Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 17:52   #1

Hello There

my name is keegan, i would first like to thank you for welcoming me into your community, and secondily i come for your help. i dont know hardly anything about sailboats other than the fact that ive rode on a few before. i would honestly like to build my own sailboat but i have no idea how, is there anywhere i can go to find blueprints for sailboats, or can i go somewhere to learn everything i could possibly ever know about sailboats, how to build one, how to sail, i appologize for all the questions and the ignorance i just really would like to get his underway as soon as possible. once again thank you for all the help. any and all information is greatly appreciated.

thanks
keegan
kkossow251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 20:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: hello there

Hi Keegan,

There are lots of places to get boat plans. For a cruising sailboat try Bruce Roberts.

But I have to ask, why do you want to build a sailboat? If it is to save money it is usually a lot cheaper to buy an older used sailboat than to build one. If you are just interested in the building process then go for it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:12   #3

thanks much for the website, i plan on drawing up my own blueprints just so i can custom build it the way i like, but the site definitely gives me some good ideas and what it requires.

ive never build a sailboat before or any boat for that matter, ive got alot of people on board to help me out, electricians, carpenters, and people who are good with fiber glass. i really dont know its not to save money really just to build something with my own hands and call it ours and have the acknowledged accomlishment that it was us who did and no one else. i know its going to be costly and im alright with that.

thank you for all your help, is there anywhere that describes the legistics of build a sailboat from scratch?

thanks again
keegan
kkossow251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:41   #4

Boat: Kalik30

google for "Reinke Boot" He planned several yachts buildt from alloy - all seaworty and with a lot of good ideas. There is also a book about building a yacht from him, hope it is avaiable in english - worth to buy.
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 04:12   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Hello There

There are several good boat building schools in the USA, one is in Kennebunkport, Maine, and there is another in Port Townsend, WA, and several in different parts of the country with good reputations. It would probably save you a lot of time and headaches, if you were to attend one of these schools. There is an old saying that goes, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." I have learned that is a truism. An alternative would be to buy a hull and complete it yourself, that is plenty challenging.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello There

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Keegan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote