Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 16:23   #1

Luxury Yacht Brands

Similar to how Airbus and Boeing dominate private jets, what would be the equivalent best of the best shipbuilding companies besides Feadship and Lürssen?
Billionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 16:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Luxury Yacht Brands

Define " Best"....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 16:49   #3

I was thinking he meant...

Rolex is to watches
Omega is to watches

as

X is to boats
Y is to boats

Though his examples were of luxury ships, and biggest airliners, not cruising boats.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 16:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Define " Best"....
Most expensive/luxurious etc.
Old 10-01-2022, 17:00   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Oceanco would be the last of the big three to bring up. I don’t really know what you are looking to achieve here though. Seems a simple enough google to find megayacht brands.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 17:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Oceanco would be the last of the big three to bring up. I don’t really know what you are looking to achieve here though. Seems a simple enough google to find megayacht brands.
I've read a few articles but I want to know the most iconic whereas Google lists Top 10's etc.

What about Blohm+Voss? Google says "Blohm+Voss is now a subsidiary of Lürssen but still creates top-quality ships and yachts." Does that mean they're independent of Lürssen or do they work together?

Blohm+Voss or Oceanco?
Old 10-01-2022, 17:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I find these topics get little traction....

Who is best...BMW..Porsche...Ferrarri.....etc...????

There is a boat out there for every budget, every purpose, every sailor, any type of water.

Billionaire owner's don't sail their yachts, their crew does...are they having a better time than mom and pop on their 20 footer ??

Blah blah blah..I'd warrant that few, if any, billionaires frequent this forum, and they'd be the one's to ask. Nope, this forum caters to your average sailor who is unlikely to plunk down a few mil to impress their friends.

'jes sayin'...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 22:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaires View Post
I've read a few articles but I want to know the most iconic whereas Google lists Top 10's etc.

What about Blohm+Voss? Google says "Blohm+Voss is now a subsidiary of Lürssen but still creates top-quality ships and yachts." Does that mean they're independent of Lürssen or do they work together?

Blohm+Voss or Oceanco?
There is a lot better forum for this type of thing. Blohm & Voss was wrecked by Eclipse and Lurssen ended up buying them. They don’t make anything under their name anymore. If you are looking for bespoke yachts, it’s really Feadship (de vries or Van Lent as they are two separate companies), Lurssen (I’d argue that Lurssen and Feadship are equal), then Oceanco and Abeking Rasmussen for motor yachts. Would also consider Royal HuisMan up there with their recent motor yacht Phi and a great refit yard. After these guys, with Feadship and Lurssen being at the top, you get to more middle tier brands like Nobiskrug or several Italian builders.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:34   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Luxury Yacht Brands

A friend of mine owned a custom Jongert, the most beautiful yacht I have ever been on.. everything one could want both above and below deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1530888913.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	251031   Click image for larger version

Name:	1530890241.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	251032  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:15   #10

Quote:
There is a lot better forum for this type of thing. Blohm & Voss was wrecked by Eclipse and Lurssen ended up buying them. They don’t make anything under their name anymore. If you are looking for bespoke yachts, it’s really Feadship (de vries or Van Lent as they are two separate companies), Lurssen (I’d argue that Lurssen and Feadship are equal), then Oceanco and Abeking Rasmussen for motor yachts. Would also consider Royal HuisMan up there with their recent motor yacht Phi and a great refit yard. After these guys, with Feadship and Lurssen being at the top, you get to more middle tier brands like Nobiskrug or several Italian builders.
What you're saying is Oceanco are not on the same level as Feadship and Lürssen?

Since October 2021
According to Hamburger Morgen Post Newspaper Interview and Meeting on 30 September 2021 and repeated at Hamburger Abendblatt,[42] Peter Lürßen (61) personally presented himself to the workforce with news, saying Lürssen won't make refit to cruise ships and merchant ships like tankers and container ships in Hamburg anymore. The new building department was dissolved. All six floating docks were in review. The repair division was not a success. Despite the around 20 million euros invested in modern shipyard technology, the subletting of many halls and the shrinkage to only around a third of the used shipyard area, the costs were still too high and is not yet fit for the future. The location is too expensive compared to other shipyards, so structural measures and cost adjustments were necessary. The Business were split in two, construction of naval ships like Corvette in one called NVL and mega-yachts as Lürßen itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm%...e_October_2021
Old 11-01-2022, 09:31   #11

Quote:
What you're saying is Oceanco are not on the same level as Feadship and Lürssen?

Since October 2021
According to Hamburger Morgen Post Newspaper Interview and Meeting on 30 September 2021 and repeated at Hamburger Abendblatt,[42] Peter Lürßen (61) personally presented himself to the workforce with news, saying Lürssen won't make refit to cruise ships and merchant ships like tankers and container ships in Hamburg anymore. The new building department was dissolved. All six floating docks were in review. The repair division was not a success. Despite the around 20 million euros invested in modern shipyard technology, the subletting of many halls and the shrinkage to only around a third of the used shipyard area, the costs were still too high and is not yet fit for the future. The location is too expensive compared to other shipyards, so structural measures and cost adjustments were necessary. The Business were split in two, construction of naval ships like Corvette in one called NVL and mega-yachts as Lürßen itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm%...e_October_2021
They make a great yacht but Feadship and Lurssen are better. I’m not sure what you are really trying to accomplish here.

Jognert has made some nice boats but I don’t think they have done much lately. If I recall, they may have just recently been purchased but may be mixing that up with Balk.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:44   #12

Quote:
They make a great yacht but Feadship and Lurssen are better. I’m not sure what you are really trying to accomplish here.

Jognert has made some nice boats but I don’t think they have done much lately. If I recall, they may have just recently been purchased but may be mixing that up with Balk.
I wanna know the best luxury yacht brands that are like Airbus and Boeing is to aerospace, which just happens to be Feadship and Lürssen? Oceanco don't fit that criterion?
Old 11-01-2022, 12:20   #13

Quote:
I wanna know the best luxury yacht brands that are like Airbus and Boeing is to aerospace, which just happens to be Feadship and Lürssen? Oceanco don't fit that criterion?
To be fair, that doesn’t even make sense. Boeing and Airbus essentially have a duopoly on the airline market. They are more akin to ocean transport vessels. If you are looking to luxury, then you would be saying Gulfstream, Bombardier, and Dassault Falcon. While there is the BBJ and ACJ, the luxury isn’t done by them but by contractors. Oceanco is a top tier yard and would fit my above analogy as would Abeking Rasmussen.
Old 11-01-2022, 13:03   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah the airbus/Boeing equivalent is whoever make all those tankers and cargo ships

I think at the ultra high end it's not so much about the 'brand' as the bespoke individual vessels.

It's a shame so many (most) of them are so wasteful and ugly monuments to excess
Old 11-01-2022, 13:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Yeah the airbus/Boeing equivalent is whoever make all those tankers and cargo ships

I think at the ultra high end it's not so much about the 'brand' as the bespoke individual vessels.

It's a shame so many (most) of them are so wasteful and ugly monuments to excess
I’d disagree regarding the ‘brand’ aspect. The list of builders I referenced will build a better, higher quality product than others. It’s just like saying Swan, Contest, Oyster vs Beneteau, Hanse, and Bavaria.

Tags
yacht