Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 10:56   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Marina responsibility vs my own

Yesterday I had to dock temporarily on the t-head in my marina, since the tide was still running strong when I arrived back and it was very hard next to dangerous to try and dock myself in my regular slip.

I docked on the t-head and waited for the tide to subside. When that happened, I left the t-head, and that's then disaster stroke; I was on the edge of the t-head, meaning I was near the corner where the t-head ends. As I backed out, but still held lines to keep the hull close to the dock, as well as having wind that pushed me ON the dock, I was hugging the rubrail as I went backwards and heard an ugly noise. I tried to veer off the rubrail but of course I managed that half a boat length later.

By the time I arrived to the dock I had a HUGE scratch (a line) on my port side. Deep. Not something that will rub off with sanding even.

As I went back to the THEAD, I inspected the corner of the head and found an exposed screw top. A panhead with finishing washer was holding the two rubrails (exterior) together. There is an expectation that you can use a RUB rail to RUB on it without worrying about it scratching all your boat.

What's the marina's responsibility on this? They offered to ... discount me next month something ... How do I fix this? What monetary value would this scratch imply to fix it? I think it just sucks on one hand, but the ONE thing one needs is the marina to not have POINTY stuff where you are supposed to rest the boat.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Marina responsibility vs my own

Their actual responsibility? Probably zero. A good fiberglass/gelcoat repair person could fix it most likely, I would get an estimate, get it repaired, and perhaps, perhaps ask them for some discount on slip rental to compensate.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't think they have any responsibility at all, unless you can prove that they knew about the screw, knew it would damage your boat and decided to do nothing about it. In other words prove negligence.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:43   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

The marina has no responsibility. Things happen and screws come loose.

You docked the boat and you drove the boat away. Suck it up and pay for the repair.

Keep in mind that you docked somewhere you weren't supposed to be docked.

Sorry.
Old 18-07-2017, 11:51   #5

Boat: Passport 40

I am not attempting to play a blame game from a liability standpoint, nor am I expecting them to pay for the repair, and I thought it was nice of them to offer a discount on the slip. Just something that shouldn't happen, happened. This is not a screw that came loose. It was "negligent" that the dock repair people used an exposed screw ON the rubrail portion of the rubrail (not one of the ones holding it below or above, but in the middle portion of the rubrail. Somebody thought it was a good idea to do that at the end of the rubrail.

My point is more like this kind of situation, what can one do, I can only trust the rubrail will not scratch my boat if I get pushed onto it. What else could I do to avoid **** like this happening again? I guess it's a draw of the straw thing. This was not a clearly visible screw of course. Anyhow ... Ill get it fixed. Once I become a better docker I guess ...
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:55   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

All the way around the boat

(just bad luck of the draw)
Old 18-07-2017, 12:01   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Most of us set fenders in place before we dock and remove them after we have left the dock but even then, if you travel and dock much, there will be incidents. Some marinas are in pretty rough shape and it's your responsibility to dock safely, not theirs.

You will have situations where wind or wakes blow your boat into docks or pilings and cause damage. You will have other boats hit your boat and take off without taking responsibility. You will be washing your boat one day and wonder how that chip or dent got there.

The reality is, if you use your boat, these things are going to happen. It's an unfortunate part of boating.
Old 18-07-2017, 12:04   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

This is your fault entirely. Rub rails are nice, but it's still your responsibility to use fenders.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 12:12   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I've been in countless marina, public docks, restaurant docks that have various sharp things sticking out where they shouldn't be. Yes they can damage your boat. It is incumbent on you as skipper to watch out for such dangers and to learn to control your boat by spring line and fenders to avoid damage. If the marina is willing to offset some of your loss that is good of them. Ask around for a good gel coat repair person. It is not a hard repair but color matching the gel coat is an art and will cost more than you would think. Count yourself among the many of us who learned the same way you are learning now.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 12:24   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In a perfect world, the marina would charge you ten cents a foot per month, and still have staff to lovingly varnish and polish those rubrails, too.

Finding the loose screw, sucks. But generally the captain moving the boat is responsible for everything that happens to, for, or with it.

So write if off as an inconvenient lesson in "These are not bumper cars" and I would make a point to actually THANK the guy at the marina for his generous offer of a discount, while you are accepting it.

The scratch? Yeah, clean it, touch it up with paint or gelcoat touchup, or get one of those three foot long band-aid vinyl decals to cover it. Put it behind you, move on.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 15:47   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The obvious question: Where were your fenders?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 16:06   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Fenders will "scrape" away while dragging along a dock so will not provide adequate protection.
Old 18-07-2017, 16:07   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

G'day, gaucho,

Sadly, you bear all the responsibility. The gelcoat repair is something you can actually attempt yourself, but you'll have to get the stuff shipped in from the States. If you're so inclined, I'm sure there are some U-tubes on how to do it. The trickiest part is to get the color match right, and the prep is a small PITA.

We've been fooled by dock trim that looked like rub rail material and wasn't. As Stu M suggested, fender up carefully, don't count on others to take care of your boat. Any slack the marina cuts you is a blessing, especially in a foreign country.

Ann
Old 18-07-2017, 17:01   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

As the dockmaster at a big marina in Georgia, I'll take a stab at this one. First off, you are lucky that you are getting a break from the marina. They really don't have to offer that most likely, but I haven't read their rules and regulations. Typically, a marina is not going to be held responsible for damage to your boat. That being said, someone did crappy job leaving an exposed screw to scratch your boat. We just replaced 1400 feet of rub rail on dock 1, and you won't find any exposed screws to scratch your boat. So....shame on that marina. On the other hand, why were you away from the slip if the wind and current were a problem? I see boats leave their slip when it just is not the right time. Wind blowing onto the dock really is a challenge for inexperienced captains. You can't just motor forward or aft. You will drag along the dock. Try putting a fender off the bow. Have a secure bow line cleated off, and power forward. This will move the stern away, and you can back off without dragging along the dock. Keep in mind prop walk. Know your boat, and plan ahead for what you intend to do. What works for you and your boat. Keep in mind that you are responsible for damage to other boats when you are at the helm. The line handlers will do their best to prevent damage to other boats, but conditions may be overwhelming if you choose that moment to dock. I think you chose wisely to take a T-head temporarily. Sorry you had a scratch on your boat that could have been avoided in more than one way. Good thread!
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 17:19   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

You cannot be serious. You dragged your boat with out adequate fenders across a dock and you expect someone else to bail you out for the cosmetic damage you inflicted on your gel coat? Come on man, fix the problem and improve your seamanship, (or live with the scratch).
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote