Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 18:04   #121

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Girl Killed by 3 Sharks in Bahamas

Just popped up in my Utube suggestions, seems pretty relevant...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 18:22   #122

Boat: Valiant 42

I did not see it but Stuart Cove (famous dive shop operator near Nassau) got bit by a shark whilst filming something for a nature program. It was maybe 15 years ago or thereabouts. Quite a few of the shark dive feeders get bit. But that’s a completely unnatural set of conditions.

The ocean is not like Jaws...

I am really sorry for this poor girl and her family and friends. Her parents apparently saw the attack. What a terrible thing to carry through life. I cannot imagine their grief.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 18:45   #123

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I did not see it but Stuart Cove (famous dive shop operator near Nassau) got bit by a shark whilst filming something for a nature program. It was maybe 15 years ago or thereabouts. Quite a few of the shark dive feeders get bit. But that’s a completely unnatural set of conditions.

The ocean is not like Jaws...

I am really sorry for this poor girl and her family and friends. Her parents apparently saw the attack. What a terrible thing to carry through life. I cannot imagine their grief.

Dan,
You are obviously a very experienced diver. Would you care to describe your vision of sharks based on your past experience? Is experience necessary or would those new to the ocean be as safe as an experienced diver? You see I have used the word "experience" quite often. What is your belief? Thanks, Rognvald
Old 02-07-2019, 04:00   #124

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Dan,

You are obviously a very experienced diver. Would you care to describe your vision of sharks based on your past experience? Is experience necessary or would those new to the ocean be as safe as an experienced diver? You see I have used the word "experience" quite often. What is your belief? Thanks, Rognvald
Sharks, like people, have many different characteristics. There are some locations where I would not dive because of sharks such as where boats chum great whites, bulls or certain tiger sharks. Sharks at the surface act much differently than at depth. Sharks seldom are interested in divers. Most of the time they remain hidden from divers. Even though the shark sees the diver, the diver often does not see the shark.

Sharks are necessary in the ocean especially near reefs where most of us like to cruise. They keep the water free of dead or dying fish and generally improve the gene pool around the reefs and sandy places. Indiscriminate killing of sharks out of fear or for virility potions is stupid. The potions are useless.

Inexperienced divers come in all types. Some can’t wait to see sharks and others have huge fears and hope to never see one. Fear and over confidence are both best dealt with by educating oneself about sharks.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:43   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
... Fear and over confidence are both best dealt with by educating oneself about sharks.
Indeed. Competence should trump perception. It would be kind of nice, if one builds one's confidence on genuine competence.

Despite the fact that fear and overconfidence are two sides of the same spectrum, an individual can fall prey to both of them from time to time. Both can become self-fulfilling prophesies.

Two fascinating recent studies; one on confidence; the other exploring social fears; reveal how our own positive and negative stances work to alter our relationships and careers.

The first study [1], published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, explored the positive effects of overconfidence, showing that it enhances social status by presenting a false image of competence. If you’ve ever wondered how the utterly clueless rise to the top, or why managers often seem to make worse decisions than dart-throwing bonobos, this research provides some insight. In a series of six experiments, researchers led by Cameron Anderson at the University of California, Berkeley, showed that when you think you’re better than you are at certain tasks, people tend to believe you. In groups, people are easily persuaded by others’ confidence, even if it’s unjustified.
“A status-enhancement account of overconfidence.” ~ by Anderson C. Et al.
[1] ➥ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22800286

The second study [2], published in Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, looked at the flip side of confidence — paranoia — and how people’s negative perceptions of the world can become their own self-fulfilling prophecies. The authors, led by Jennifer Carson Marr of the London Business School in England, found that people’s fears about being viewed negatively by others actually influenced those views themselves.
“Do I want to know? How the motivation to acquire relationship-threatening information in groups contributes to paranoid thought, suspicion behavior, and social rejection.” ~ by Jennifer CarsonMarr et al.
[2] ➥ https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...49597811001300

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54   #126

Boat: Catalina C400 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
This is such an ignorant comment on so many different levels I don't even know where to begin.

Not at all an ignorant comment, and given the circumstances of this particular attack it is a very feasible explanation.

Gary
cygnussailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
This is such an ignorant comment on so many different levels I don't even know where to begin.
How is it ignorant?

It’s actually perfectly logical and most likely 100% correct. Should we censor it because it triggers some peoples’ sensitivities? Is this North Korea?

The vast majority of shark bites go unreported. Apparently the tourist lobby has some pull. But I’m sure you’d see some alarming statistics if honest reporting existed.

As a life long fisherman I’ll tell you one thing, if there’s blood in the water, even in minuscule amounts, sharks go nutz! Those who spread the false meme that ocean swimming on your period is safe are, in my opinion, guilty of attempted murder. But that’s just my opinion so don’t get triggered.

Be safe out there. Anyone can win the lottery.
refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:28   #128

I know the area well where she was attacked. I’ve also seen a brief video showing one of the sharks - shot from above water - believed to be responsible for the attack. I don’t believe it (they) were tigers, but were bulls. From what I’ve heard it was a vicious rapid attack by 3 sharks which also makes me think they were bulls plus it’s early in their mating season when they are known to be more erratic and aggressive. Tigers are a slower moving critter verses the bull and normally don’t travel in a pack ... which bulls can do. The saddest part is that this young lady was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Every time we enter the water we sacrifice our land based apex predator rating to explore our planet’s extraordinary undersea world. As a diver I’ve spent over 6,000 hours underwater exploring some of our planet’s most isolated and magnificent spots. I’m always aware of what’s swimming around me and how I fit into their food chain. Luckily I’ve not found myself facing 3 hungry and aggressive bulls, but if I did I wouldn’t take my eyes off of them and would exit the zone and water as quickly as I could! Either way my heart goes out to the young lady’s family.

