Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 20:39   #1

Buying our first boat...

Well second actually, we're keeping the 18.5' Chaparral power boat. But we've decided to add a sailboat!

After months of discussion, we've decided to put our live aboard dreams on hold for now, and enjoy the best of both worlds. Living full time in our RV and exploring regional waters by sail.

We've joined up with a local cruisers association and recruited the help of our friends to teach us the ropes. I'll also be taking ASA classes at a local sailing school.

We've found a 1981 Hunter 27 that has seen less use recently, and the family is wanting to sell it. It has a few things that need elbow grease, but nothing major. In fact, it has recently had a brand spanking new diesel engine installed. It was converted from gas to diesel in the last few years. The helm was also refitted in 2012 as well. Sails are in good condition, as is the rest of the boat, but she's due for a bottom job. The last one was in 2012.

We've agreed on a $4500 sales price, and considering the engine, I feel that its a good bet. I say that because I'm gambling without a survey, or broker. I am choosing to NOT do a survey because I could pull the engine, scrap the hull, and hopefully be able to make most of my money back if it came to that. And we're doing a private sale because, well, why give 10% to someone for this small a sell?

We'll mostly be doing weekend cruises in the local bay, and overnights within a 20nm radius, unless we choose to do something a little further with more experienced sailers and bigger boats along with us.

In any event, I would love to get whatever information CF has to offer. History of the boat, experiences good or bad, etc etc. I've been googling things all day, and trying to find out whatever information that I can. I've seen it named a "Cherubini" so I'm assuming that was the designer.

Thanks in advance!
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:05   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Buying our first boat...

A 27-foot sailboat is a good "learner"-sized" boat and offers some cruising (overnights) cruising.
Old 27-02-2017, 08:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A 27-foot sailboat is a good "learner"-sized" boat and offers some cruising (overnights) cruising.
That's why we decided to jump on it. Our sailing friends said they all started off with a smaller boat and now they're on a HUGE 47' yacht! Our other friends started out on a small boat as well and have refurbished two more and now they're on a 38' French made boat that they are just starting to redo.
Old 27-02-2017, 09:56   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Seems like a good boat to start you cruising and seems suited for the type of sailing you described. Here is some info you may not have yet.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=819
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:16   #5

Boat: Hunter, Cherubini, 33

Sounds familiar..uhhh.. we have the 1982 33ft hunter, Cherubini.. the boats are over built, so if you have a good hull and deck its all gravy.. have fun...

FYI: anytime you run aground... its the 1st mat's fault ....lol
Tango_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:29   #6

Sounds like a good deal. I however would at least pull the boat quickly to determine if it has a major bottom issue from blisters. A proper blister peel job could be $10000 I imagine.
Also, are you going to need a survey for insurance anyway? Not sure on that size boat, possibly not.
Thinking ahead, you could have the owner meet you to have the boat hauled. Inspect the bottom, give him the money and have the yard pressure wash and block it so you can do the bottom job. No additional cost unless the bottom is bad and you reject the sale.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:14   #7

I did a quick haul on it. The bottom was spotless! The repair yard actually said I could probably get another year out of the bottom job. They had to actually scrape about a foot of the keel off and the prop, but other than that it was spotless!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I did a quick haul on it. The bottom was spotless! The repair yard actually said I could probably get another year out of the bottom job. They had to actually scrape about a foot of the keel off and the prop, but other than that it was spotless!
Well, sound a like a no brainer for what you want.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying