Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2023, 16:25   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
French Canal Depths?

Greetings:

My wife and I are in planning stages of purchasing a sailboat in Europe, with part of the planned trip being through the French Canal system, top to bottom. Mast off of course.

Boat draft; of course I Googled it, easy to find all the numbers, but in this changing world things change.

So--what is DEEPEST draft boat one should consider for this passage? We will stay on the main line canals, not venture out into the minor branches.

Especially interested in anyone who has actually taken a keeled boat through this area in the last few years.

Thank you.

David
Seattle
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 22:29   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: French Canal Depths?

Varies with season and from year to year. Find an atlas of the French canals. It’ll have advice probably. You’ll want the atlas anyway so get it early for planning.
Probably need to learn some French to use it effectively.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 23:08   #3

I had the same idea about ten years ago. Some said 160 cm, others 140 cm. You will also have to take off your mast.

It was a no go for me.
Gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 04:32   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Canals are not all the same. Just do your homework and then ask questions about specific hotels.
Old 13-02-2023, 06:38   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

https://bookoutlet.com/products/9781...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Cana...a-492637293721

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/cruisi...dition=5372484

https://www.french-waterways.com/res...oks-downloads/

https://www.boatsnews.com/story/4130...ways-of-france
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 06:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: French Canal Depths?

I would suggest you look at centreboard/swing keel boats for this venture, things like the Southerly range if you want GRP.. . https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/s...or-sale/714613

For steel and aluminium look in Holland where there's some real beauties.. https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/p...or-sale/624718

https://yachts.apolloduck.com/boat/s...or-sale/711969

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 07:24   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post

Especially interested in anyone who has actually taken a keeled boat through this area in the last few years.

Thank you.

David
Seattle
Check below, this couple did it on a Vindo 30, well documented

SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 07:33   #8

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Again….

I am not really asking for more links to data. I can Google all day and get all the numbers…

I am asking if anyone has actually transited the country via the canals in a keeled boat in the last year or 2 and can comment directly with actual experience on actual depths. We will use that info in searching for out boat.

Thank you

David
Seattle
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 08:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

To many variables, boats have gone aground and had to be craned onto a transporter when they thought they were 'safe', things vary year to year, drought, is dredging up to date..
Also remember that your boats draught will be at least 2.5% more in fresh water, plus all you loaded on board.
Will your mast and rigging be transported to the Med or on deck.. one reason I recommended a centreboard boat.
Seeing as the lowest depths are 1.20m I would suggest you work on <1.10metre to be on the safe side.
For updated info contact the French canal authorities, not an American cruising site where French canal cruising is a 0.00000001 particpation factor.
One more link..
https://www.french-waterways.com/pra.../canal-depths/

Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 15-02-2023, 04:01   #10

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431
French Canal Depths?

Done it years ago with our previous boat, a 35 footer with a draught of 1,8m. Started in the Med from Sete, ended in Lubeck at the Baltic Sea. Used the most quickest and obvious route. It was spring time and the water flow in the river in Fraance was 6 knots against us at best. So the SOG was only 1,5knots while we were doing 7,5 knots trough the water. Our engine, a Volvo 2003 turbo, produced 48hp, it was just enough with a Volvo three blade folding prop. What I’m saying is that You need an engine powerful enough if doing the trip early spring. We hit the bottom several times and had some serious troubles getting forward. And the water level then was highish during the spring time according to the locals! It would not been a success without this powerful and at that time time a very trustworthy engine. We were in a hurry and the canal trip back to home waters was a way more stressful experiement compared to the Atlantic route we used getting to the Med. I singlehanded both trips half of the time. With a more suitable boat, more time and crew it’d be an adventure to do the canal trip.
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 05:18   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We did much of the Canal du Midi last fall (rental power powerboat) and the biggest sailboat we saw was around 25' so no joy there although they say 5'.
Old 15-02-2023, 05:47   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

David, Covid has had a major effect on the French canal system over the past couple of years.

Firstly maintenance has been substantially curtailed including dredging and weed cutting. Secondly a huge reduction in the in the number of boats travelling again enabling weed to grow.

Mark, on Sailing Wildings had some problems on the upper canals and documented them on his YT channel.

What draft is the proposed new yacht?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 05:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
David, Covid has had a major effect on the French canal system over the past couple of years.

Firstly maintenance has been substantially curtailed including dredging and weed cutting. Secondly a huge reduction in the in the number of boats travelling again enabling weed to grow.

Mark, on Sailing Wildings had some problems on the upper canals and documented them on his YT channel.

What draft is the proposed new yacht?
Pete.. I think he was going to base his decision on the responses he got..
The problems you raised above are one of the reasons I suggested boats like the Southerly range.. 105, 110 etc.. and the Dutch boats which are specifically designed for canals and the North Sea...
All shallow draft, yet comfortable, capable seagoing craft.

Old 15-02-2023, 10:45   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Pete.. I think he was going to base his decision on the responses he got..
Well something with bilges keels would be good. David, that would be Moody, Westerly or Sadler. Alternatively a Jeanneau Sunrise 34 or similar with a lift keel. At 1.12m draft and a cruiser/racer design could be interesting.

https://www.boatpoint.co.uk/boats/8517675

I think the days of ploughing through with 1.75m keels are over, so probably need to keep to 1.6m draft. Worth watching Sailing Magic Carpet who did a south > north trip on a Vindo 32 (28ft with 1.4m draft).

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 12:55   #15
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

We travelled the Canal du Midi last September/October with a draught of 0,9m - no issues of course.
However due to draught we did not enter at Port La Nouvelle but in Sete going West.

1,3m draught shall be ok. Center keel, if you want to moore at the canal banks lateral keels are not that practical.
One might ground even with 1,3m, but as the buttom is just mud, not a tragedy.

115 locks - get your lines (and biceps) prepared. At least going up. The other half is then like heaven.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, enc, canal