Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Is my sail too tall?

I just had a new 135% Genoa measured, made, and delivered. I hoisted it onto my roller furling the other day, and gave it a little sea trial yesterday.

I know next to nothing about sails, so I'm wondering if someone could provide some insight into whether the sail has been properly cut. What concerns me is that I have the traveller/car that hoists the sail topped out. I would have though there should be some space left at the top for tensioning purposes. Is this not the case?

I've also noticed the forestay is a little floppy, perhaps the backstay needs to be tightened (it too, is pretty floppy).
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:19   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Is my sail too tall?

A picture? A picture? Perhaps?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37   #3

Definitely start with tensioning your rig properly.

If you think about it, it the front stay is "floppy", it makes sense that the backstay is, too. Tighten one, and the other tightens up, right?

It's a matter of deciding whether the forestay, backstay, or both need to be adjusted. Which option you choose should be based on the position or "rake" of your mast.

If you're not familiar with adjusting your standing rigging, it might make sense to hire it done (the entire rig) and have it right. Then, you can properly evaluate the size/cut of the sail.

Seems like hiring it out to a good pro, soon, would be a good idea so IF the sail was measured wrong, you don't want to let too much time go by before seeking a solution from your sailmaker. If they did the measuring, things should be simpler if it's not right.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

from your description it sounds like the luff is too long for your current hardware.

I presume you have the tack directly shackled to a roller furler drum - is it a longish shackle - could you use a shorter shackle (or short lashing)? And I guess there is not a grommet or other similar fitting there for a Cunningham type tackle to tension the luff (which would be rare but not completely unheard of on a headsail)?

When you say it is topping out at the top - is your foil short - eg is there a bunch of distance between the top of the foil and the top of the stay? Sail maker might have measured to top of stay rather than top of foil. You can usually get foil extenders to close that gap if that is the case.

pictures of the bottom and the top, when hoisted would be useful, both here and when talking to your sail maker.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:08   #5

Thanks for the responses.

I will take pictures today and post them this evening -- obviously my access to internet isn't the greatest right now.

I did tighten up the backstay yesterday, and the forestay is definitely less floppy now. The mast rake looks okay to me, but I'm no rigger. I also have an adjustable (split) back stay, so I can play with it a little next time I'm out.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:32   #6

It is just not possible for anyone here to diagnose your rig even with pics. I bet there are several good riggers around your area. Pay one to come out and give you an hour long lesson in tuning your rig while he does it. It will be worth the money.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:44   #7

Contact the sailmaker, it sounds like the luff was made too long, but he should come out and show you why not if he has a reason. Your logic is good. You need room to tension the luff. I assume you haven't adjusted the rig since he measured.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 14:35   #8

I did contact the sailmaker, but after I took some photos and examined them, I told him to disregard, as I believe the luff is the proper length now, though I'm still not 100% confident.

I took the boat for another sail today and noticed horizontal wrinkles/creases near the luff. So perhaps it's not tensioned enough?

I've attach a few photos that might provide some insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9971.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	149244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9974.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	149245  

Name:	IMG_9975.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	149246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170605_144552.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	149247  

Old 05-06-2017, 16:51   #9

Boat: Mashford Claris

Remove shackle from top tie rope direct to ring ensure sail is tensioned in track before furling
takeabow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 17:02   #10

Boat: GibSea 472

Racing sails are often cut with the idea to occupy all the luff space avalable. But the sails are not made of dacron (that tend to creep a bit), but more likely of mylar, kevlar or carbon fibers, since these materials don't stetch at all. Looking at the pictures, I think that your sail may fit now, but later on it will stretch a bit, and then ...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 17:06   #11

You may get there without the shackle, but it looks marginal to me. At first look it looks like lots of room, but it also looks (fuzzy) that the knot is up against the wrap stop (black thing), and with the long Profurl tang up there,... not sure. Just removing the shackle probably wont get you enough room to tension it properly. AND The sail will stretch some over time also. You need more room.

Old 05-06-2017, 17:09   #12

Wait... that SS tang on the Profurl is supposed to slide over/above the black wrap stop.... something amiss with your setup I think....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	210.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	149253  

Old 05-06-2017, 17:17   #13

Boat: Cal 33-2

Pic of sail flying looks pretty good. Pic of drum shows the shackle vertical so I suspect it has some tension along the luff. You don't need much luff tension with a furler as the extrusions support it. Next time you are sailing, check to see if there is any slack at the bottom of sail luff at the drum. If it's snug your are OK.
Old 05-06-2017, 18:37   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looks just fine.

If anything, you are a couple inches short on the luff.

yea, that halyard bowline on the shackle on the upper swivel is not totally optimal. But it will do the job.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 18:54   #15

Horizontal wrinkles at the luff are a good sign of insufficient luff tension.
Cheechako's picture seems to provide at least a partial answer, but there looks to be very little space between the halyard sheave and the knot. One way to get the head of the sail higher might be to hoist the sail without securing the tack. When you have the head as high as it will go, pull down the tack using a lanyard. But there will still be a problem when the sail ages and stretches. it may need a cunningham.

If it were me I would talk to the sailmaker. Did he take the luff length from an existing sail? Is the new sail the same length as the old one? Does the old one fit properly? etc, etc.
Good luck,
Let us know what happens,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail