Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 00:12   #121
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...521979770.html

Trintella 28 very beautiful boat. Seller is asking $3,000, which isn't close to free but I doubt it will sell at that price considering condition. I saw this same model boat sell in beautiful condition in Santa Barbra last year for under 4k.
Yes doubt he'll get much for it in that state.

Don't find specs on a 28', there's the "IA" and a 29 though.

Looks like all are candidates for my under 8.5' beam requirement, lovely design, apparently offshore capable. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 00:19   #122

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Don't find specs on a 28', there's the "IA" and a 29 though.

Looks like all are candidates for my under 8.5' beam requirement, lovely design, apparently offshore capable. . .
yeah I think its actually a 1a. When they are fixed up I declare they are about as beautiful a boat as one can find. The one that sold out of Santa Barbra was stunning. The teak and traditional look floored me, I just cant help myself. Not many of them around and certainly a candidate for synthetic teak deck replacement for lower maintenance but absolutely sexy.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 00:52   #123
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That 4K price sure was a bargain then, relative to value almost free 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:39   #124

Boat: in the works

Quote:
Oh wow!!!! Look at her!
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:14   #125

Thanks everyone for posting your finds! Some great boats! We've had a lot of visitors to the thread too, very cool! It's a nice day so I'm off to look at a few boats.... a '69 C&C Redwing, '63 Choey Lee 27 (I think the listing is wrong on the year) , '72 Tartan 30, and maybe one other if I have time. I'll try to take pictures and maybe videos of each as I do the walk through.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:29   #126

Out of curiosity, what's the average PPF in your area for slips and moorings? I'm in New England and it seems to be right around $45 avg. in my area for a mooring, almost $60 avg for slips. Can we get some responses from around the country/ world?

For those interested in doing a rehab of an old boat, I found a great book! Matter of fact the author has a series of different marine repair manuals. The title is "Boat owners mechanical and electrical manual", written by Nigel Calder. It's available on Amazon, probably at your local book store as well.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:33   #127

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...521979770.html

Trintella 28 very beautiful boat. Seller is asking $3,000, which isn't close to free but I doubt it will sell at that price considering condition. I saw this same model boat sell in beautiful condition in Santa Barbra last year for under 4k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
You mean in California?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:44   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the average PPF in your area for slips and moorings? I'm in New England and it seems to be right around $45 avg. in my area for a mooring, almost $60 avg for slips. Can we get some responses from around the country/ world?

For those interested in doing a rehab of an old boat, I found a great book! Matter of fact the author has a series of different marine repair manuals. The title is "Boat owners mechanical and electrical manual", written by Nigel Calder. It's available on Amazon, probably at your local book store as well.
Yes, the Nigel Calder books are awesome!

My local marina, downtown Kingston (canada, lake ontario) used to charge around $80/ft for seasonal dockage. They just changed to an annual fee that includes haulout/launch/winter storage too.... $105/ft (plus 13% tax). So my Pearson 30 would cost just over $3500/year. And thats before insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. Electricity extra. And its LOA, not model length. BTW, $2million liability insurance required (with certificate).

Does it seem high? That's why there are fewer and fewer boats there each year. That, and the poor service combined with bad marina layout/design. Not even decent shore heads. Security is a joke. In this case, you do not get what you pay for.

Do I sound disgruntled? I'm not. I'm fully gruntled.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:50   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Yes, the Nigel Calder books are awesome!

My local marina, downtown Kingston (canada, lake ontario) used to charge around $80/ft for seasonal dockage. They just changed to an annual fee that includes haulout/launch/winter storage too.... $105/ft (plus 13% tax). So my Pearson 30 would cost just over $3500/year. And thats before insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. Electricity extra. And its LOA, not model length. BTW, $2million liability insurance required (with certificate).

Does it seem high? That's why there are fewer and fewer boats there each year. That, and the poor service combined with bad marina layout/design. Not even decent shore heads. Security is a joke. In this case, you do not get what you pay for.

Do I sound disgruntled? I'm not. I'm fully gruntled.
Holy crap! I thought it was expensive in my area!
Old 11-03-2018, 09:32   #130

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

I currently pay 413 a month and I think that's for the 30 foot slips. Includes mail service, power, water, wifi, security and parking spot and key. I feel its a bit high since up by the SF area or the Delta for 30 foot slip and lesser with wifi, water and power is 200 bucks a month.

But to be fair I am hauling the old girl out this month and trailering her home to sit on my land for free, that's the right price for me.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 16:51   #131

Boat: Bristol 27

Not free but probably much cheaper than one that is in the long run......and it's quite fast:

https://smd.craigslist.org/boa/d/pea...476208236.html

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1797
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 17:45   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Not free but probably much cheaper than one that is in the long run......and it's quite fast:

PEARSON 10M sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
A bunch of these just came up for sale in my general area. Ranging from 3K to 15K. I've seen pictures of the 3K boat and it needs a bit of fiberglass work. It was beached, but didnt take water and limped home. I'm not a big fan of Pearson with the wheel right at the gangway opening.
Old 11-03-2018, 18:16   #133

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Tartan 30! This ones been on the market for a few months. The owner has a CL ad that says contact him directly to save on the brokers commission. Nice boat with an asking price of $9900.

East Shore Yacht Sales (New London, CT)
I owned a Tartan 30C for years. GREAT boat. Fast(I know,I know, everyone says that...) comfortable, solid boat. Mine was the aft galley model. Only negative was that Atomic 4. Sometimes I miss that boat...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 19:18   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

PEARSON 10M sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Quote:
A bunch of these just came up for sale in my general area. Ranging from 3K to 15K. I've seen pictures of the 3K boat and it needs a bit of fiberglass work. It was beached, but didnt take water and limped home. I'm not a big fan of Pearson with the wheel right at the gangway opening.
I owned a Pearson 30. The Pearson 10m looks very similar. The 10m seems to have deeper draft, keel stepped mast, and better overall finish below. Still, very very similar boats.

The Pearson 30 comes up for sale around here occasionally, and the price is usually quite low. Very good sailing boat, but 70's ugly below. I bought one for next to nothing.

I agree about the wheel....these boats should have a tiller. A tiller on a 30 foot boat is a great thing. That wheel is just trouble. IMHO, the cockpit needs a tee shape to accommodate a wheel.
Old 12-03-2018, 14:10   #135

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I've never owned a sailboat with a wheel, but I like that it's close to the dodger on a Pearson 10M like it is with a tiller. The one I almost bought (for $9,000) had a tiller that could be installed so I was considering removing the wheel.

I didn't buy it though because it needed too much. The head had a bag holding tank. There was only a lunch hook for an anchor and no place to store the anchor or rode. No autopilot. No dodger. It needed a bottom job, and many of the instruments didn't work including the depth finder.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote