Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-03-2021, 10:42   #16

Re: Getting worried about taking my ASA 101 exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I still say the words out loud even single handing. Then if I’m on a crew I never have to think about it. All about habits.
My tractor has stickers all over it written by lawyers. However, one of the stickers has stuck with me, "Safety is a habit" it says. This is really true in so many things.

If one does things over and over, they become a habit. This is good as long as one has learned the correct, safe habits. This is bad, if one has not.

I use a chain saw from time to time and it is the most dangerous thing I do. If I listened to the safety people, I would only use the saw another person around in case I have an accident but then I would never get work done.

When running the chainsaw, I wear a helmet, which as a face guard and hearing protection, heavy leather gloves, eye protection, boots, and safety chaps. The chaps are design so that if the chain saw touches them, the chain clogs up and stops. Hopefully before serious injury time.

I wear that safety equipment without fail. No safety equipment, no operating the saw. Just that simple. One day, I was putting on the safety equipment and got side tracked by something. Start to walk off to work the saw but something was not right. The little man on my shoulder was tapping the helmet quite loudly. What was wrong? I actually stopped walking to check things out. I had forgot to put on the safety chaps.

Having formed a safe habit of putting on the safety gear, let my subconscious mind, aka, the little man on my shoulder, know something was not right and he let me know.

Safety is a habit.

We are doing this on the boat we charter. Other people take the boat out, and what we have learned, the hard way sometimes, is that they don't always leave the boat as they found it. Over time, we have added to check list the things to check before leaving the dock. Habit.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa