Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 15:46   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: emergency tow

Yes, get the BoatUS membership. The basic plan is OK but considering you are taking a fairly long jaunt, I'd go for the upgrade, I forget what it is.. gold? Anyway it gives you a wider radius and it's not a lot more IMO. I had the basic plan when the boat I was on lost its engine right by Paradise Cove off Malibu and they came down from Channel Islands and cheerfully towed us up, at 3 am!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 15:51   #17

Boat US, or Towboat etc... one thing: They are worthless unless you buy the high end coverage. Platinum.
I bought the lower coverage, Gold or something. They wanted $600 from me to tow a mile to a marina. I told them to pound sand. Fortunately someone on VHF warned me before they arrived, so I knew to ask before they hooked up.

Just looked up my old card... I had Gold: unlimited. Yet, they wanted $600

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 15:59   #18

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
In California it is so rare for an insurance to reimburse 100% of the charges. The most likely scenario is that the underwriter will pay on a much smaller fraction of your claim and it will take you months and a lot of time and aggravation to get reimbursed for the rest. . That happens here all the time no matter what type of insurance you have health, auto, home.

I guess in all the other 49 states peoples experience with insurance companies are great and they pay for 100% of the charges promptly without hassle. All of you who do it via your boat insurance you do not know how lucky you are and how good you have it. I, on the other hand, am stuck with a unreliable boat tow company.

I wonder how much it cost to tow a 41 sailboat from an desolate island that is 40 miles away?

I guess it is the difference between where people live, wisdom, age, and life experience.

Abe
It has more to do with who your underwriter is than where you live. If you choose your underwriter prudently, there will be no deductible (on towing) and no increase in premium subsequent to a tow.

I know some myths dies hard but there is little if any advantage to contracting with a single tow company but there are a few disadvantages, chiefly among them the constraint of reliance on one operator.
Your boat, your choice.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 21:12   #19

Ended up going with boatUS. Seems they have good coverage in this area.

Thank you everyone.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 07:51   #20

No problem, always a pleasure to help out. Just be sure you got at least an unlimited water towing plan, or unlimited gold.

Cheechako - you should double check your card to verify that it says either Unlimited Gold or $3000 water towing. If it does I would call the company directly and let them know what happened.

Pat
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 16:19   #21

Got the unlimited gold plan. The said the towing is up to 105miles out in the ocean.
I dont plan on sailing that far out on this boat.
Old 16-01-2021, 20:51   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Got the unlimited gold plan. The said the towing is up to 105miles out in the ocean.
Wow! Yer coming with me next time I go to the islands, they'll tow us all the way out and all the way home!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 21:12   #23

Hey Don i can always tow you with my 8hp lol
Old 17-01-2021, 06:35   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
We were motoring in dead calm up the Albramarle Sound when the exhaust elbow cracked open. They asked where I wanted to go. I had no idea so I went their recommendation. They towed me to Wancheese, 45 miles.

My understanding is Boat US and Sea Tow operators are compensated differently. Boat US compensates per service rendered and Sea Tow has operators in an annual stipend.

I am not sure of this but if true it might effect the willingness to serve.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 20:08   #25

BoatUS with their Golden plan. Worth every penny in my view. I got it before I bought the boat and ended up needing them within two months when sludge from fuel tank clogged the fuel line.

In addition to towing, they also provide discounts for goods and services at many places.

I got it on special with a discount at WestMarine for $150 or so i think (included WestMarine gold membership too). For me it's totally worth it as they will even tow me from Catalina free of charge back to San Diego (100 mile tow range with Gold).
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 22:21   #26

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

We’ve been using Towboat/Us for about 20 years. Geographic coverage changes periodically, so try to confirm they will serve where you cruise. I’ve had some embarrassingly long tows, yet they let me keep renewing. Used them from South Texas to Maine, and points in between.
Old 18-01-2021, 22:24   #27

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I would add, I’ve never had any issues, and the tow operator always seemed satisfied. I always get the best possible coverage. It doesn’t seem that much more expensive, IIRC. Always worth it.

Tags
emergency, enc