Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 12:05   #1

Forced to give up sailing

hi,

I wonder when you knew you had to give up sailing and what you did with the boat ? And life after sailing ?

archie
arch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:43   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Forced to give up sailing

when the flames of my viking funeral are lapping my cheeks i will stop[ sailing.
didnt say which cheeks.
there is no life after sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sadly that is a major issue in Europe and I suspect the US. Folk are kidding themselves that they are still able to sail and maintain a boat as it slowly goes downhill and turns into a wreck. Marinas and boat yards are littered with them.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:59   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

I had to give up sailing when I was taken off my boat by the FLFD paramedics and brought to the ER. Unable to stand, drink, barely able to talk. Right side of my body and left side of my face was numb. After, 4 days in the hospital, I could just take a few sips of thickened liquids. By the time I checked out, I could just about use a walker to get from the door to the car. 4 months of rehab and I could walk, eat and drink again.

Never saw my boat again. Fortunately a good friend came up from the Keys and got my belongings off. Had with a local broker, dropped the price drastically and it sold. That money was put towards a home, when I could live on my own again.

Now, luckily, I can ride a bike (Indian), cook, go for walks, go out, swim, beach, touch type again and play guitar.

I am very fortunate. I got to live my dream and got to create a new life all over again on my terms.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:59   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Arthritis in the lower back and hips. That's what's forcing me out. Can't stand or sit but for a few minutes. Going thru treatment may make it better (for awhile) but ya gotta know when to fold em. Know when to walk away and know when to run. Life is a gamble.
Old 02-05-2017, 15:09   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most all of us will be forced to swallow the anchor.
Sometimes it's for the sake of a loved one, then of course even if your still capable, you have to go, cause what's more important?
Pete is alluding I think to financial ability, however I think the majority of boats sit and rot away cause the owner just can't bring themselves to get rid of it, cause as long as they have it, they can still pretend they can go anytime if they really wanted to.
I see the same thing with aircraft, sad to watch them deteriorate to worthiness, if sold in time they could have been someone else's dream, but to let them rot to uselessness, they are no ones dream.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 16:16   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

We are going to place our boat in our garden and use it as a summer tea room / winter tools shed.

Imagine this. You wake up and go to the garden, open all the hatches, make some tea, browse old charts, pictures, sit in the cockpit, look at the flowers.

No reason to get rid of it as it has only very little pecuniary value but quite some emotional value.

Keep it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 16:21   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I like your idea, Barnakiel. So I have between now and when I have to swallow the hook to acquire a backyard big enough to accommodate my boat. I could put it to use as a guest house or AirBnB. I think that is a worthwhile goal.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 17:43   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We are going to place our boat in our garden and use it as a summer tea room / winter tools shed.

Imagine this. You wake up and go to the garden, open all the hatches, make some tea, browse old charts, pictures, sit in the cockpit, look at the flowers.

No reason to get rid of it as it has only very little pecuniary value but quite some emotional value.

Keep it.

b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I like your idea, Barnakiel. So I have between now and when I have to swallow the hook to acquire a backyard big enough to accommodate my boat. I could put it to use as a guest house or AirBnB. I think that is a worthwhile goal.
Now thats a fine idea...and I bet would make a great AirBnb property...hook it up to grid power, water, and sewer...just eleminated much of the maintenance too!
[emoji106]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 18:08   #10

Amen on that, I’m at that pivot point and been thinking of buy a boat after moving back to the US last year. How many good sailing years do I have left? Does it make sense to buy a boat or just rent when I want to have a sailing adventure (longer than weekend). Joined a sailing travel group and have decided to wait a year and see how I feel than. I’m the same age as Bill Paxton. One never knows.
LuvtheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 19:17   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The question is wrong. The question is: is it time for a trawler?

I have an embarrassing reputation as a single hander. Sailors I've never previously met know me. But the anchor is heavier and I can tire. I am, to my shock, aging.

As old as I am, my folks continue to sail. They spend less time in the water and the up and down to the dinghy. They don't go out in blows I still enjoy.

Don't give up sailing. Buy a trawler. Or buy a home and a 18' Alberg or high class forgotten and unloved boat. Return to the youth of small boat sailing. You can still outsail 90% of the dumbasses out there. Make it a daysail instead of a week or a month.

If you have friends or family they can help you in and out. If you can't sail yourself find somebody that will help. I recall an old salt who cut a deal with a young kid to whom he left his boat.

Personally I don't care if I'm sailing or on a dinghy. So long as I have the scent in My nostrils, I can touch the water, and feel the hull moving. Let me pass that way. I've loved several fabulous ladies but let me go with the splash of water against the hull.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 19:33   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when the flames of my viking funeral are lapping my cheeks i will stop[ sailing.
didnt say which cheeks.
there is no life after sailing.
We know what cheeks you's talking about...
See you in Valhalla K...

After 39 years of taking care of each other their is no way I will ever give up this boat. We may both be total wrecks, but as long as we are together we will fight the good fight.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01   #13

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

It is touching craziness.... or a crazy touch!?

Whatever... so far we feel good
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:31   #14

Boat: In between boat ownership

Depends upon why you sail...if you are over your head in size and expense, you are likely happy to curtail or at least move down to a day sailor. If you are truly exhausted from years of ocean campaigns then walking away is not difficult but you will never get "over" sailing...it will be with you until you can neither walk or sit upright:-)
bravenewworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:36   #15

A boat can be part of the final exit strategy. An interesting read: That Good Night by Richard Probert.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing