Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 09:50   #1

Inspecting a vinyl wrapped hull?

I recently purchased a boat that has vinyl wrapping on the hull. I would like to get the hull inspected, but hull cleaning services say inspecting a vinyl wrapped hull would not be possible underwater. I don't know how to move the boat since I have no experience sailing so I can't have it hauled out. Are there any options or am I out of luck?

I know it's a bad decision to buy a boat that wasn't inspected and without knowing anything about sailing, but bad and stupid decisions are my specialty.
TheNomadicAspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:14   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Inspecting a vinyl wrapped hull?

You mean the boat is wrapped below the waterline ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:46   #3

I'm not sure because I can't see below the waterline. Is it normally only wrapped above the waterline? If so that would make things easier.
TheNomadicAspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:56   #4

Boat: 29 ft

Hauling the boat when changing owners and doing inspections of through hulls, shaft seal etc. is generally a good idea. Some checks on hull condition should be possible also, like tapping for delaminations, visual inspection of hull keel joint, checking the rudder and shaft bearings ... Checking and if needed redoing antifouling at the same time. How far is it to your nearest boatyard or slip? You know, there are people you could ask to help with the transfer to the slip: Sailing teachers, delivery skippers, the boatyard operating the slip, ... .
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:22   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

There are wraps that go below the waterline and ones that go above. Usually they are two different materials.

The one below is usually a silicon type that is supposed to be so smooth that growth has trouble adhering to it. The one above is more like a car wrap.

Sooner or later your going to have to move it, if it has a motor you don't need to sail it.

Tags
hull