Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2010, 14:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
'Hold Fast' or 'Go Now, Go Young'

The following puts a new slant of "Go Now, Go Young, Go Cheap: "Hold Fast" . It takes awhile to watch but it is interesting.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 14:39   #2

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
damnit hylyte i have 2 midterms to study for tommorrow, there goes another hour+ of my time... thanks for the link!!!!!
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 16:48   #3

Very interesting documetary which shows there are lot's of ways one can cruise. Looks like they learned a lot along the way too. Wonder where I could find three woman (sometimes not wearing pants) like that to cruise with. Still, there are some things that are glossed over or not mentioned that I would like to know unless I missed them.

1) Was the boat ever registered in the U.S. and did they check in when they got to the Bahamas? Being a member of the "Anarchist Yacht Club" I would have doubted it. Were they just lucky they did not run into the authorities asking questions?

2) Seems they did not spend the entire time on the boat. But, put it in storage and came back sometime later to continue the cruise. Why?

3) Looks like they abandoned the cruising life after the second trip. Which happens often with those who head off to "live their dream" Fellow finally left to head back to San Franciso. Maybe the all woman crew was not such a good idea after after all. Or was the cruising life harder than they thought it would be. Even if you are an anarchist.

Still I enjoyed their journey such as it was.
Old 19-10-2010, 04:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Pestilence is standing by in the Dominican Republic, while Kirsten is building a house, Allie is living in the woods, and Lisa is harvesting syrup.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 06:59   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch
Thanks for posting this HyLyte. Kind of makes me wonder what I'm still doing on land. Hmmmmm.
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 07:19   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I don't have the GBs to watch video

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 08:19   #7

Boat: 1977 Cal 2-29 #891
mbianca:

1> the boat was us registered and checked into the bahamas
2> i think most people on here sail for some time, go away from the boat, and come back. busy lives we have...
3> ive sailed with some of them, so still sailing. i don't think it has to do with cruising being 'too hard' or anything, it's just mostly trying to do a lot with your time and not all of the things you're doing lining up with cruising. i love cruising and sailing, but with the other things im doing i only sail for around 6 or so months of the year. if i could do all the things i wanted to on a boat, i probably would...

all the sailing trips save one ive done have been with at least one female crew. i think it's kinda moot point, since gender doesn't make you more or less capable. it's nice to see examples of different demographics in sailing.

it's sailors like this who made me realize i can start sailing, that it's not inaccessible to people without lots of money as long as you're creative.

there are more sailing and other stories here:
Moxie Marlinspike >> Thoughtcrime Labs
Old 19-10-2010, 08:24   #8

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
I had a problem with them squatting on that power boat and busting its davit.....sailors have to be respectful of other sailors and their equipment.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 09:05   #9

Thanks for the link. It is the first thing that ever made me want to be 20-something again. Those are four people on whom youth was not wasted. Moxie has a big web presence and I enjoy his other stories too.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 10:49   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The following puts a new slant of "Go Now, Go Young, Go Cheap: "Hold Fast" . It takes awhile to watch but it is interesting.
Marc and I enjoyed watching this more than any of the high budget movies we have seen recently. Absolutely brilliant! I wish I'd had the gumph!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 11:04   #11

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Moxie is a natural Narrator..a little to colorful for me now and then but a natural non the less.

Looks like they had a blast.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:34   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: 'Hold Fast' or 'Go Now, Go Young'

Reviving this old thread to add this on Moxie Marlinspike. Fascinating character.

Moxie Marlinspike: The Coder Who Encrypted Your Texts - WSJ

SAN FRANCISCO—In the past decade, Moxie Marlinspike has squatted on an abandoned island, toured the U.S. by hopping trains, he says, and earned the enmity of government officials for writing software.
Mr. Marlinspike created an encryption program that scrambles messages until they reach the intended reader. It’s so simple that Facebook Inc.’s WhatsApp made it a standard feature for many of the app’s 800 million users.
The software is effective enough to alarm governments. Earlier this year, shortly after WhatsApp adopted it, British Prime Minister David Cameron called protected-messaging apps a “safe space” for terrorists. The following week, President Barack Obama called them “a problem.”
That makes the lanky, dreadlocked and intensely private coder a central figure in an escalating debate about government and commercial surveillance. In a research paper released Tuesday, 15 prominent technologists cited three programs relying on Mr. Marlinspike’s code as options for shielding communications.
His encrypted texting and calling app, Signal, has come up in White House meetings, says an attendee. Speaking via video link last year as part of a panel on surveillance, former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, who leaked troves of U.S. spying secrets, urged listeners to use “anything” that Mr. Marlinspike releases. . . .

[there's much more at the link]
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote