Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 03:45   #1

Marina's on Florida south East coast

I know this should be an easy search but nothing related comes up. We take possession of our catamaran March 1 2019 in Lauderdale. We need a place to keep it, stay on it when we are there, have some work done to it and be able to play with it.

Need a place that is good for kids (12 and 14) safe, not boring, not industrial looking and clean. A place that feels comfortable.

Not wanting cheap but reasonable...e.g. got $6500 monthly quote doe Pier 66. That does not seem reasonable. I've heard it should be around $1500 or so whick seems reasonable. No real concern for where other than we need access to people who can do work. We will be bringing our car so we are mobile.

Leopard 58 with 29ft beam and 6ft draft.

I appreciate any suggestions. BTW stop by and see us in Miami. Our 58 will be in the show. Thanks
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:56   #2

Re: Marina's on Florida south East coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
I know this should be an easy search but nothing related comes up. We take possession of our catamaran March 1 2019 in Lauderdale. We need a place to keep it, stay on it when we are there, have some work done to it and be able to play with it.

Need a place that is good for kids (12 and 14) safe, not boring, not industrial looking and clean. A place that feels comfortable.

Not wanting cheap but reasonable...e.g. got $6500 monthly quote doe Pier 66. That does not seem reasonable. I've heard it should be around $1500 or so whick seems reasonable. No real concern for where other than we need access to people who can do work. We will be bringing our car so we are mobile.

I appreciate any suggestions. BTW stop by and see us in Miami. Our 58 will be in the show. Thanks
Oh...since I'll have my family with me I prefer not to be surround by junk boats or boats that are neglected. Want a little class. Sorry.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Have you looked at the online listings like Docksearch.com?
Old 06-02-2019, 05:02   #4

What’s your air draft? If you can’t get under the 65’ fixed bridges, that will be another limiting factor.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
What’s your air draft? If you can’t get under the 65’ fixed bridges, that will be another limiting factor.
90 ft
Old 06-02-2019, 05:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Have you looked at the online listings like Docksearch.com?
Tells me where everything is but nothing about culture or fit. Trying to get user experience to narrow list down to 3 or so to contact. Hoping this group has insight.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:34   #7

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

We're in Riviera Beach City Marina - nice place & clean facility, though you'll pay probably closer to $2K a month. No bridges and close to the Lake Worth entrance though there is some current in the marina - plan on docking at slack.
The "Port of West Palm Beach" is South on the other side of the cruise ship dock, but the area around the marina is not industrial or slum at all (there are a couple yacht yards). Nice restaurant on site, too.

The further North you go, the cheaper it gets, but Florida in the winter is not inexpensive.
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
We're in Riviera Beach City Marina - nice place & clean facility, though you'll pay probably closer to $2K a month. No bridges and close to the Lake Worth entrance though there is some current in the marina - plan on docking at slack.
The "Port of West Palm Beach" is South on the other side of the cruise ship dock, but the area around the marina is not industrial or slum at all (there are a couple yacht yards). Nice restaurant on site, too.

The further North you go, the cheaper it gets, but Florida in the winter is not inexpensive.

I was just about to recommend Riviera Beach as well. GMTA

https://marinavillagepalmbeach.com/r...ch-marina.html
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:56   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You my friend are probably going to need to do some major searching. Do a Google search for “Florida marinas”. There is lot of marina websites like “Cruising Guide. Com, “Marinas.com”, etc. You have bougt a very big boat with very big dockage requirements. Plus you state other requirements, though not unreasonable by any means. Then there is the “ reasonable cost” requirement. You may need to make some concessions. Let your fingers do the walking, one thing for sure, no marina is going to worry about you being riff- raff.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:13   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post

Congrats on the new boat, that's quite a vessel that you're getting! Your length and beam are going to be more of a limiting factor than your air draft, as most of the bridges in the Fort Lauderdale area are not fixed. You might try Harbour Towne Marine or Royal Palm Marina, both on the Dania Cutoff Canal just south of the airport. You could also try Lauderdale Marine Center up the south fork of the New River - no fixed bridges to get there, and they have some pretty big boats. Also try Las Olas Marine on the ICW.

If you don't mind anchoring out, and you can find a spot, Lake Sylvia is free. There are also city-operated mooring balls across the ICW from Las Olas Marina, but again you won't be on a dock. All depends on your needs.

I live in the area, so if you need any help or advice just holler. All I charge is a cold beer ;-). I'll drop you a PM with my contact info. I'm between boats right now as my previous boat was destroyed in a collision - we can chat about that over beer...

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:20   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's really tough this time of year, especially for a live aboard, and of course you are coming in on the backside of the Miami boat show which scoops up most available dockage. I agree with those above. A short sail north of Palm Beach is probably a better bet.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:35   #12

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Do you really need a dock ? What about a mooring ball, and a marina with a launch boat on call ?
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:41   #13

Congratulations on the new boat.

I am at Harbourtown in Dania Beach, just outside of Lauderdale. I have a Lagoon 42, so am "sensitive" to the Cat bias everywhere.

I can't say enough nice things about this place.

They are a few miles from the inlet so no bridge issues, they are super on-point if you need any help, they have a bunch of privately owned boat services on site, they will take and hold your mail, there are a lot of REALLY NICE boats here, they have security that stop you at night (good if you have a boat here, not good if you're up to no good) and run a pretty clean orderly facility.
Downsides are not much by way of non-boat amenities (ie pool, "club", restaurant, bar) but there are plenty of places nearby for that.
Price is per foot with sliding scale for high season (now) vs. off season summer. I think I'm paying about 3K with my length per month now, and when I kept it there the first summer it went down to about 1.5K per month, but don't quote me exactly.

Don't even bother with the City run places down in Miami. Waitlist for Dinner Key is years. I put mine in last year and haven't even gotten a "received" response.

Hope that helps a bit.
Bruno187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 19:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post

Perfect. Thank you. I'll call tomorrow. Sticker shock on area so far. Everything has been $6000 or more per month. Not what I expected.
Old 06-02-2019, 20:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Congrats on the new boat, that's quite a vessel that you're getting! Your length and beam are going to be more of a limiting factor than your air draft, as most of the bridges in the Fort Lauderdale area are not fixed. You might try Harbour Towne Marine or Royal Palm Marina, both on the Dania Cutoff Canal just south of the airport. You could also try Lauderdale Marine Center up the south fork of the New River - no fixed bridges to get there, and they have some pretty big boats. Also try Las Olas Marine on the ICW.

If you don't mind anchoring out, and you can find a spot, Lake Sylvia is free. There are also city-operated mooring balls across the ICW from Las Olas Marina, but again you won't be on a dock. All depends on your needs.

I live in the area, so if you need any help or advice just holler. All I charge is a cold beer ;-). I'll drop you a PM with my contact info. I'm between boats right now as my previous boat was destroyed in a collision - we can chat about that over beer...

Regards,
David
Thanks David. Making a few calls to the locations identified. There next week for the show. Our boat is being shown. Good time

Tags
east coast, florida, marinas