Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 21:55   #346

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: FREE, or close to free!

After spending the day dinking around on the boat and trying to entertain my 7 year old too, I have concluded that the DIY thing with an older boat is certainly doable... but MUCH better as a 2-person operation, a 2 motivated-and-dedicated-adult-people operation.
I didn't get much done today. But I did get an unused Danforth 20H for $20, that was a good deal.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:08   #347
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes those are two very different activities, gotta choose which one gets focus, let the other be a lower-priority sideline.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 17:13   #348

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
After spending the day dinking around on the boat and trying to entertain my 7 year old too, I have concluded that the DIY thing with an older boat is certainly doable... but MUCH better as a 2-person operation, a 2 motivated-and-dedicated-adult-people operation.

I didn't get much done today. But I did get an unused Danforth 20H for $20, that was a good deal.
Small kids get bored on boats pretty quickly. But stick with it it will pay off.

Just soloed down from Waukegan to Jackson Park Chicago yesterday in my same 1200 dollar with the trailer Catalina Capri. Went back out today-
My older lad - 14 and a half- was steering the boat today whilst I hauled up the jib in 20 kts and 3-6’ waves. He’s into it and old enough to be part of the team. We also did the harbor master a solid and towed a swamped derelict duck boat and tied it to a mooring. This is his third season and it’s been awesome watching him “man up” over time. And getting a cheap boat was an important investment in our relationship. I know we’ll have many more great sails to come.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:49   #349

Nice looking s2, apparently ready to go.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...577619432.html
Old 08-05-2018, 22:13   #350

FREE, or close to free!

At $28.95 per linear foot, this Monterrey 24 is a steal. If only I had a farm or a storage yard and $695, it could be mine!

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa...583126046.html

A cool thousand and you can pick up where Scott left off... “I took the engine out to clean it” ... oh Scotty.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa...578483855.html

This Coronado 27 looks very spacious below deck. The cockpit seems small, but it seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bo...581623091.html
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22   #351
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
A cool thousand and you can pick up where Scott left off... “I took the engine out to clean it” ... oh Scotty.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa...578483855.html
> it can sit on the hard free where it is until the work is finished.it can sit here until it is in good shape except to finish the paint

> I have plenty of fresh supply's for this job and a safe place to finish working is your responsibility is clean inside

Wow, now that's a deal for a grand by itself!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:31   #352

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

HR27, well known model, very solid, good pedigree. Located on Lake Ontario, just east of Toronto. According to the ad I think they will take any offer. I would not be surprised if this were a $100 boat that you could safely sail away. My only complaint is that the inboard volvo is gas, not diesel, otherwise it would be suitable to sail south to the caribbean.

Can anyone identify that volvo from the picture?

If the volvo is less than 10hp, then only a receipt is needed...not other paperwork would be required (in Canada). Boats under 10hp in canada do not need to be registered or licensed, and in many cases, home owners insurance will cover this sort of boat as well.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...m_medium=email

From the ad:

Must sell. Price reduced.

Noelani2 has had the same owner for 45+ years. Reluctant sale but she now needs a new owner. Designed by George Hinterhoeller. Solid fibreglass, no laminate. She's a capable heavy weather boat but also moves well in a light breeze.

Volvo Penta 2 cyl gas inboard with feathering prop
Wheel Steering
Internal Halyards
Aluminum toe rail with plenty of tie points
Stainless steel water and holding tanks
Cast Iron Keel
Steel cradle and winter frame.

Lots of sails, including #1 #2 Genoa, spinnaker, working jib, main, etc, but presently unsure of complete inventory. Sails are well used but functional.

She is in need of a good cleanup and wood needs to be redone, but cosmetic items only. A very solid cruiser.
Planning to launch early June. Frenchman's Bay.

2014 Survey and complete history available.

Try your offer.

Please email through Kijiji, txt or call 613-968-1283.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	169489   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).JPG
Views:	143
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	169490  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:20   #353

Quote:
THAT is definitely one to check out. Looks to be one of the diamonds that is not so rough. Now who was it that was looking for a strong, simple, sea-worthy and sea kindly "bluewater" boat for not too much $? Don't let this one go by unchecked.

Still there and looking amazing. Dodger looks great- this looks like the right boat for the wrong conditions!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:28   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
HR27, well known model, very solid, good pedigree. Located on Lake Ontario, just east of Toronto. According to the ad I think they will take any offer. I would not be surprised if this were a $100 boat that you could safely sail away. My only complaint is that the inboard volvo is gas, not diesel, otherwise it would be suitable to sail south to the caribbean.

Can anyone identify that volvo from the picture?

If the volvo is less than 10hp, then only a receipt is needed...not other paperwork would be required (in Canada). Boats under 10hp in canada do not need to be registered or licensed, and in many cases, home owners insurance will cover this sort of boat as well.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...m_medium=email

From the ad:

Must sell. Price reduced.

Noelani2 has had the same owner for 45+ years. Reluctant sale but she now needs a new owner. Designed by George Hinterhoeller. Solid fibreglass, no laminate. She's a capable heavy weather boat but also moves well in a light breeze.

Volvo Penta 2 cyl gas inboard with feathering prop

Wheel Steering

Internal Halyards

Aluminum toe rail with plenty of tie points

Stainless steel water and holding tanks

Cast Iron Keel

Steel cradle and winter frame.

Lots of sails, including #1 #2 Genoa, spinnaker, working jib, main, etc, but presently unsure of complete inventory. Sails are well used but functional.

She is in need of a good cleanup and wood needs to be redone, but cosmetic items only. A very solid cruiser.

Planning to launch early June. Frenchman's Bay.

2014 Survey and complete history available.

Try your offer.

Please email through Kijiji, txt or call 613-968-1283.

Thank You

Very interesting looking boat- looks like a cross between a Pearson Ariel in the cockpit area and a Grampian in the cabin and deck. The keel looks looks longer than a purely ‘fin’ keel, closer to a ‘cutaway ‘ keel.

So many opportunities for someone to start their cruising adventure. I like boats like this that could be someone’s first boat as well as someone’s long term pocket cruiser.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:31   #355

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Read thru it quickly and thought you wrote DRINKING, not dinking...Thought "That's not very good parenting." Thanks for the laugh
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:08   #356

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
Very interesting looking boat- looks like a cross between a Pearson Ariel in the cockpit area and a Grampian in the cabin and deck. The keel looks looks longer than a purely ‘fin’ keel, closer to a ‘cutaway ‘ keel.

So many opportunities for someone to start their cruising adventure. I like boats like this that could be someone’s first boat as well as someone’s long term pocket cruiser.
If I'm not mistaken, Hinterhoeller was the designer of the famous Shark sailboat, and a founding member of C&C. In short, he made good boats. The HR25 is like an early version of the C&C25, and I would think this HR27 is like a beefier version of the C&C27.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 17:56   #357

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

A Pearson Vanguard, which are beautiful boats. This one needs lots of love but solid boats from what I understand.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...563798971.html
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 18:07   #358
cruiser

Almost free Folkboat, 0 bids! But 77 watching 8-)

http://ebay.com/itm/International-Fo...s/332642805937

Almost irresistible. . .
Old 12-05-2018, 21:45   #359

Boat: Dufour Arpege

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Almost free Folkboat, 0 bids! But 77 watching 8-)

http://ebay.com/itm/International-Fo...s/332642805937

Almost irresistible. . .
Yup, that one is right up the road from me. Great boat and it will be a bargain!
Rod
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 09:40   #360

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
A Pearson Vanguard, which are beautiful boats. This one needs lots of love but solid boats from what I understand.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...563798971.html
I'd be scrutinizing engine and swagings before moving her. Years can slip away while we dream of that someday when we'll get back out to the boat. A full boat cover can really help to keep her looking good, but there's no getting around potential problems of an engine that hasn't run in over 10 years.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote