Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 13:23   #16

Boat: Pearson
Re: Loose footed main or attached

loose foot all the racers go with it , yes its different but nice, with a reputable sailmaker
Old 08-12-2018, 14:03   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Gotcha...feeling the confidence about loose footed benefits.

But...How about “new and different” loads on the boom (changing from attached footed with slugs in track to clew only attached loose footed)? Reading some comments online where some folks expressed concern that changing to loose footed on a boom “designed” for slugs could possibly create “new and different” loads... I think that’s a stretch - I don’t think it matters...

Thoughts?

(Side note - Out haul shouldn’t be a problem as the boom is currently set up with dedicated out haul sheave at boom end and out haul line then runs forward thru a clutch to a boom mounted winch - should adapt readily.)
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 14:11   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've used loose footed mains for many years. Their only down side is it makes using them to collect rain water pretty near impossible. In the one shelf-foot main we had, I put a hose barb at the gooseneck end, and when it rained, a huge deluge of water would come gushing out, into a hose and thus to the tank.

That was cool, but I still routinely buy loose footed mains!

Jim
Old 08-12-2018, 14:32   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
Gotcha...feeling the confidence about loose footed benefits.

But...How about “new and different” loads on the boom (changing from attached footed with slugs in track to clew only attached loose footed)? Reading some comments online where some folks expressed concern that changing to loose footed on a boom “designed” for slugs could possibly create “new and different” loads... I think that’s a stretch - I don’t think it matters...

Thoughts?

(Side note - Out haul shouldn’t be a problem as the boom is currently set up with dedicated out haul sheave at boom end and out haul line then runs forward thru a clutch to a boom mounted winch - should adapt readily.)
My thought is that there might be slightly new and slightly different loads that should be well within the strength of the boom. (and gooseneck)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:08   #20

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Loose footed for sure!
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:14   #21

Boat: Oday 25

I also have a loose footed main. By running a 1/8" Spectra line from clew to boom end and back 4 times, you end up with a 4 to 1 pseudo pulley system which works becase the line has almost no friction. No winch neccessary, although once set, there is almost no inclination to change tension
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:14   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
My thought is that there might be slightly new and slightly different loads that should be well within the strength of the boom. (and gooseneck)
Me to.
Old 08-12-2018, 16:17   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
I also have a loose footed main. By running a 1/8" Spectra line from clew to boom end and back 4 times, you end up with a 4 to 1 pseudo pulley system which works becase the line has almost no friction. No winch neccessary, although once set, there is almost no inclination to change tension
Do you tension the Spectra line by hand? What type/size boat?
Old 08-12-2018, 16:18   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Things that work on an O'Day 25 might nt quite be man enough on an Irwin 41. The outhaul loads go up pretty fast with larger sails and greater righting moments.

And lots of sailors like to adjust their mainsail shape by changing outhaul tension... I certainly do.

Jim `
Old 08-12-2018, 17:34   #25

I tried a spectra clew strop and found it to be noisy. So I made a very heavy duty sail slug from a cheap cast stainless padeye. About 1/2 hour with a grinder and it was done.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 18:40   #26

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Our mainsail loads are quite high. We have a six:1 block and tackle inside the boom to tension the outhaul. It sees adjustment frequently.
Old 08-12-2018, 19:46   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

G'day All, I solved the problem of tensioning the outhaul on the loose footed mainsail on our Cheoy Lee 43 by using a Milawauke M28V right angle drill with a winch bit, the torque on that beast can turn me in circles! It sure gets the tension I need.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 21:24   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Some basic stuff:

Someone should point out that with a loose foot, even relatively large sails can be outhauled without purchase (or minimal) IF you make the adjustment with the sheet slacked or while into the wind. It is only when they are loaded up that it takes effort.

With attached foot sails it is always a little difficult, since the cloth must be stretched a considerable distance.

Also remember to set the down haul (halyard tension) BEFORE you outhaul, or you can do bad things to the sail.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:55   #29
Marine Service Provider

Good info...thanks...but...

Does anyone think boom loads are higher or significantly different when changing from attached foot main to loose foot main?

I don’t...thoughts?
Old 09-12-2018, 02:25   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Things that work on an O'Day 25 might nt quite be man enough on an Irwin 41. The outhaul loads go up pretty fast with larger sails and greater righting moments.

And lots of sailors like to adjust their mainsail shape by changing outhaul tension... I certainly do.

Jim `
We also use the outhaul to vary the shape of the main depending on the wind strength. Also there is an interesting pair of calculators on the Harken website one of which calculates the mainsheet load for a given wind strength. Whilst the main sheet is different its a start point for thinking about loads on the end of the boom:

https://www.harken.co.uk/Calculators/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote