Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2018, 10:29   #361

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: FREE, or close to free!

Erickson 29 asking $4,000 cdn (or best/any offer), so will be going almost free. Located on Lake Ontario, east end of Toronto at a very nice marina.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details..._source=alerts

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=999

From the ad:

29ft erickson 1974 needs love and spring cleaning lots of extras 2018 survey good sails atomic 4 engine phone calls only please 705 340 9733 lying bluffers park lake ont . open to offers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (3).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	169723   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	169724  

Name:	$_59 (2).JPG
Views:	186
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	169725   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).JPG
Views:	193
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	169726  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:08   #362
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
Yup, that one is right up the road from me. Great boat and it will be a bargain!
Rod
Are you saying you have some direct experience with the condition of that specific instance for sale?

Or just wrt that model?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:12   #363
cruiser

Actually spelled ERICSON 29 for those googling further info
Old 14-05-2018, 04:20   #364

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Some lucky bugger got that folk boat for 1k.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 06:51   #365
cruiser

I'm already kicking myself 8-)
Old 15-05-2018, 18:03   #366

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'm already kicking myself 8-)
Me too just a little. Not what I am currently looking for but having sailed folkboats I can say that was a great deal even if you had some work to do.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 19:49   #367

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

I am having a blast refitting our 1962 Columbia 29 right now. We have our time full with taking care of our home and land, kids, work, etc. However I keep an eye out for another great plastic classic like an Islander 30 or perhaps a Pearson Vanguard. Maybe its a sickness?
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 07:18   #368

Herreshoff ketch in Kingston (Lake Ontario, Canada) asking $5,000 (cdn) or best/any offer. Based on the text of the ad, I'll go out on a limb and say that you could likely get this boat for $1.

This is looks like a substantial cruiser, if you aren't afraid of a ferro-cement hull. Not much info about the boat. Its local to me, here in Kingston Ontario Canada, so if you are interested I could get photos or have a look on your behalf before you commit to travel.

The ad gives little info about the boat, focusing more on the sad story of the current owner. I can't even see a LOA for the boat....I can only guess something like 35 feet, perhaps a bit more.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

From the ad:

There will be an ad in Ferrocement.org soon and will place link. Full description available on request. The hull was stripped and refinished, along with masts, all using oil-based varnishes and paints in 2016. Am unable to continue due to advanced case of Lyme.
Seaworthy but needs some work. Engine turns over; needs running lights; includes Liberty Dinghy 10', old B&W Furuno radar in box (not installed), two hand-held GPS, full set of sails and spares.

The catch: Marina operator is adamant boat must be moved by end of May; has scheduled May 20th trip to salvage yard though have paid through 31st (construction project where she lies, and unable to find marina who would take her in the few weeks he gave me). Long story but needs immediate resolution if new owner can step up.

Truly, this is quite possibly the best deal in the entire world right now for an ocean-cruising, very well built ferro ketch designed by Francis Herreshoff working with the owner-builders in the 1970's.

Best offer. Move fast!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	169882  
Old 16-05-2018, 08:09   #369

[QUOTE=hamburking;2633325]Herreshoff ketch in Kingston (Lake Ontario, Canada) asking $5,000 (cdn) or best/any offer.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

39 feet LOD
44 feet LOA
Displacement 26,500

The owner responded to my inquiry in less than 10 minutes.

Pics are at least 2 years old, possibly 5 years.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/235559...7594333681030/
Old 16-05-2018, 08:14   #370

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'd be scrutinizing engine and swagings before moving her. Years can slip away while we dream of that someday when we'll get back out to the boat. A full boat cover can really help to keep her looking good, but there's no getting around potential problems of an engine that hasn't run in over 10 years.
Nothing a $50,000 yard bill can't fix.
Old 16-05-2018, 14:34   #371

Just a quick followup to my previous post. I've been in contact with the owner who is in somewhat of a panic and needs to sell the boat before May 22nd. The owner is out of the country. And although the marina is fully paid up, they do not want project boats there, or something like that. Anyway, I believe it truly is available for free (or $1 to make it legal).

Link to some (at least 2 year old) pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/235559...7594333681030/

Here are some details:

Herreshoff Nereia Ketch Almitra

.......a sailor sails to within earshot and hollers, “She’s beautiful, what design is she?”..........

The Herreshoff Nereia Ketch Almitra is an ever so slightly altered version of L. Francis Herreshoff’s cruising ketch “Nereia”. Designed in 1947, as one in a series of the Rudder Magazine’s “How to Build” series, the Nereia/Almitra is a real little ship. (please refer also to the 22 page “How to Build” reprint in Sensible Cruising designs, ISBN 0-87742-298-2) She points nicely, reaches like a tank, sails well on all points, and is very comfortable in a seaway. The design is, other than the blessed changes, faithful to Herreshoff’s vision. The slight alterations amount to a few inches of extra freeboard, and an 18” extension to the stern, resulting in a classic Herreshoff transom. Herreshoff himself blessed these changes, offering that she would look better. And she does. For the past 33 years we have been “flooded” with compliments from sailors everywhere on how beautiful she looks. Construction started in 1969, and she was rigged in 1972. She has been sailed every year but one ever since. Please enjoy the following inventory and anecdotes of her experiences and outfittings.