Capt. David
flamingobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:03   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystktravler View Post
Agreed! Look up A$$ in the dictionary you’ll find a picture of him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refuge View Post
How is it ignorant?

It’s actually perfectly logical and most likely 100% correct. Should we censor it because it triggers some peoples’ sensitivities? Is this North Korea?

The vast majority of shark bites go unreported. Apparently the tourist lobby has some pull. But I’m sure you’d see some alarming statistics if honest reporting existed.

As a life long fisherman I’ll tell you one thing, if there’s blood in the water, even in minuscule amounts, sharks go nutz! Those who spread the false meme that ocean swimming on your period is safe are, in my opinion, guilty of attempted murder. But that’s just my opinion so don’t get triggered.

Be safe out there. Anyone can win the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnussailor View Post
Not at all an ignorant comment, and given the circumstances of this particular attack it is a very feasible explanation.

Gary

To be clear I claim no expertise in this field but I am interested in the truth (or the closest approximation to it we can get) so I did go looking for expertise and came across a number of comments and observations from Dr. Tricia L. Meredith and Dr Stephen Kajiura both of Florida Atlantic University, whose expertise is in sensory biology of sharks.

It seems they would support Discovery15797’s view, although I’m sure they would use more measured and less inflammatory language.

Between the two of them they have over 80 peer reviewed publications that have garnered hundreds of citations in peer reviewed publications. So they are offering informed opinions. Their judgement has been validate by peer review and worthy of quoting by other experts in the field.

To the extent that Dr.s Meredith and Kajiura are mistaken it would be great to have that evidence presented.

To make a more useful contribution other than derogatory remarks perhaps you could share your personal expertise and credentials along with links to your research in the area. If this is not your field but you can introduce credible citations to support your views that would be very helpful. It would distinguish you from those that are merely expressing strongly held but poorly informed opinions.

Despite my slightly sarcastic tone I would genuinely be interested in any robust information on the topic.

As I said above, I have no expertise. I am interested in learning. What expertise I found had a clear view (expressed with varying range of conviction). As others have observed, experts aren’t always right, but generally I find them more informative than the merely opinionated.

I’d find it very informative to see contradictory evidence.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:07   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I was under the impression that most sharks in shallow Bahamian waters were reef sharks.

I've never bought into the belief that reef sharks are completely harmless so would be interested to know what sharks did this.

I've dove with dozens of reef sharks swimming about in French Polynesia....black tip, white tip, grays.....Harmless they say. Personally, I think any creature with a prehistoric brain and TEETH is a potential risk.
You might be interested in googling Tiger Beach.Scuba divers in 10 metres with Tiger Sharks.
gerrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:34   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capt. David & gerrym.

In adition to the good Doctors, just cited, The International Shark Attack File (ISAF) at the Florida Museum of Natural History (University of Florida @ Gainsville) is the world’s only scientifically documented, comprehensive database of all known shark attacks. Initiated in 1958, there are now more than 6,200 individual investigations covering the period from the early 1500s to the present.
See ➥ https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/sharks/people/

The Florida Program for Shark Research (FPSR) (which hosts the ISAF), directed by Dr. Gavin Naylor and staffed by a team of research scientists and educators, includes the Chondrichthyan Tree of Life Project the International Sawfish Encounter Database (ISED) and hosts the preeminent website focusing on shark research, biodiversity and conservation.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:36   #132

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The consensus among marine biologists and scuba divers is that menstruation does not increase the risk of a shark attack.

In the Abacos, in the very first day on my 3 months cruising, I was not aware of the danger to through fish remains in the bay. It tooks only 2 minutes for a Bull shark to be under the cat for them. They have an infinite good odor detection and I would think that a menstruated woman with "some leaks" would be detectable as much as fish remains. They are programmed for that.

About those saying there is no effect... do they made tests with menstruated women in a cage, repeated 20 times in different sites and on the other side, the same with mid-period women ? Please be scientific !!!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:47   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
In the Abacos, in the very first day on my 3 months cruising, I was not aware of the danger to through fish remains in the bay. It tooks only 2 minutes for a Bull shark to be under the cat for them. They have an infinite good odor detection and I would think that a menstruated woman with "some leaks" would be detectable as much as fish remains. They are programmed for that.

About those saying there is no effect... do they made tests with menstruated women in a cage, repeated 20 times in different sites and on the other side, the same with mid-period women ? Please be scientific !!!

I see you are unwilling or unable to rise to challenge of finding credible support for your opinion.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:54   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym View Post
You might be interested in googling Tiger Beach.Scuba divers in 10 metres with Tiger Sharks.
I already did as referenced by Postt#24.....

I have never heard of Tigers in the Bahamas, are they even in there?
YES!.......https://indopacificimages.com/tiger-...f-the-bahamas/

There is even tiger shark diving near Tiger Beach on Grand Bahama.

More from this morning....blaming tiger sharks......https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jordan-...nusual-attack/

First post I see...Welcome!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:56   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post

Shark behavior expert Ralph S. Collier once tested to see if wild sharks were attracted to menstrual blood and other bodily fluids, but found that the only liquid that elicited a reaction was liquid from the abdominal cavity ― not menstrual blood, according to Mother Jones. However, blood from sharks’ real prey (sea otters or cetacean) did move the sharks into a feeding frenzy, Collier added.

Tags
Bahamas