Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 16:30   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: How to be a boat owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IMO, learning to not need to call for help is a better idea.

Again IMO, encouraging folks who are primarily looking for a cheap lifestyle is bad for everyone: the newbie, their neighbors (both afloat and ashore), the cruising community, and the environment.

Jim
I hear you and agree, however we can’t ascertain what the primary reason the poster is wanting to achieve from his short inquiry. Yes, he is looking for something cheap, but we really don’t know what his budget is. I think from all of the replies, he is getting a bit of a reality check. But I hate to discourage someone from taking up the boating life if that is what is really drawing them. However, if he just wants to stay warm in a tropical setting, there is a lot cheaper ways of doing it. Airbnb would be his friend.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 18:09   #17
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Quote:
I am tempted to buy an older boat and live aboard or cruise close to the coast following the weather. I have read about people having no boating experience buying boats and going on a long voyage right after learning along the way, etc. I have a few questions.
Just a few thoughts on this. Everyone on this thread has given you good advice. But they kind of glossed over the costs of doing this. There's an old saying in the boating world, "there's no such thing as a free boat" and that extends to "a cheap boat" I know first hand. Even though I have been around boats and owned boats all my life (I'm 76), am a retired Coast Guard Officer and engineer, and should know better. I fell into that trap. About 13 years ago I bought a trailer for 400 bucks that had an old boat on it and I knew it was a derelict. But when I saw it I got that fever that afflicts those of us who love boats. It's an 18 foot runabout. My free boat cost over $6000 to make it usable. Since then I have had to put a new engine (new to me, old to the seller) in it and now it needs a new sterndrive. after 13 years I'm still working on it. But considering it's a 1972 model, not too bad. If you get an old boat It's going to cost you thousands to bring it up to usable condition, unless you don't cheap out and buy one someone else has already rebuilt and refitted. A good friend of mine just got himself an old 41 foot cruiser. And he too has been a boat owner most of his life. He doesn't plan to live on it but his daughter is living on it, and first off he discovered the windows all leak. And I'm sure that's not all he'll find. And he didn't cheap out, he paid good money for it. At least it runs and the hull doesn't leak, (he's gone from Florida to Maryland in it) So it is doable, but it's going to cost a lot more in money and your valuable time than you think.
Old 11-10-2021, 18:11   #18

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:

Again IMO, encouraging folks who are primarily looking for a cheap lifestyle is bad for everyone: the newbie, their neighbors (both afloat and ashore), the cruising community, and the environment.

Jim

Both good points. But as I read the OP, sounds like he is interested in actually sailing and was just asking about where a boat can be kept for minimum cost, as opposed to only living on the cheap. So I'd encourage him to go with the formal sailing instruction before jumping into a boat purchase. Good way to get some time on the water while learning at the same time.

My advice, start small. Perhaps the first boat should not be intended to be a liveaboard, but big enough for overnights, anchoring, some daysailing on the ocean. 24' to 29' max, with the bare minimum of gear needed, keep it low cost to start. Do that for a few years. If you love that and want to live on the water and can afford it, then you'll have a lot more knowledge to avoid a bad choice of the bigger liveaboard boat.
Old 11-10-2021, 21:10   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Jim
I agree, too many people looking for a cheap way to live, and they can't keep the boat up, they can't afford medical care, etc etc. I don't think we should encourage them. It's gonna be tough.
Old 11-10-2021, 21:31   #20

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak08820 View Post
Is it legal to (own and) operate a boat without any formal boating qualification? How do those people with no experience/qualifications do that?
Sailing is intuitive for many people and it does not always take lots of time or training. That said; necessary actions like reefing need to be learned. Good seamanship is 90% preparation.
Just because someone else survived and funded his sailing by writing a book about his adventure does not mean that is the way to go.

People who are under-funded will find normal vessel upkeep beyond their means. Every area has different rules about anchoring. We can usually anchor overnight. Or we can stay a few days in an anchorage. Most areas do not allow long-term anchoring because the anchorages fill with nearly derelict vessels that find it almost impossible to travel to the nearest pump-out.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 22:11   #21

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
And, at least a handheld VHF radio, and learn to call for help.
I saw a bay full of boats, probably 80 power boats in sight, and only two sailboats answered a call by the Coast Guard to respond to a Pan-Pan. (We rescued the vessel an hour later.) I would not rely on any help from others except in the most dire of circumstances.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 22:24   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I hope the tone here has not discouraged the OP if he was interested in the cruising lifestyle vs. living on the hook for free. I offered some positive actions to begin the sailing life that did not involve a large initial investment.

To me the majority of posts here sounded like folks speaking as members of some exclusive club to which membership requires large sums of money. You do speak the truth, but offer little encouragement. I hope the OP and other 'newbies' interested in the cruising life would take your well intended advice as a challenge rather than as discouragement.
Old 11-10-2021, 23:58   #23

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

If you’re truly attracted to boats- how not to be a boat owner is the bigger problem, I find....
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 00:24   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I am tempted to buy an older boat and live aboard or cruise close to the coast following the weather. I have read about people having no boating experience buying boats and going on a long voyage right after learning along the way, etc. I have a few questions.

Welcome to CF.
The answer to your Thread Title question is: "Very Carefully"

Become self reliant in learning basic knowledge
Do your own basic research first, then if you find discrepancies or vagueness in the answers ..seek specific clarification via Forums.

The more we see a new boater putting effort into asking well researched questions, the more serious we take them
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 07:42   #25

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I have to admit, the thought of a license for most boating weirds me out. I learned to sail before I could ride a bike. Should people learn some basics before going out the first time? Sure. But an actual requirement goes against the freedom that is life afloat. You don't have to memorize Chapman's, it is all useful information, but learning as you go is part of the fun. Setting barriers to entry beyond the cost of the boat would be a bad thing in almost every case. I'm annoyed enough that I have to register my dinghy.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 08:04   #26

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
.......... Is it legal to (own and) operate a boat without any formal boating qualification? How do those people with no experience/qualifications do that?..........
Where are you planning to own and operate a boat? If in the US, most if not all states require a Boater's Card, which required you to take a class on boating safety and pass an exam. As long as the class you take is offered by approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) then your license can take you to the waters of any of the 50 states.

https://outdoortroop.com/do-you-need...all-50-states/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 08:20   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

If you are going to buy an older boat, you had better be prepared to do the repairs / restoration yourself.

Unless you have unlimited funds and patience.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:18   #28

Quote:

1. Is it legal to (own and) operate a boat without any formal boating qualification? How do those people with no experience/qualifications do that?

2. Is it possible to anchor a boat in any public waterbody, so that no rental costs are involved? Does anyone do this in the Central NJ area? Would love to get advice about this area.

Thanks
Sounds like our story!! Very excited for you.

You don’t need boating experience to legally own or operate a boat (as far as I’m aware). In CA you need to get their water “license” which is actually a fantastic way to be forced to go through the rules of the water. We purchased our 1976 sailboat without any personally and with the intention to live aboard and cruise in the future.

You will most definitely want to start gaining experience ASAP in order to understand your limits, learn what is/isn’t safe etc etc. If you’re okay putting the boat in a slip for a bit, we were amazed by how quickly we made friends with sailors and had more opportunities than we could imagine to jump aboard & start getting our sea legs and education going. There are also the ASA courses if you want to get a jump on it.

I’d definitely recommend the book Get Real Get Gone by Rick Page - was super helpful for us when we’re at your point in time.

If you want tips on how to anchor for free in San Diego, I can be much more of use
SailMihaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 09:55   #29

No boater training some places, some, like Maryland require you to complete a Safe Boaters course online…You can anchor in any navigable waters provided it’s not a charted restricted area or marked channel (even ok to anchor in a channel if you’re in trouble/broke down). That said, I HIGHLY suggest taking a UVOP (6pk) Captains license course even if you don’t intend to get the actual license. It’s invaluable training to safely navigate & chart your voyages. In practice, locating a suitable anchorage, and managing your ground tackle takes a lot of trial & error experience.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:46   #30

I did it. Bought a small (35 ft) sailing yacht and went from the middle of Germany to the Mediterranean sea (over the rivers and canals) four years ago. Live on board since then. Had never sailed before. Had no idea about any electrical stuff (worked as a lawyer in my former life). All learning by doing. Best decision in my life. If you really want it, you will manage - your thoughts and feelings create your reality, nothing else.
kiruli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat