluminum is much harder though. Just give yourself plenty of safety margin and don't try to build the most lightweight, high stress assembly out there. Realistically even a crappy weld will hold together enough for a non critical application. The problem however is that your weld will need to be treated or it will rust, 316 or not.
aybabtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 18:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aybabtme View Post
While there's absolutely a world of difference between a proper welder and an amateur one, I wouldn't dismiss the amateur weld. For a ton of cases, a DIYer can get a good enough weld in place for mild steel or stainless. Aluminum is much harder though. Just give yourself plenty of safety margin and don't try to build the most lightweight, high stress assembly out there. Realistically even a crappy weld will hold together enough for a non critical application. The problem however is that your weld will need to be treated or it will rust, 316 or not.
Haven’t I seen welded pieces of 316 before? They didn’t seem to rust. How did they do that?
Old 11-07-2022, 18:42   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Haven’t I seen welded pieces of 316 before? They didn’t seem to rust. How did they do that?
The stainless needs to be appropriately cleaned and passivated after welding. Then it won't rust.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 19:09   #35

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The stainless needs to be appropriately cleaned and passivated after welding. Then it won't rust.
Correct.
aybabtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 20:42   #36

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Mobile TIG 316 welder?

Degrease then acid bath

Same with aluminum or brass called anodizing
Old 15-07-2022, 07:35   #37

Boat: 1958 Broward 80'

Can you post pictures of the project? I have a welder friend that just might be crazy enough to travel to do the work. We love adventures!
Broward1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 08:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broward1958 View Post
Can you post pictures of the project? I have a welder friend that just might be crazy enough to travel to do the work. We love adventures!
I can’t post any pictures of the project because it doesn’t exist yet.

I can’t post the plans because that’s bad for the designers intellectual property rights. That wouldn’t be right to do to him.

It’s a Mast extension, some odds and ends probably with the mast itself and attachment points, as well as some fittings that connect the bow tube/beam to the hulls.
Old 15-07-2022, 09:05   #39

Boat: Cal II-25

TIG is an art.
MIG is a skill.
The difference is that the latter might be picked up quickly by a practiced handyman. The former may take years for some.
Far easier to do a functional joint that may not be pretty with MIG.
TIG, on the other hand, may or may not be pretty and still not be functional. If you need both, prepare to wait, and pay.
You can practice on regular steel to get up to speed before moving to aluminum. Welding Tips and Tricks site has good info.
rickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 10:02   #40

Here's a few I found. No connection to any of them, I live in Idaho

Certified Mobile Welding Inc. | Welders | Fort Myers, FL

https://www.welderfortmyersfl.com/contact

https://www.affordableweldingllc.com/

Good luck with your ventures...
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 13:57   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Can an amateur get acceptable results stick welding if he starts off knowing nothing?

The answer is yes, despite all the naysayers.

As usual I knew nothing and didn't even know what I didn't know when I commenced my stainless steel projects for my boat. My friend had a welder and knew how to turn it on. We went to a scrap metal yard and bought a bunch of stainless pieces (I didn't even know there was a difference between 304 and 316 or any other type). We got some rods and a bunch of cut off blades for his table saw and my grinder.

In his basement we sawed parts on the table saw, welded them together, and cleaned them up with a variety of discs on the right angle grinder.

I made a Sampson post, anchor roller (massive), brackets for my outboard motor stand, hooks for the line locker to hold coils of line, and several other parts. None were structural but the Sampson post and anchor roller were important for the boat and had to be strong, they were.

These pieces were made 25 years ago and have held up perfectly (they have less rust than the commercial stanchions and bases we have), so it can be done.

You will always have a lot of people who say you can't do it. They just don't want you to succeed.

However, I would want a professional for Aluminum or structural bits.
Old 15-07-2022, 14:31   #42

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
I had a somewhat similar problem on this side of the pond. I bought myself a TIG pulse DC welding machine and all the gear around it like a Argon gas cylinder. Still the whole set is cheaper than some of the quotes I got, all which required to bring the parts to be welded into a shop - not possible in my case.

I'm learning now how to TIG weld, there are plenty Youtube video's around. Using scrap metal of course, I've only one chance to do the welding right on my boat. That is the tricky part...
YouTube?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 14:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you're welding stainless a good welder with a MIG and appropriate wire should also be acceptable. Might be slightly less pretty than TIG, but still structurally good if it's done right.
Not so easy...
Old 15-07-2022, 14:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don't know what I don't know.

Can I stick weld 316 stainless and T6061-T6 aluminum? Is that adequate?
No you can not stick weld alu..
HF TIG or MIG
Old 15-07-2022, 17:18   #45

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Buy some stainless steel electrodes and hire a small AC welder.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob