Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2022, 17:24   #1

Boat: Malo 42
Is there a senior (70+) cruising sailor forum?

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if there is a seniors (70+) cruising sailor forum.
I’ve been sailing on and off most of my life but only now taking sailing more seriously (I’m 74). I still enjoy my main passion/carrier which is flying and still fly regularly including doing loops, rolls and inverted flight etc in my Skybolt! However I am starting to take sailing more seriously and have invested in a Malo 42. I’m presently getting used to the boat and preparing her for some off shore adventures, the first of which is a solo trans Atlantic, setting off on Jan 2 2023, my 75th birthday.
It would be great to be able to chat with other, like minded sailors, but I can’t find any such forums. If there isn’t any I would like to start one, I am sure there is a whole load of guys & girls out there doing their thing in their aging years. Any thoughts, comments or opinions would be much appreciated. Peter S.
AcroPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 17:34   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Is there a senior (70+) cruising sailor forum?

By some of the posters here I'd say you'd found it.
Old 04-02-2022, 17:42   #3

Thx for the reply Glenn! The CruisersForum is a great site and I always look forward to receiving the latest etc. But is there a specific forum, association or club etc specific for the aging sailor? Peter S.
Old 04-02-2022, 17:45   #4

My experience, since I started internet-ing about boats is "no." Many of us, however, are "experienced." I was born in '45.

This seems to also be the case in my other hobby, model railroading.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 17:53   #5

Hi Stu,
I think it’s time to “create “ a seniors sailors association! Your common on your other hobby, model railroading, is interesting, it would be interesting to hear what other senior sails get up to when not sailing! PS.
Old 04-02-2022, 17:56   #6
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroPilot View Post
Thx for the reply Glenn! The CruisersForum is a great site and I always look forward to receiving the latest etc. But is there a specific forum, association or club etc specific for the aging sailor? Peter S.
Just kind of wondering what specifically you think you'd be looking for there? Like how we have to look for ways to store our meds, how I always have a couple of back up glasses around, how I now wear gloves when before I never did, how cuts are now even worse to deal with and happen in ways before that wouldn't have scratched the skin or.... what did you have in mind?

And of course, we like to claim we make up for everything because we have more experience.... Perhaps you're interested in even greater tall tales?

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 18:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Just kind of wondering what specifically you think you'd be looking for there? Like how we have to look for ways to store our meds, how I always have a couple of back up glasses around, how I now wear gloves when before I never did, how cuts are now even worse to deal with and happen in ways before that wouldn't have scratched the skin or.... what did you have in mind?

And of course, we like to claim we make up for everything because we have more experience.... Perhaps you're interested in even greater tall tales?

dj
Hi DJ,
Yes, the sort of things you mentioned but also relating to cruises underway, achieved and in the planning, including routes, type of boat, solo or crewed etc. I am sure there is a lot of useful information that can be shared. PS.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:16   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As mentioned many of us are either approaching the 70 mark or have left it behind. How about just starting a thread pertaining to issues, concerns or interests of the over 70 crowd? Or you could start a social group here too. Welcome aboard! Flying is in our family too; I spent many hours of my youth with my dad in his Cessna 195.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 18:18   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37
Is there a senior (70+) cruising sailor forum?

Acro, I think you'll find that MOST members fit your category. In some ways it would be more apt to have a "not-seniors" sub group here on CF. Most member already fit the definition of being a senior.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
As mentioned many of us are either approaching the 70 mark or have left it behind. How about just starting a thread pertaining to issues, concerns or interests of the over 70 crowd? Or you could start a social group here too. Welcome aboard! Flying is in our family too; I spent many hours of my youth with my dad in his Cessna 195.
Hi Don,
Just create a thread here? Good idea, it’s a good start anyway, maybe it could eventually develop into an association? PS.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Acro, I think you'll find that MOST members fit your category. In some ways it would be more apt to have a "not-seniors" sub group here on CF. Most member already fit the definition of being a senior.
Mike,
You’ve hit the nail on the head! But I still think there’s room for us aging folk to have our own thread/forum etc. I just like the idea. PS.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:37   #12

Maybe the best way forward is to create a Facebook group and use that platform? What does everyone think? PS.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
__________________________________________________ ________

I think Don has the best idea; just start a social group for over 70. Most aspects of sailing is going to pertain to all age groups. I do understand that as we age (75 this year) we have to think differently how to undertake just about any sailing situation. And usually the only people who understand old people are other old people.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichungman View Post
__________________________________________________ ________

I think Don has the best idea; just start a social group for over 70. Most aspects of sailing is going to pertain to all age groups. I do understand that as we age (75 this year) we have to think differently how to undertake just about any sailing situation. And usually the only people who understand old people are other old people.
Good idea, how do we start a social group for over 70? I’d like to get it started. PS.
Old 04-02-2022, 19:19   #15

PS...on the Main page find Community...click on that and when that opens, find Social Groups and click on that. When that page opens, scroll down until you see...Create a New Group and click on that and follow instructions. If you get hung up along the way, ask a younger guy..ha

Tags
cruising, rum, sail