Almitra Slide Show Almitra Pictures

Hull:

~ reinforced concrete with powder skim-coat, with an exterior finish of quality often taken for a fine built wood or fibreglass yacht. The very fair hull and finish have 4 coats red oxide primer, and annual polyurethane white paint.

~ fore, side, bridge and after decks of reinforced concrete.

~ “rub rail:” and taff rail cap: Cetoled, laminated mahogany

~ ballast: approximately 11,500lbs internal lead

Many, many times, we have been approached by sailors asking as to her design and construction. We always oblige such requests, offering her design pedigree. To the uneducated, they are usually surprised and somewhat disbelieving to learn that she is of concrete construction. The inquirers remain so until such time as they rap their knuckles on her fair and smooth hull.

Cabin and Cockpit construction:

~ fibreglassed multiple layers of fir plywood, painted biannually

~ mahogany handrails, Cetoled annually.

~ interior, acrylic painted as required.

Rig: the rig is true to Herreshoff’s specifications.

~ resourcinal glued sitka spruce box masts, spar varnished annually.

~ bronze tangs and hardware, stainless screwed.

~ spreaders: oak with brass reinforcement at the bolts

~ standing rigging: originally galvanized wire, currently 2/3 replaced with stainless of matching strengths, Norseman fittings at the turnbuckles, and swaged aloft.

~ turnbuckles: bronze for the main and bowsprit, stainless for the mizzen.

The rig has been tested in many conditions. ......While sailing in moderate breezes with full canvas, (140% genoa), the breeze picked up to 25-30, gusting to 50 knots. We were sailing a close reach in 6’ seas with all this canvas up, really, just roaring through it all, rail down, great noise and spray everywhere.....nothing broke or tore....a very exhilarating and memorable ride! As well she has sailed largish seas in Lake Huron, and the nastiness of Lake Erie, all without any failures.

Sails:

~ working jib and mizzen, 1972, cut by R.B. Stevens, Lunenberg, Nova Scotia. Mizzen sail is getting close to it’s lifespan. Working jib is still a very good sail.

~ Genoa, 1999, 170%, by Kingston Sail Loft, on roller furling.

~ Mainsail, 2002, by Kingston Sail Loft. (one set of slab reefing points) This new, fully battened sail has a shape, considered by it’s maker “ to be one of the best he has cut”.

~ Mizzen staysail, cut by the Owner gives that extra canvas needed in light airs.

Running Rigging:

~ ash faced, spar varnished, bronze strapped, bronze roller bearing blocks. By Merriman for the mizzen, and A. Dauphinee of Lunenberg for the main.

~ heavy duty snatch blocks for running backstays by Merriman and Dauphinee

~ most sheets are relatively new and are of Dacron.

~ halyards are of stainless wire, spliced to rope. (2 of 4 ropes could use replacement)

~ winches: 3- 6:1 Lewmar winches with ratcheting handles. 3 halyard winches: 2 speed winches for the main and mizzen halyards and a large bronze winch for the headsails.1 small Gibb winch on the main boom for reefing.

Mechanicals:

~ engine: Perkins 4-99 (99ci 4 cyl diesel- 1970. (We have all manuals)

~ cooling system: isolated heat exchanger, seawater cooling engine antifreeze

~ gearbox: hydraulic drive:....PRM.......................

~ Controls: combined throttle, fwd/reverse, Morse control at the wheelhouse

~ exhaust system: cooling water injected into custom made aqua lift, exhausted thru’ exhaust grade flexible pipe, thru’ hull at transom.

~ fuel tanks: 2 vinylester fibreglass,1 under floor 25gal +-, 1 under cockpit floor (as yet unconnected) about 35 gal. 2 filters, I primary under floor with water separator, and 1 secondary on engine.

~ flexible coupling rebuilt (1999)between transmission and shaft. (prop is offset per Herreshoff)

~ shaft and prop. stainless steel shaft, fixed 3 blade bronze, 16 x18pitch

~ refrigeration: by E-Z Kold, compressor with holding plate in LARGE “icebox”. (198...) Controlled by 60 minute spring switch.

The engine is a sturdy machine, and has been maintained. She was partially rebuilt in 1981, (after an oil leak) and since then has had annual changes of oil, filters and antifreeze. The valves were recently reset and gaskets replaced. Water pump impeller replaced in the mid 80’s.

This engine is typical of old Perkins engines. For an engine of her size and vintage she is as noisy, hot, and as aromatic as you might expect from a diesel. While the engine box has acoustic lead lining/ fibreglass etc., the forward 2 panels could use replacement or rebuilding to create a better seal from the boat’s interior. Having said the above, the sound of the Perkins running imparts great confidence, she sounds like she will run forever......just that infinite diesel sound.

~ the 4-99 was made in such quantities world wide, that access to parts is quite easy.

~ Steering: hydraulic steering by Wagner Engineering. Pump is enclosed in a mahogany “wheel house”, totally refinished in 2002. The steering is very sturdy to say the least, and the helmsman can leave his post and the steering will not waiver. The tradeoff of such steadfastness is of course, reduced sensitivity to weather helm etc.

Electricals:

~ 2- 12V 650 amp batteries on 1, 2 or “both” switch.

~ automotive alternator, automatic, or manually switched on.

~ 12V DC aircraft switches to: water pumps, propane solenoid, refrigeration, port and starboard running and interior lights, radios, navigation etc. Secondary panel partially installed (with the intent of centralizing switching for exterior electricals.)

~ exterior p/s running lights.

~ (masthead, foredeck, stern and compass lights still to be connected)

~ separate switches for engine preheater, starter

~ instrumentation: oil pressure, water temperature, battery charge/discharge

~ Seafarer depth sounder and knotmeter

Ground Tackle:

~2 anchors, 35 lb Danforth typechain,and 150’ of 3/4” twisted nylon line, 75lb Herreshoff “Fishermans” with 150’ of 3/4” twisted nylon line. At anchor, Almitra is very quiet and moves very slowly with the winds. With her sitka spruce masts and her lines tied back, she, unlike her aluminum masted cousins is quiet, offering peaceful sleeping conditions.

~ nylon mooring and spring lines.

Accommodations:

~ the interior is of lauan mahogany veneered ply with buffing sealer finsh, and is trimmed out in cherry. Floors: fir ply with strip cherry and maple inlay, polyurethane finish.

~ 6’3” standing headroom.

~ berths, 4. 2 - 6’6” x 3’ saloon berths. and 2- 7’ quarter berths, all with 4” upholstered foam cushions

~ galley: 3 burner/oven propane gimbaled “..Shipmate................” stove, propane switch

~ 2 lockers for pots and dry good plus storage under stove

~ bank of 4 drawers for galley storage

~ dish racks for full set of 6 dishes.

~ approx 8 sq. ft. of clear counter space plus fold up leaf, plus 9sf on top of ice box

~ stainless steel sink, foot pump.

~ cherry saloon table with 4 drawers, 2 fold down leafs

~ head: Brydon Boy w/c with hand-pump to holding tank, separate valve (unconnected) for discharge to sea.

~ Head sink: Monel (rescued from old passenger train) with electric water pump

~ 4 drawers in head plus ample shelving

~ Storage: 3 easily accessible hanging lockers + room for further storage in as yet “undeveloped” spaces beside icebox and in the forepeak.

~ in cabin heater: “Force 10” kerosene heater.

Tankage:

~ Water tanks: 3. all under floor, totalling about 75 gal. 2 tanks, food grade stainless steel, the third, fibreglass. Tanks have separate outlets, piping is plastic.

~ Holding tank: 15 gal approx. new in 1997, fibreglass under head floor.

Navigation:

~ GPS: hand held unit by “Micrologic”

Other Goodies:

~ Broil King “Porta Chef” propane BBQ, in the lazarette.

~ Stereo: “Craig” AM/FM cassette with 2 speakers. (Cassette part needs repair)

Sailing Performance:

Almitra sails well. With her new main and large genoa, she points well in light airs. Off the wind she sails very well, putting her 33’ waterline to work. She will reach hull speed in 10 knots of wind.

She reaches with power and grace, and in a sea, her hollow foresections throw the water and is, generally a dry ride. One has to admire the genius of the Herreshoff legacy, combining beautiful looks and fine cruising qualities. As a good cruising yacht should, she tracks well, holds her course, and has a balanced rig. Reefing is seldom required. The ketch rig provides ample opportunity to douse a sail, when the wind causes too much leeway or an uncomfortable passage. This Herreshoff ketch is stiff, seldom has her rail under, and handles all wind conditions with great confidence.
Old 16-05-2018, 17:33   #372

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

'76 Albin Vega in San Diego, lien sale:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/6590989695.html

Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 15:13   #373

Boat: in the works

Hey all! Found this beauty. Cape Dory Typhoon is a great little boat! Keeps the cost of ownership nice and low. Might be just what someone here is looking for!

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/bo...589154062.html
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 15:24   #374

Boat: in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'd be scrutinizing engine and swagings before moving her. Years can slip away while we dream of that someday when we'll get back out to the boat. A full boat cover can really help to keep her looking good, but there's no getting around potential problems of an engine that hasn't run in over 10 years.
Just fired up a truck that had been sitting for more than 15 years. (don't actually know how many years beyond 15, but for sure more than. If it was put away right, shouldn't be a problem if you do it the right way. If anyone needs help starting an old motor, and your'e in New England, let me know.
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 16:26   #375

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
Just fired up a truck that had been sitting for more than 15 years. (don't actually know how many years beyond 15, but for sure more than. If it was put away right, shouldn't be a problem if you do it the right way. If anyone needs help starting an old motor, and your'e in New England, let me know.
Starting an old motor is pretty simple for most of us old folks 60 plus.

Making it be your everyday engine that will last is a totally different thing especially an old sailboat engine.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote