Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 09:43   #1

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Cruising East Coast U.S. North to South or South to North?

I want to plan an expedition to sail the entire length of the East Coast. Irregardless of the fact that I'm presently in Florida, the questions I have are;if the whole trip will be port to port coastwise, would a route North or South have better winds to Coast along the U.S.? I will work my way tacking off shore and use my engine only to enter and leave a port.Which landfalls would you make and which would you skip? I will also winter in port and move in favorable weather. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:09   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO
Re: Cruising East Coast U.S. North to South or South to North?

I am doing some planning to make the same trip. Want to do port to port from Florida to Nova Scotia. I think the best way to do this is to sail all the way from Florida to Nova Scotia in the early spring, catch the Gulfstream as much as possible, then move to shore and start back South using the port to port near shore cruising.

Hopefully others who have been there done that can chime in and confirm or change my plan.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 13:16   #3

Well, since I am already here in southern Fl., it makes sense to do it the way you're planning. And,since I plan to end up here, an enselrundtfhart, or quick round trip, most likely be in order. That leaves the stopping points to consider. Favorable slants and interesting ports. Thanks,we'll see if anyone contributes to that part.
Old 05-09-2015, 13:26   #4

Quote:
interesting ports
I would definitely pay Savannah and Charleston (and probably St. Augustine) a visit to see the Cities.

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 15:49   #5

Sorry, I wasn't asking for tourist destinations, rather route planning to plan legs of the trip. You know, like two or three hundred mile jumps.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:30   #6

Boat: Hatteras my 63
Send a message via AIM to Mjeinstein

Did you consider the coast both ways with stops in different ports each way
Mjeinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42   #7

Boat: Oyster 55

Ports and tourist destinations are not entirely separate questions. If you are only interested in sailing the length of the U.S. east coast, why stop in any ports at all?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43   #8

Yes, I did. Wish I had the log books of some of the old trading schooners that used to work their way up AND down the coast. They had their respective priorities about routes and picking up and offloading goods along with where they wanted to be at different times of the seasons. Maybe I should approach it from that perspective. Only I won't be trading,just making port calls. I've got the rest of my life to do this and will probably sign on for pay ,a couple to help out with the watchstanding and ship keeping. A thousand per month and found with a private cabin, hanging locker and double berth.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44   #9

Dr.Sea,you don't get it.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:47   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

My plan is different then jreiter190's. I will go way North and then a very slow return stopping lots of places. If it takes me a year that is OK. If I get tired of sailing I will stop someplace, leave the boat and go home for a month or two then return and continue on. I will probably do only day sails back South and spend a few days at any interesting places along the way.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06   #11

Rideht, I understand your thinking. I did the whole European coast of the Mediterranean in the'80's and, when I moved after spending one day to three months in a port, day sailed to the next. Every port and island. Took almost four years. I plan on the same amount of time on this voyage but not put into every port. I like going offshore for two or three days between ports.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't asking for tourist destinations, rather route planning to plan legs of the trip. You know, like two or three hundred mile jumps.
In that case, why not just get yourself some paper charts (hell, even a road atlas will do ;-)), a pair of dividers, and start stepping off distances? ;-)

Pretty much any way your figure it, depending on your starting point, Canaveral/Ponce Inlet, Charleston, Beaufort, the Chesapeake Entrance, and so on are the ones that are gonna keep popping up...

Further on up the line, Atlantic City, Nantucket or Onset, Eastport, and you're ready to turn around...

You'll be missing one hell of a lot of marvelous places in between, but if all you want to do is sail the length of the East coast in legs of that distance, there you go...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:13   #13

I think cruising guides for these areas will give you much more comprehensive information than even the most helpful responses you receive on a forum.
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:45   #14
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
I think cruising guides for these areas will give you much more comprehensive information than even the most helpful responses you receive on a forum.
I would disagree... Cruising guides tend to focus on destinations, facilities, shoreside attractions, and the coastal sailing between them... Very few contain much in the way of advice on how best to bypass most of the stuff contained in the guide, by sailing offshore ;-) One notable exception might be the Taft Guide to Maine, if memory serves it has a pretty comprehensive overview of the various options of reaching Maine 'from away', different strategies for crossing the Gulf, etc...

For example, the WATERWAY GUIDE has long been one of the bibles for snowbirds making the trek south. And, yet, it contains very little information regarding the options for making hops outside. Hell, the recent thread here re staying inside the Gulf Stream probably contains more pertinent information for someone headed offshore than the WG does, and I have little doubt that a search of the archives here, or a new thread started by someone wanting advice on heading from, say, Beaufort to Charleston, or Mayport/St Augustine would likely unearth FAR more useful information than any East coast "cruising guide" that I'm aware of...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51   #15

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Yes, I did. Wish I had the log books of some of the old trading schooners that used to work their way up AND down the coast. They had their respective priorities about routes and picking up and offloading goods along with where they wanted to be at different times of the seasons. Maybe I should approach it from that perspective. Only I won't be trading,just making port calls. I've got the rest of my life to do this and will probably sign on for pay ,a couple to help out with the watchstanding and ship keeping. A thousand per month and found with a private cabin, hanging locker and double berth.
If thats the case, you'd better plan on the tourist traps. As the trading sea port are the tourist traps.

if you want to sail off shore and drop in to ports "conveniently" doit going north, using the stream and stay close to shore going south, missing the stream or go way off and do long passages south.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, east coast