Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have some kind of sailing certification?
Yes, I have a certification. 146 70.87%
No, I have no certification. 60 29.13%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 23:18   #76

Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseboat View Post
Yes. Ex. United States Coast Guard SAR boat coxswain. 32yrs Marine Law Enforcement Officer, USCG MASTERS LICENSE. Took ASA 101,103 with my wife so she didn’t have to do it alone. Love to learn

Thank you for your service.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:58   #77

Nope, not required at my age, not in Florida, or most other states. Not required anywhere I plan to go, except when I ever get to do the Great Loop, I think New Jersey requires it. My boat won't be fast enough to outrun them, so I guess I will have to get the card.
The Sun King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:37   #78

I have a USCG Captains License and I highly recommend it if you can get one. Besides the knowledge you must have get and maintain one, my boat insurance is more than half what it would be without one.
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38   #79

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

I have been boating and sailing for about 40 years, but 5 years ago, I decided to make it official. I have a USCG 50 ton masters license.
PrimeMeridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:02   #80

When I was cruising in the wild days before GPS as a bit of a refugee on a 30 footer, I always said that as long as I had a laptop, a wax seal, and a laminating machine, I could make any permit, and I did....
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:28   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowMeAway View Post
Through the US Power Squadron I received a certification card as a safe boater which also provided a New York State “Safe Boater” icon to be placed on my drivers license. Also taking the NauticEd bare boat skipper courses online. I’m about 50% complete on the courses and with my boat ownership and sailing logs in the last 4 years on Cayuga Lake, have been awarded a “probably” status by NauticEd for renting the monohull’s out of Roadtown, BVI and Marsh Harbor, Abaco’s. I just hope the Bahamas survive Dorian. Good stuff learned with them. I also have 4 x 10 day vacation years participating as crew in the BVI pre-Irma/Marie. It’s gonna be awesome being BBCM.
I did exactly that 3 years ago. A waste of time and money. Insurance companies are the final decision-makers now. I deliver boats all the time. I pick good boats and do the delivery for the fun of sailing. Yeah I work cheap. I work food and a way home! Most owners can't even afford that!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:33   #82

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmatt View Post
I have a USCG Captains License and I highly recommend it if you can get one. Besides the knowledge you must have get and maintain one, my boat insurance is more than half what it would be without one.

Absolutely agree. I have my power and sail..
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:35   #83

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sun King View Post
Nope, not required at my age, not in Florida, or most other states. Not required anywhere I plan to go, except when I ever get to do the Great Loop, I think New Jersey requires it. My boat won't be fast enough to outrun them, so I guess I will have to get the card.

NJ is power boats only
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:45   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowMeAway View Post
Through the US Power Squadron I received a certification card as a safe boater which also provided a New York State “Safe Boater” icon to be placed on my drivers license. Also taking the NauticEd bare boat skipper courses online. I’m about 50% complete on the courses and with my boat ownership and sailing logs in the last 4 years on Cayuga Lake, have been awarded a “probably” status by NauticEd for renting the monohull’s out of Roadtown, BVI and Marsh Harbor, Abaco’s. I just hope the Bahamas survive Dorian. Good stuff learned with them. I also have 4 x 10 day vacation years participating as crew in the BVI pre-Irma/Marie. It’s gonna be awesome being BBCM.
I did exactly that 3 years ago. A waste of time and money. Insurance companies are the final decision-makers now. I deliver boats all the time. I pick good boats and do the delivery for the fun of sailing. Yeah I work cheap. I work food and a way home! Most owners can't even afford that!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55   #85

As Dreamers and landlubbers, we bought our 40 sloop on retiring. No sailing experience at the time of purchase. Got boat ready to go offshore and spent the next sixteen years crossing oceans, no ticket of any kind. On getting back to Canada I'm now told that I have to have a license to operate any boat with a motor.
daveball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:06   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveball View Post
As Dreamers and landlubbers, we bought our 40 sloop on retiring. No sailing experience at the time of purchase. Got boat ready to go offshore and spent the next sixteen years crossing oceans, no ticket of any kind. On getting back to Canada I'm now told that I have to have a license to operate any boat with a motor.

it's that way in most first world countries once you become officially resident (or in many cases as soon as you are in your flag country). But it doesn't generally apply to visiting foreign vessels for varying lengths of stay.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:11   #87

Yes! My husband and I both have our ASA Bareboat certificates and working toward a Six Pack
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:14   #88

Boat: Outremer 49

Though just a recreational sailor.....granted a serious version, I have a USCG 50Ton Masters License w/Sailing Certification
jleeglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20   #89

We have an ASA Bareboat License
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:32   #90

Boat: Albin Vega 27

1600 Ton with oceans and aux sail endorsement. Have been asked for different papers in Europe but then we agreed my license surpassed those requirements.
I have been a sea going tugboat captain and sailboat captain for over 35 years and am starting to believe some training and subsequent license can help. But that belief comes from interaction on US national waters not on international voyages.
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, license, sail, sailing