Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 12:58   #1

First time buyer/brokers in Cancun

Hello all, I am finally in a position where I can make my long time dream of buying a liveaboard possible. I have limited sailing experience but I just enrolled in a school here in Denver, yes Denver, to get my ASA 101 and 103 certification. I'm going to build experience over the summer and by late Fall I hope to buy.

Although I've never been, I've been researching Isla Mujeres in the Yucatán for my new home with my boat. I'll have to travel to the US about once a month so it's proximity to Cancun but hopefully laid back atmosphere is seemingly ideal for me. I want to start with day sails and some overnight anchorages and then with more experience some longer voyages, maybe Belize and Honduras.

The Catalina 30 seems like a good boat for me but I could maybe go smaller, my budget is 20,000 but less would be better and a lot less even better. At this point I'm just curious what is available but I'm having trouble finding anything online for that area. Does anyone know a website for a broker in Cancun? Any advise/warnings about my proposed location and boat are welcome as well.

Thanks!
chrisrawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 13:48   #2

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: First time buyer/brokers in Cancun

I spent a couple of years on Isla Mujeres. Wonderful place with a great community. Just isolated enough from the bustle of the city but with easy access to the airport and Cancun has Sam's, Costco and several big box type stores. A few years ago Chedraui (a big Walmart type store) opened a store on the isla and changed the dynamics of the small island life. Still a wonderful place. The lagoon there is the best hurricane hole in a large area. The bottom in the harbor is "ice cream" over hard pack. It can be difficult to get your anchor to bite. I would seriously consider trying a Mantus if I went back again.

If you want names of a couple of locals PM me. There are sometimes boats for sale in the area.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:44   #4

Boat: Boatless

We spent a few months in Isla Mujeres and Puerto Morelos a few years back and we love the area. We stop there when we sail out of the Southern Caribbean on our way back to Miami.

However, the area is not a good place to buy a boat or for a beginner to develop sailing skills. You would be far better served by finding a boat in South Florida/The Keys and learning there. It is not too hard, once you have experience, to sail from Key West to Isla Mujeres especially now Cuba is visitable.

The chances of finding the boat of your dreams and a broker or a surveyor in Cancun are close to zero.

Good luck.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:34   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Also, be very, very cautious about dealing with buying a boat outside of the US. Do not assume that you have ANY legal rights when dealing with foreign brokers. Especially when buying a first boat, stick with a reputable broker inside the US and get a survey, even though you may not think you need it. Cannot over stress the implications here.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:52   #6

Boat: Custom 55

I'd recommend the W. coast of Mexico as a much better alternative. There's a lot more very good cruising area, the sailing's very gentle most places, the flights to the US are plentiful and cheap.

Also, there are a number of reputable brokers in places like San Carlos, Mazatlan, La Paz, and Puerto Vallarta. A couple of them have been in business in MX for around 20 years. If you take a look, there are literally hundreds of boats for sale on the W. coast. Not much on the E. side.

I think it's a much better place to be a commuter cruiser.

TJ
Old 08-03-2017, 10:26   #7

If looking for a 20K 30' Catalina stick to the States. I lived aboard one when single and really enjoyed it, have owned 3 Catalinas.

We've also sailed to Isla and points south. Pick your weather and head over. At the 20K range no broker is going to care much to earn a 2K commission. The boat you want is on Craigslist or in a marina or yard just waiting for you. The owner has forgotten about her and with a little leg work you'll find her.

Good luck! Half the fun is "the search" :-)

Hey! Here she is! Even a fresh water boat!

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/63362

or consider upgrading :-)

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/63799

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:25   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Lots of boats in brackish water in our Texas area. Easy Galveston bay sailing to learn and get your sea legs.
6-7 days to isla.
20k is tight budget. Can be done though.
I've owned 3 Catalina 30s. Properly equipped it would make it fine.
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 20:11   #9

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I would and did use a US based broker. The transaction took place in the US between US citizens. I just took delivery off shore. One small glitch that was taken care of smoothly that may have been an issue if not dealing with US broker and bankers.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:57   #10

Thanks for the info everyone. The thought of spending that kind of money on a boat outside of the US is scary, so I think you are all correct, I should buy the boat in FL or CA. I love the Caribbean but there are a lot more boats for sale at competitive pricing in SoCal. One downside of California is their strict liveaboard laws. So we'll see what I decide to do in the next few months. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for you all in the future.
chrisrawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 15:59   #11

More for sale at competitive prices in California? That's a new one. Don't forget sales tax ��

Seriously all the best and enjoy this part as well, boat hunting is a good part of the fun!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:32   #12

Boat: Catalina36 mkII
Send a message via Skype™ to pzmaria

I'm in a very similar situation. Currently looking for either Catalina or Hunter in the range 30-35'. Already have a mooring spot for her in Cancun area. My budget is 25k. I would prefer a boat from Florida as getting to Cancun would be easy.
Any leads for Florida region broker that would help locate a boat? If there is anything interesting and worth looking at I can get there in no time.
pzmaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancun