Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 16:35   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Is my sail too tall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
From the same web page as the above photo.

The text says "A Profurl Furler Where the Sail does not Have Enough Hoist."

It seems like the OP's sail is not tall enough.

I replaced my Profurl with a harken and my sail was too short. So I added a strop at the head of the sail so the roller head unit went to the correct height. The OP should do the same.
In the OP's situation with the tack shown in an earlier post as hard down against the drum, I'd put the strop on the tack.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 17:15   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
In the OP's situation with the tack shown in an earlier post as hard down against the drum, I'd put the strop on the tack.
Me too, I always want a pendent on the bottom anyway for blu water work. But IIRC the OP's bowline at the halyard is almost "to block".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 17:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I climbed the mast again this evening to take some photos. Unfortunately my camera focused on the background instead of the foreground, but I did take a snapshot from my GoPro that shows the basic situation up top, as well as the untwist in the stay.
I don't remember the exposed wire on my Profurl. I think you need to sort out your Profurl installation. There are plenty of photos how the unit should look at the top.
I suspect you need a longer extrusion somewhere. Are any shorter? Did someone buy a used Profurl and try to adapt it?
Once you have the unit figured out, then you may need a sail modification. Surprised your sailmaker didnt see these issues. But then they didn't likely go up the mast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 17:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Been there, done that, not a good solution.....

With the strop a the tack, the tack of the sail is pulled away from the forestay when the sail is sheeted in hard which can cause damage to the sail where it enters the forestay track.

I had to use some dynema line around the forestay and through the tack to prevent it pulling away. I recently had the sail a the sailmakers and whilst there got them to add a permanent strop to the head

Tags
sail