Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2024, 19:33   #106

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Is there a senior (70+) cruising sailor forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
Sorry for the necro-post, and it looks like Peter S hasn't postied in a while, but just wondering. Peter, if you are still here, did you do it? Anyone else know Peter S.?
Would be interesting to find out. I turn 80 this year and did an 8 day non stop singlehanded passage this past winter from Tasmania to Yamba in an Admas 10 daysailor. Was a wild ride but fun at times, not all the time though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 21:31   #107

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Would be interesting to find out. I turn 80 this year and did an 8 day non stop singlehanded passage this past winter from Tasmania to Yamba in an Admas 10 daysailor. Was a wild ride but fun at times, not all the time though.
I had to Google the Admas! I assume you meant ths boat: http://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/adams-10/

In which case I have to say: you sir, are a stud!
Old 02-01-2024, 21:46   #108

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Sheesh John, ya didn't stop in to visit! Would have enjoyed a catch-up... and did you take your beautiful parrot along for crew?

Us old farts must stick together, keep the youngsters in line and all that, but likely don't need a separate forum to do it IMO. We can duke it out right here in the mainstream with lots of witnesses!

Jim (two weeks away from 86)
Old 02-01-2024, 22:41   #109

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5

And I thought I was getting too old at 68. Jeesh. Always a step behind you more experienced guys and gals. Will it never cease?!
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 22:43   #110

Quote:
I had to Google the Admas! I assume you meant ths boat: http://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/adams-10/

In which case I have to say: you sir, are a stud!
Unfortunately, yes that's the boat. Has a cabin on it and an extended stern with a very well designed rudder. I made a low offer on it without seeing it and he instantly accepted when I told him I was going to cross Bass Strait in it.
I really did not want to go but sometimes you just have to conquer your fears. In fact I get very nervous on any long passage before leaving. There's so much that can go wrong. Got a bit lucky as the boat has been re engineered and is stronger than when new. I was doing a sustained 16kts north of Montague Island under a very dark cloud. Couldn't reduce the sail as I was stuck on the tiller. At the time I had a double reefed main and #3 jib up. A previous owner told me he did 23 kts sustained at one time..... I didn't believe him. I do now.
Old 02-01-2024, 23:00   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh John, ya didn't stop in to visit! Would have enjoyed a catch-up... and did you take your beautiful parrot along for crew?

Us old farts must stick together, keep the youngsters in line and all that, but likely don't need a separate forum to do it IMO. We can duke it out right here in the mainstream with lots of witnesses!

Jim (two weeks away from 86)
Hi Jim, I bought the boat in Launceston sitting in the mud. It had been used twice in 6 years. The owner is a golf pro and not a sailor. He was scared of it. A very sweet man though and has a beautiful waterfront home. He was very good to me and thought I was a bit crazy....... now confirmed. I was interviewed by the ABC a couple of times as I was going up the coast as I hit something south of Gabo and had no engine at the time. All's well now though.
In 1976 I helped build the original Adams 10 with Hank Kauffman in Mona Vale. Nearly 50 years later I own one. Always hated them. Life is strange.
If the boat had been down your way I would have said hello etc, sorry. I was a bit strung out before I left as it was blowing a gale as I was leaving.
I sold the Yankee 30 last Jan. Great boat.
Happy Birthday too. Didn't take Sonny the eclectus. He stayed behind and learnt Chinese from Guanjie. Bye John.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:03   #112

Boat: Malo 42

Quote:
Sorry for the necro-post, and it looks like Peter S hasn't postied in a while, but just wondering. Peter, if you are still here, did you do it? Anyone else know Peter S.?
Hi Katapult Mike, I'm all ready to ser sail across the Atlantic but unfortunately divorce has srewed things up so, having to delay unfortunately, hopefully setting off in early November. Just the way things go sometimes
AcroPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:19   #113

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroPilot View Post
Hi Katapult Mike, I'm all ready to ser sail across the Atlantic but unfortunately divorce has srewed things up so, having to delay unfortunately, hopefully setting off in early November. Just the way things go sometimes
Thanks for the update! Stuff happens sometimes, what can you say. Presumably you will be that much more prepared for your voayage, right?
Old 03-01-2024, 11:43   #114

Boat: Malo 42

Thanks for the update! Stuff happens sometimes, what can you say. Presumably you will be that much more prepared for your voayage, right?

Yes, I should certainly now be prepared when the time comes, unless something else comes along to get in the way!
AcroPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 13:53   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, well, well, lookee here....I've stumbled on to the " old farts club"......I guess I could be member if the minimum age is 70...

The secret to having a fun life in your dotage is to have a young wife....mine is 17 years my junior, and she keeps me on my toes with refrains like "pick it up yerself .... I'm not your swabbie"

70 today is yesteryears 50, lotsa old geezers like us still out there.....in fact...showing the youngsters a thing or two.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 14:08   #116

Boat: Bristol 27

We recently had a guy retire at work that was 80 years old. He was the only guy left that could update the software on our old mainframe computers.

I have now a 73 year old Tech that may work a few more years.

And no, he isn't missing life because he isn't sailing.

He loves being a tech (computer. electronic, electrical, cyber, you name it)

All the many years he spent at sea he was below the surface or when on the surface unable to see because he was still below decks.

He is a battery expert from his experience on Subs.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 14:27   #117
Marine Service Provider

I know a guy who must be in his 80's now. He started building a boat when he was in his 30's.
He has no plans to finish the boat, as it is 99.99% finished years ago.
He constantly finds things he has yet to do to finish it.
In his head he has sailed around the world many times.
Seeing him work on his boat is a thing of beauty as he is a craftsman extraordinaire.

One day some lucky person is gonna get that boat.

But as stated above, he isn't missing life because he isn't sailing.
On the contrary...the boat keeps him young, fit and healthy.
Old 03-01-2024, 15:03   #118

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I know a guy who must be in his 80's now. He started building a boat when he was in his 30's.
He has no plans to finish the boat,
Oh boy, yeah, I know a guy who's ~72 now, he started building a steel Bill Hanna design, the "Tahitiana", in ~'75>'76.
So, here we are ~45+ years later and he's still at it, (ya know, you don't want to make hasty decisions when you're building a boat).
Once in a while he fires-up the 10Hp Sabb diesel that he bought when he started.
I suspect he may just finish it.
Old 03-01-2024, 15:28   #119
Marine Service Provider

I like to see these old timers do woodwork and to clarify, old timers must be older than me.
They don't so much join two pieces of wood together, rather they marry two pieces of wood together.
Wood is carefully selected as to grain, color, alignment and many other things beyond my scope of knowledge.
They keep their tools immaculate, floors swept daily, etc, etc.

Ha ha, my workshed while I was building my boat looked like a tornado passed thru' every day.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:57   #120

Boat: Pearson 34

I was ready to sell last spring when the wife decided NOT TO! I'll continue "Messing about" in our boat as long as my knees and bank account can take it! Great Forum!
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, rum, sail