Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you have some kind of sailing certification?
Yes, I have a certification. 146 70.87%
No, I have no certification. 60 29.13%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2019, 11:32   #31

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

Us citizen in the Med.
RYA Day Skipper
International Certificate of Compliance
FCC operators license
State of Virginia PWC permit.

No hassle or problems so far but I'm sure that last one will keep me out of jail.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 11:33   #32

Boat: cape dory 31

I chartered quite a few times in the Caribbean before learning that some certification was necessary in other parts of the world. I tested into an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) issued by the RYA because most charter companies in the Med require one even if your resume is otherwise acceptable. Having the certification allows me more choices of charter companies and destinations. I have since received cross-certification by the ASA.
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 11:36   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I have been sailing the west coast of the U.S. for over 30 years and when I brought my boat to Washington last year I took a written test and obtained a Washington State Boater Education Card. It's required of anyone operating a vessel with a motor of 15hp or more. There is an exemption if you were born before 1955. Go figure.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas,

Vice Commodore Doug
S/V Egret
Sequim Bay, WA
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 11:39   #34

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm hoping everyone who lives in the USA or wants to travel to the USA to sail or isn't off cruising the world on their own boat can answer this poll.

Do you have an ASA Certification? Yachtmaster, USCG or other license? Do you have a certification with Moorings or other charter company?

I'm curious how many people have these vs don't have them.

Thanks!
It would be very informative to know which certifications or are held ( should be multiple selections allowed).

Cheers,
Jon Arck
Leopard 44 Second Star
North Palm Beach
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 12:17   #35

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

I‘m sailing the last 5 years in Western Europe, Med, Canaries, and I am not the 3rd year in Greece. Now the last week I returned Greece , ie Thessaloniki and in two Ports the CG asked, besides the normal Papers also for the Skipper Licensing. Never asked before. Just to be aware of.
Happy sailing.
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 12:53   #36

Boat: Southerly 57

ASA Bareboat Cert. It qualifies for what some of the European countries are now asking for.
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 13:05   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Another DIY sailor with no certifications. Been sailing since ~1969, full time cruising since 1986, around 150,000 miles under the keel. No one has ever asked for any certification documents. I do have a ham license and the required ship and operator marine radio licenses. At age 81, if there are "grandfather" exclusions, I probably qualify!

Jim
Old 31-08-2019, 13:25   #38

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Calif. came out with a requirement for a safe boating certification. You have to take and pass an on line course. The must have permit is phased in based on age. So far I don't have to get it for a few more years on account of my advanced age.
I've spent most of my adult life at sea, or while home on vacation taking training classes at various institutions of higher learning. !st assistant engineer steam or motor unlimited horsepower. Coast Guard letter to sit for Chief Engineer. Endorsement for fast rescue craft. Basic and advanced shipboard fire fighting so many times I can't remember, CPR and 1st aid. Defibrillator, Lifeboat endorsement. Been to King's Point and Cal Maritime for more attaboy training. Multiple courses at U.S. Naval training centers Treasure Island and San Diego. Retired member of American Maritime Officer's Association All this means nothing as I still have to get the Cracker Jack permit.
I had boats all my life since early teens. Built and rebuilt a few small ones. This permit to operate should be mandatory for younger people to make them aware of regs and safe operation. I'm just burned out on all the regulations. When I took the fast rescue craft course the instructor offered me a position to teach the class. I declined as it was to far from home. Guess I have to start studying again in a couple of years. HA HA
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 15:11   #39
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

15years Uscg licensed captain with various add ins. Have let the license lapse but the knowledge remains. Have sailed actively for over 35 years and still going.

Cheers
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 15:15   #40

ASA 101, 103 & 104
USCG Master, Near Coastal with Auxiliary Sail Endorsement.
krupke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 15:17   #41

Boat: Outbound 46

I sailed for several years on the Lake of Lucerne in Switzerland. It is mandatory to have an "ausweis" that shows you are competent. This involves a lengthy written test (in German, French, or Italian) and an on-the water practical exam. The toughest part of the practical exam is completing a man-overboard maneuver in less than 3 minutes when the wind is under 2 knots.

I had been sailing for 35 years before taking the test, but still found doing things the "Swiss way" a bit challenging.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 16:03   #42

Boat: Beneteau 331

CG 6pak, ASA instructor 201, 203, 205.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 17:09   #43
Marine Service Provider

The people behind every medical malpractice death (in the US anyway) has some kind of medical education certificate and state license to practice. In 99.9% of all airplane crashes there was a licensed pilot at the controls. The majority of fraud cases involving real estate transactions are committed by licensed individuals. Many bad hairdos are done by licensed barbers and beauticians.

I don't put much stock in the fact that professional or recreational licensing guarantees anything. I hold an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate with four type ratings, a Flight Engineer Certificate (turbojet), a Flight Instructor Certificate (instrument, multi-engine), a Ground Instructor Certificate (advanced & instrument), an FAA designation (Airline Check Airman), a USCG Master (power & sail), a state power boat certificate, Radiotelephone and Marine Commercial Radio Operator licenses and a Real Estate Broker license. Oh, and a Bachelor of Science degree from a accredited university. None of it means squat when you climb in the cockpit, boat or airplane. They are all just pieces of paper, but some EU countries think they turn you into an instant Ace. All they really do is get the charter company and their insurers off the hook if you screw up.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 17:45   #44

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

USCG 100 ton masters with towing and sail, It expired in 2000 but still shows up on records, when my name and SS# is searched.Never had an issue even expired it shows up when i'm boarded that have completed all the necissary boating regulations. Actually makes it boarding instances easy once they see I had a 100 ton masters no more questions asked and treat me with respect.That is unless I charge or take people out for hire!! if you charge it has to be up to date if you are just crusing no problem. You only need a USCG masters if you are a vessel for hire and charging people for the service. otherwise it just depends on were you are some places require different boating safety courses others don't.
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 17:54   #45

Boat: Sabre 402

The State of Connecticut requires operators of boats with motors to hold a “Safe Boater Certificate”. Operators can get them by passing a “safe boating test”. When they instituted this requirement they issued certificates to everyone who already had a boat with a motor, so I got one without ever passing the test.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, license, sail, sailing