Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 10:28   #1

Boat: hunter 376
Is the MOB Pole Obsolete?

I want to add a MOB pole to the vessel, but some have said the MOB feature on the chartplotter makes the pole obsolete. Now I know its a matter of personal choice, so I still want the pole, but I don't see them near as much as in the past. Will you rely on the MOB button in a MOB emergency, or do you have the pole, or both, or neither?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 10:32   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: is the MOB pole obsolete?

If your going out in the deep, you'll want a pole. And one with a light for after dark.

It's really hard to see someone bobbing up and down in 10'+ waves. And that's likely when someone will go off. Keep the jack line short, and you won't need it!
Old 20-01-2013, 12:58   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

With the wave/current action, the person in the water will drift away from the position marked on the plotter. Then, it is useful to have something for making the MOB easier to see in a seaway.

My MOB pole (with a light) is linked to the lifebuoy by 50m floating line. The idea is to throw the buoy immediately, then take the few seconds necessary to free the pole and throw it.

The next project is to have an AIS transponder on the boat and AIS-emitting PLB on all lifevests aboard, but that will have to wait.

In this domain, I believe in "layered defence": jacklines and tethers to prevent falling overboard, lifevests to stay afloat, MOB pole to be seen, lifesling/ladder to recover the MOB.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:07   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

Ya can't throw a Plotter over the side when it happens and the person left on board (not you) may well panic and not think to mark.

A danbouy is simple, effective with a 99% chance of performing it's function, agree with all the above, in Australia we store in a piece of PVC Conduit sometimes moulded into the hull or on a cat saddled up underneath with the deployment line tied to the aft rail.

Attach everything to it that you believe will assist someone to be noticed...
Old 20-01-2013, 13:41   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Ya can't throw a Plotter over the side when it happens and the person left on board (not you) may well panic and not think to mark.

A danbouy is simple, effective with a 99% chance of performing it's function, agree with all the above, in Australia we store in a piece of PVC Conduit sometimes moulded into the hull or on a cat saddled up underneath with the deployment line tied to the aft rail.

Attach everything to it that you believe will assist someone to be noticed...
An old picture, but like so............... Mine use to be in the hull but PVC doesn't seal well to FG. So it's patched and set up on the back stay.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIX09d.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	53230  
Old 20-01-2013, 14:02   #6

We don't have one although I'm sure if someone went into the water you'd want the tallest and brightest thing possible to go in right after them. We have a lifesling, but that can get yanked around by the boat.

I'm sort of the mind that between the MOB button the gps and knowledge of set and drift (this is where I make a jab that I do "real" navigation) and a pile of cushions and self lighting strobes I should be able to get back to anyone.

You could fashion your own pole as well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:21   #7

And they to you in panic?

All things must be setup for the weakest link to be able to come through, i've lost two friends to MOB situations and a third one rescued (not on my boat)

Alcohol played a part in the two deaths the third one was rescued by the skipper heading back on a reciprocal heading, nearly running him over LOL.

We have fitted the Raymarine Lifetag System this thread has prompted me to put a wristband on the Danbouy!
Old 20-01-2013, 14:50   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Lagoon4us, the only problem with that idea of the wristband is that it is a one time event, the same as hitting the MOB button. It only tells you where it originally went into the water. An AIS transmitter (you can read more on PANBO: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/0...opularity.html) gives you the current position of the device so you and others can locate it on their individual MFDs. At least it reduces the search pattern. It's best on the victim, but having a backup on an LED strobe MOB pole with drogue is going to afford more accurate (and speedy) recoveries, by yourself or nearby assistance. I have the Lifetag system, but I recognize the serious limitations of it in actual use.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:55   #9

Ah agree totally but we also have the EPIRB attached, the Lifetag gives alarmed early warning regardless. Cheers.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:06   #10

Ah, but the problem is that the EPIRB doesn't help us find our victim. It directs remote SAR teams to where the unit is. An AIS system would be immediate, show up the current position on the MFD, and notify anyone within 20 or so miles of an existing emergency. They could redirect their vessels now instead of being notified many hours later, as well as have pretty good locating resources with their own electronics. Time may be an issue that we just don't have the luxury for. I was just talking with John Prentice, of SCARLETT O'HARA, about their rescue of a fellow cruiser off Fiji a year or two ago. The victims were able to be rescued within 45 minutes because they had issued a Mayday, and were within sight of the rescuing vessel. The victim's boat sank a short time afterward, in the dark, with conditions deteriorating. I'm not criticizing your suggestion, but simply trying to emphasize that time is the issue, and location specificity, coupled with a wide area notification system, like AIS, seems to be the best we can hope for at the moment.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:11   #11

I just found this on the web: Smartfind S5 AIS SART - McMurdo Marine | EPIRB | PLB | AIS Beacon | AIS Electronics | VHF Radio | NAVTEX

Here's something from PANBO: http://gcaptain.com/overboard-sarts-devices/

And this: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/0...ing_phase.html

This is such new stuff, and changing rapidly. We may see a sea change coming in the next year of how we initiate distress calls, MOBs, etc., with the vehicle of AIS systems. Pretty exciting stuff!
Old 20-01-2013, 15:23   #12

Please correct me if i'm wrong, in Australia Danbouys originated from the racing scene, we had to have one if our races were offshore. They seemed a good idea and recreational boats picked up on the idea.

Were they widely used in America?
Old 20-01-2013, 15:31   #13

Yes. Now, if only someone can come up with one that has an LED strobe, an AIS transmitter, and a waterproof sound system with refreshments to reduce anxiety awaiting rescue.
Old 20-01-2013, 15:58   #14

Boat: Able 50

Sounds great ! What colors do they offer ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:16   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

I'm not sure on a Mom and Pop cruising boat that a MOB pole is very useful. The effort and time used to launch one is probably counter to getting the boat stopped and turned around quickly. On a crewed race boat, you have enough people to handle getting the boat stopped, turned around and the pole launched. On a newly singled handed boat, throwing a cushion over, hitting MOB on the chartploter or instruments and getting the boat stopped is more than enough.

Tags
mob