Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 12:54   #16

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Re: Have you ever hated your boat?

Quote:
But she's got a fat stern and if you don't manage her well, she wants to kind of sit on her ass instead
Are you talking about my wife or my boat
Hated wives but used boat to leave so, answer is No.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:02   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

I have never hated either of my boats, but I don't love them either. I do like my boat, which is as good as it is going to get because after all it is a boat!

My dinghy and outboard (that have been pretty good since this time last year) on the aren't on as good of terms with me.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:15   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Have you ever hated your boat?

I hate her on a regular basis.. when she draws blood, traps fingers or throws me across the salon..
But then there are the times of such intense beauty and pleasure that all that's gone before fades from memory..
and love begins anew..

Zues... makes ya wanna puke... bluaaagghhh

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:26   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I look at something and realise that I have to work on that bit. Then I think, sod it, I will sell it and buy another boat. Realisation that I cannot afford that because this one has taken all my money and therefore I have to work on it, now makes me consider hating it. But really I should hate myself for being so damn lazy.After this little burst of energy I shall have to go and lie down now.

Coops.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:37   #20
cruiser

Have we hated any of our boats?

No.... never. We enjoyed every minute on each one of them. Even when things didn't go just right... we wouldn't have traded the time to be doing anything else.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:44   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I hate her on a regular basis.. when she draws blood, traps fingers or throws me across the salon..
But then there are the times of such intense beauty and pleasure that all that's gone before fades from memory..
and love begins anew..

Zues... makes ya wanna puke... bluaaagghhh

It's living on the boat that had me living in a God-made aquarium full of bioluminescence two summers ago. I'm not sure this boat could misbehave enough to make me hate her after that experience.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:54   #22

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Love the boat. The lack of comfortable seating/reclining areas however, I hated. I am currently in the process of fixing this shortcoming.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 14:07   #23

Given all of the neglected ugly boats that never leave their marina spots around here I'd bet there are a lot of folks that hate or are ambivalent about their boats. They probably don't frequent CF though. I dont think hate is the right word but I would never own the Catalina 30 we learned, nor the Catalina 27 we are currently "sharing" time on.

Please let us know how you think of your Dana over the summer though OP. Curious because folks who own them seem to be almost cultish in their love for them and I've found it hard to find much resembling an objective opinion.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 14:45   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Never quite hate! but Ive been highly pissed off at her a time or two!! For many of the reasons posted above ! bloodie bent fingers and toes, lost eyebrows and some beard due to the boat and my own stupidity ! ya know, just the things that make ya scream ***** and such when they happen !! Hard to hate something that lets ya smile when the sun rises or sets, or when the wind stays steady and lets ya rest and relax! ya know all the reasons we put up with all the things others ask us about ! like " how can you live with so little room" or are you every bored ? ahh, theres just no hate left when I can smile in the mornings! just my 2 cents
Old 09-05-2013, 15:01   #25

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
I haven't ever hated my boats, but I've been pretty honest about some weaknesses. Overall, my boat symbolizes freedom for me, and even passage planning and driving the 7 hours to the coast allows me to check out of my non-stop farm management job and not think about work all the time. I guess I've come to realize how much my boat - or at least traveling by water- makes my life complete. I can't really imagine life without it, which is why I've made so many sacrifices financially to keep it all up.

I understand where you're coming from, but I guess my expectations are modest and I do have the exact boat I want, configured exactly how I want it, and I really don't expect to want another boat for a very long time.

Enjoy your Dana!
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 15:19   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Makes me wonder if my boat has ever hated me...
Old 09-05-2013, 15:52   #27

I'm with Captain Bill. I love and hate my boat at different times during the day. When in a bad mood and I keep hitting my head, hips, shins, I despise her and cuss at her. But when I calm down and wash her down, I fall in love with her all over again.. Until she hurts me again, then the cycle continues...LOL
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:01   #28

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

The secret to happiness is the ability to love the boat that you have.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:24   #29

Boat: Fortune 30

I love Sanctioned Mistress, but not everything about her. She's old, needs some TLC in certain areas, a bit slower than I would like, needs a new paint job on the hull, and has some minor wiring issues and a mildew problem every spring. However, she's turn key ready to go out sailing in almost any weather, safe, comfortable, a boat I trust on the water to keep me safe, and easy to single-hand. Then there are the compromises; I love the look of the clipper bow and it helps keep the deck dry in moderate to heavy chop, but it also blows down hard when anchoring or docking in high winds. The aft cabin is great for storage or the extra person or two on a hunting trip, but is cramped and has no ventilation to the main cabin (and thus no heat). Ultimately, I still love her because she was the one I chose to purchase and with a bit of the elbow grease and money I hope to put in to her, she should provide my family with a great sailboat for many years. Unless we happen to win the big one and can upgrade to a bigger, better (not necessarily newer-I love the classics) boat.
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:28   #30

No, never, but then again maybe it's because it's a Cape Dory, haha. Like your Dana, you'll love it. I can understand hating the Hunter 34 as I have chartered one and it was not a pleasant ride.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote