Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 09:02   #16

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Getting worried about taking my ASA 101 exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
For the cleat hitch, one the instructors gave us this little hint. If you are having a problem with the last loop around the cleat, you have to flip your wrist to get a loop. Think of the wrist flip as a flip to look at a watch. Hard to read, but in person, easy to see.
The trick is the orientation. If the working end is oriented around the cleat ("A" below) you only need that simple twist. If the working end is oriented away from it like in "B" you can't use one simple twist, and that's the part that often threw me off.

For the "B" case you either need to twist it twice, which is going to feel pretty awkward if you're using tough aged twisted dockline, or (better!) turn the working end so it makes a u-shape around the cleat like in A, and then you're back on familiar ground.

requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:13   #17

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
.............Which is making me freak out about the exam...............Anyone have any pointers about the exam that might lower my stress levels?
Take the practice test multiple times until you get 100% passing grade then take the test. You only need 80% passing grade. That is how I do it.

https://cyct.com/wp-content/uploads/...acticeTest.pdf
https://asa.com/quiz/get-started/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:23   #18

Boat: Leopard 45

I don't know of anyone who has failed the ASA 101 test. if you are worried you can take some of the practice tests. it wouldn't hurt for the on the water part of the test to have someone take you out and practice. But I think the on the water part is concluded in the three days of classes and the teacher usually lets you make several attempts at each part of this test (docking, MOB, anchoring etc).
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:27   #19

You can find a free flashcards app for 101, like everyone said it is super easy.

I would practice the knots, as far as sailing I will concentrate on understanding the man overboard procedure as that is the most important part and it was the hardest part for me.

Also the instructor will let you know what questions are on the test and prep you properly.
MikeHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:34   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO410

All good advice above. If you take it and fail, no worries. you know what then to prepare for and then take it again. I also think learning by failure is a good thing as you remember what you need to work on.

Also, I believe you are allowed to ask the instructor for help. Or way back when I did it that was the case.
SVSweetestThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:35   #21

Boat: Pearson 10M

GO SAILING.
The test as a previous poster said is a commercial enterprise, it's a business. go sailing.
You've already paid to take the test and pass. go sailing.
buy a copy of Chapman's. go sailing. Read Chapman's. go sailing.
Just go sailing and don't worry about the test.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
(e.g. THC, 7-up cans are green, etc).............

I've been sailing all my life, and finally something that helps me remember this! Thanks so much.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:02   #23
Marine Service Provider

Roger that Prof. Commercial enterprises, even "schools" are in the business of making money, not pink-slipping their students, so they don't come back and/or they won't tell their friends not to go there in the first place.

You will accumulate enough pink slips by your own actions or nonactions later in life.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:02   #24

Boat: Other people's boats

On the topics of multiple guess tests, here are some tricks to add to the ones DMF Sailing listed:

- If you can't remember the name for something, but you know what it is, the term may have been used in another question.
- Similarly, other questions may contain the answer to your question. Don't try this with T/F questions, only those where the statement is not in doubt.
- Move at a measured pace, neither too fast nor too slow, and read each answer through.[1]
- Your first thought is usually correct: never try to overthink an answer beyond checking for gotchas (e.g. "which of these is NOT true").

As the others said, spacing out your time, mixing in other activity, and getting plenty of sleep will help retention.

[1] If you must skip one, make a mark so you don't miss returning and be careful to make sure the question number and answer number match.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:56   #25

Instructor let us take Cat out for the week prior to completion of the written exam...Got caught off the Marquesas by Tropical storm/hurricane Eta (yes they let us take th e boat out). 65 mile an hour gust dragging anchor, fouled prop. (thank you lobster pot). Trying to reset anchor with one engine in the dark in those winds. Burned out starter. We made it back to the marina the next day. We kind of figured we had passed the practical part of the exam...lol...PS a hacksaw works really well to cut through lobster lines strangled around the prop shaft in 12" visibility and 5-7 foot seas. You'll do fine on the exam..Rather overstudy than understudy
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:13   #26

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

I think I'm just overstressing about the exam. My concern is that I keep choking when pressed for the answer - when this happens I can't think of anything that might answer the question. Nothing at all.

The Cleat Hitch is something I struggle with (I think) because I'm ambidextrous. It's different depending on which hand I use and the direction of the first wrap around the base. The trick to tying it is to have the "free hand" palm up after the second turn around the horn and hook the line around one of your free hand fingers into a 180* loop. Twist the free hand to palm down and drop the loop over the horn. Tighten.

Now try that "backwards". Now change hands. Yeah, hit or miss. At least for me.

Round turn/Rolling hitch. I confuse the names with each other. I can tie both, but I can't remember which one is which. Grrr...

My instructor says I tie my bowlines funny. They're correct, I just do it funny. Grrr #2...

I did figure out how to know which is the stand on/give way vessel with a vocabulary trick and can use that at least. Starboard = Stand on. Windward/Leeward = Windward gives Way. Works in all situations except collisions.

CG required equipment is giving me grief.
"Ready about" is giving me grief. I prefer to use "ready to tack/gybe" because it's more obvious to what I'm going to do and I just can't seem to remember the words "ready about" until after I've been reminded of them. Choke. Again.

There are tons of other things just like those which I can't remember to list right now. On the other hand, yesterday's lesson got my head going again and I think I can move forward instead of being stuck like I was.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:17   #27

Let me add I'd rather sail with someone like yourself that is overly cautious than someone blowing the whole thing off as a gimmie. Being detail oriented may just save you or /and your boat and crew somewhere down the line.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 16:55   #28

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post

The Cleat Hitch is something I struggle with (I think) because I'm ambidextrous. It's different depending on which hand I use and the direction of the first wrap around the base. The trick to tying it is to have the "free hand" palm up after the second turn around the horn and hook the line around one of your free hand fingers into a 180* loop. Twist the free hand to palm down and drop the loop over the horn. Tighten.

Now try that "backwards". Now change hands. Yeah, hit or miss. At least for me.

Round turn/Rolling hitch. I confuse the names with each other. I can tie both, but I can't remember which one is which. Grrr...

My instructor says I tie my bowlines funny. They're correct, I just do it funny. Grrr #2...
On of the best gifts I've ever gotten was this item. I practice all the time, even now. Backwards, forwards, eyes closed. So when you need the knot, you know the knot. Then I have a cup of tea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.53.15 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	234403  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 17:25   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Question from a non-ASA person: Do they really get on your case if you say something other than "ready about" before tacking?

Good grief!

Jim
Old 12-03-2021, 18:35   #30

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Question from a non-ASA person: Do they really get on your case if you say something other than "ready about" before tacking?

Good grief!

Jim
Good grief is right. Yeah, 50 years ago I was taught "Ready about/hard-a-lee."

Most normal people in this country now say "Ok, let's tack....Tacking"

Including the dozen ASA testers/instructors I know.

Jibing, on the other hand, I always tell people "Prepare to jibe"

Then "Jibing," and, when novices are aboard, added terse instructions about where to put their heads

But in Rob's case, if there's an extra on-the-water test, that can be personalized. Maybe part of the test is saying that right. That depends on the school. I never took an ASA 101 water test, but the club did want me to show that I wouldn't wreck their boat. That involved a lot of thing-overboard drills, taking down sails underway, and landing on moorings in all sorts of conditions. Nobody gave a darn what I said when I did it.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa