Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you have some kind of sailing certification?
Yes, I have a certification. 146 70.87%
No, I have no certification. 60 29.13%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 14:56   #106

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft
Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Sooo, you all, are saying that some self absorbed hero, with no training , or qualifications, or licensing should climb to the left seat of an airliner, or any aircraft,
shove the throttles forward, pull back, rotate, lift off, gear and flaps up, and be in command of an aircraft full of passengers, or even one passenger with zip qualifications and zero certifications .

You rant that The licenses, flight hours, and ratings, and testing, and check rides don't mean jack daniels and are not necessary. Good thinking and reasoning there. Let us all know how that works when you join everyone on board as the planes impacts the planet and everyone is in that smoking hole at the end of the runway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same B.S. on this board concerning U.S.C.G License for being in command of a motor or sailing vessel for hire .

In the U.S.A that means you acquired your documented sea time, and passed the required tests and earned your certification. And I mean earn, with real sea time which due to the 720 days would have to be working professionally. I have done it, ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had a parallel career in flying aircraft. 35 years , 6500 hrs Total Time. Flight instructor, charter pilot, corporate pilot, and Air Combat fighter pilot instructor. Most of my total time was HAND FLYING many, many different air craft over 35 years.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat U.S.A. Everything was real but the bullets.

Real flying: I.P ( Instructor pilot ) Air Combat full on 1 vs 1..5 and 6 dog fights. Before I retired in my early 60's, I was flying as an I.P for Air Combat USA. With Air Combat I logged 2500 hrs in the SF-260 , that was 17 years of yanking and banking and rolling and pulling.

This was not flying straight and level shiney side up reading the paper while
cruising along on auto pilot.

Air combat flying included formation take offs, formation flying, some times formation landings. Plus in the air, gun sight tracking ,BFM ( basic fighter maneuvers ), and ACM ( Air Combat Maneuvering ) in full on 5 and 6 G dogfights . Think Top Gun.

Posts here demean an Instructor or pilot in command having all of his ratings and hours logged. None of the counts in their estimation. I believe You need experience, ability and the certifications.

or...

Brilliant, no training or certification and you would be strapping on a fighter plane
with a non qualified person. That is excellent reasoning. What likely would
be the end game , you would be 'hamburger hair '.

My air combat training was by F-16, F-18, F-14- F-15 drivers., some Top Gun and Red Flag Drivers. No simulators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professional U.S.C.G Licensed Capt. United States Coast Guard lic.

And for all of you who put those of us down, us who gained the required 720 days at sea documented sea time and experience that is far beyond what most boat owners have. Apparently, you think that professional captains do not need to be certified either. They do not need the sea time and experience and testing. Yes, they do.

I will tell you why.

What I do see out there on the water, and it is getting much more prevalent and does not feel good to us old school knowledgeable sailors. Actually it is sad for us to witness.

There is there is a great majority of sail and motor vessel operators that have nearly zero seamanship and even with sailing vessels no ability or desire to sail, or or navigate without GPS and Auto Pilots.

Free Country and this is 2019. Do what you want.

Those on sailing vessels, mostly catamarans now, they dont even raise sails, they are driving Sea going condo maximals, both engines ahead full.

We get put down by these people for our actual SAILING in the BVI ( this was our 17th two week SAILING VACATION in the British Virgin Island ), and the 20th in 35 years in the caribbean. Same goes for austraila, south pacific, mexico and the
coastal sailing off southern california.

They put us down for tacking and sailing, the BVI, and only using the engine to charge the batteries since the mono hulls we sail do not have generators or air conditioning,

They demean those who have earned their captains licenses, in order to
take passengers for hire.

The BVI used to be a cruising ground for sailors and seamen, those days are over.
We just returned from BVI sailing vacation # 17, and 85 to 90% of the boats
we saw, monohulls, sailing cats, and power cats were motoring., Auto pilots
and GPS engaged, , and partying down with drinks in hand, and many times with no one on watch .

As many here have stated, real sailors are a dying breed, They are correct, that is obvious from just witnessing the boats out there making passages. Seamanship and
sailing is ancient history.

We prefer and are pleased to be in the latter category of happy sea and wind loving ancient mariners. And yes we know days are numbered.

You and us, are the few remaining of that vanishing dying breed that are put down by
the 21st century new style water world Disney land floating five star boaters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other wise, if your are part of the 15 % who are real knowledgeable sailors and seaman and navigators, and actually love the wind and sailing, my pleasure to know and salute you, we are among the few and yes, the new wave folks are correct, we sailors are a dying breed. But, it has been one heck of a great and rewarding good
time.

OUT !
. Wow ! Who is the hero now, have you taken your pills today.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 15:45   #107

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
We have an ASA Bareboat License
FYI: its not a liscence, just a training certification.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:14   #108

I have a watch keeping ticket for Daring class destroyers, a Queensland grade 3 masters certificate of competency, a launch masters ticket for Morton Bay Brisbane Queensland & a PNG coasters ticket.

I did not find any of them much use when cruising my yacht.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37   #109

Boat: Contessa 28

License? Badges?
We are in US. We need no stinking badges here.

Just kidding of course I have the 6 Pack USGA. Wanted to improve myself and get properly trained.
GJori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:52   #110
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I suspect this is the sort of poll were response rates totally distort reality. Those that have a cert are proud of it. OK. But for the great majority of us, who do not charter, it has no value.
Old 09-09-2019, 13:47   #111

Thumbs up Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
I have a watch keeping ticket for Daring class destroyers, a Queensland grade 3 masters certificate of competency, a launch masters ticket for Morton Bay Brisbane Queensland & a PNG coasters ticket.

I did not find any of them much use when cruising my yacht.
Now you I can admire, someone not full of themselves for there qualifications and honest, good on ya mate.
Old 09-09-2019, 14:04   #112

Boat: 1994 Ericson 380, 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Sooo, you all, are saying that some self absorbed hero, with no training , or qualifications, or licensing should climb to the left seat of an airliner, or any aircraft,
shove the throttles forward, pull back, rotate, lift off, gear and flaps up, and be in command of an aircraft full of passengers, or even one passenger with zip qualifications and zero certifications .

OUT !
Do they need to be self absorbed? But sure, if they are by themselves they should have the right to have at it. Or, if others wanted to join them, that is their choice. There are plenty of plane crashes by the professionals.

When I hear people spouting all their credentials I just think they need to remember that at some point there was a person that started the whole thing, whatever that might be. Sailing, flying, scuba diving, whatever. They learned by doing and there was not any class available. They were much bolder than someone that needed their hand held while they learned their sport.

Many people just go do something. Learn from the school of hard knocks.
Some people cannot learn on their own and need to be taught. And I am sure that not everyone that goes through the certifications can be trusted as much as another that has gone through the school of hard knocks.

Some of this schooling is just business. Money. And then you are also only as good as the instructor you selected.

I have no formal certification. But I do have most of my 60 years of life being spent on the water, in craft of all sorts, from canoe, skiffs, ski boat, sailboats. Boats I have built. I am rarely impressed by someone's certificate.

Sadly though it is not black and white. There is the potential the untrained could hurt others. But also, the trained should for the most part be able to stay out of their way. But the untrained docking is a real nightmare. Oh well, they have to learn sometime and that is what insurance is for.
Lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 16:39   #113

Thumbs up Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnewman View Post
Do they need to be self absorbed? But sure, if they are by themselves they should have the right to have at it. Or, if others wanted to join them, that is their choice. There are plenty of plane crashes by the professionals.

When I hear people spouting all their credentials I just think they need to remember that at some point there was a person that started the whole thing, whatever that might be. Sailing, flying, scuba diving, whatever. They learned by doing and there was not any class available. They were much bolder than someone that needed their hand held while they learned their sport.

Many people just go do something. Learn from the school of hard knocks.
Some people cannot learn on their own and need to be taught. And I am sure that not everyone that goes through the certifications can be trusted as much as another that has gone through the school of hard knocks.

Some of this schooling is just business. Money. And then you are also only as good as the instructor you selected.

I have no formal certification. But I do have most of my 60 years of life being spent on the water, in craft of all sorts, from canoe, skiffs, ski boat, sailboats. Boats I have built. I am rarely impressed by someone's certificate.

Sadly though it is not black and white. There is the potential the untrained could hurt others. But also, the trained should for the most part be able to stay out of their way. But the untrained docking is a real nightmare. Oh well, they have to learn sometime and that is what insurance is for.
I totally agree with you
Old 09-09-2019, 18:50   #114

Certified and can certify.

See below.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, license, sail, sailing