Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have some kind of sailing certification?
Yes, I have a certification. 146 70.87%
No, I have no certification. 60 29.13%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 15:14   #61

Re: Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

No certification, but I have read Chapmanís and several other books cover to cover.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 16:22   #62

Boat: a sailing boat

Another disappointing aspect of many (all?) certifications is that you do not get re-certified at regular intervals.Do you happen to know the forgetting / retention ratio for a 5 years' period?

Do you?

I do.

If an activity requires certification, then we should get re-certified each 3 years or so.

This would take people who can no more and people who once did out of the circuit. Fewer accidents, fewer boats, everybody happy.

Mind I do not claim messing about in a boat requires being licensed or able. Except when the boat gets big and powerful enough to be more danger to the crowd than it is to the operator.

Same thing should apply to all other activities that require license, not just boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 16:43   #63

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I spent two years welding up the West Gate Bridge, You need Xray welding certificates to even apply for the job,
Then they put you thru a two week course of practice just to learn their procedures for welding, High Carbon steel, All welds preheated,
You dont pass. you dont have a job,
Its was 100 % Xray,

One welder came down for a job, He had all 12 Welding Certificates,
In the school he was a Perfect Welder,
On the job, He was hopeless, Couldnt weld for crap,
He did a second two week stint in the school, Perfect welds again,
On the job again, Crap as before, He got the flick,
He just couldnt weld on site, Duhhhhhh,

So some have very good certification and qualifications, , but are useless out in the field,
Its just the way it goes,
For a small number of people, Certificates are no more than a fancy piece of paper to hang on the wall,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 16:51   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

First I’d like to see a competency based driving test. And then requalify every 3-5 years. Oh yeah, you gotta pass the pee test first.

I bet it would pay for itself in reduced road wear, it would take so many folks off the highway.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 17:04   #65

I have been sailing since the mid-60s and other than the Red Cross certificate I received for taking their class and a Moorings card I have no other certificate. I own at Hunter 34. I have chartered in the south Pacific, the Caribbean, and the U.S. I also chartered in Greece several years ago, but as part of flotilla. I intend to charter in Croatia in 18 months or so and will test for the certificate in Croatia, 100 Euros.
SailorRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 17:10   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Do You Have a Sailing/Boating Certificate or License?

I have no certs at all.
I would if I got an Insurence cut. Pilots with Instrument ratings get a big cut in Insurence, but seemingly if you have a long laundry list of ASA certs, you get nothing?

I think most classes are simply ways to make money nothing more, I mean how many fail?
Guy I took my cave diving classes with has a high failure rate, I believe often as high as 50% and he has only very small classes, and none of his students have killed themselves cave diving, his cert means something.
Itís like diving certs have become, itís a joke, you get certs for taking pictures and even a Zombie apocalypse card, just $200 or so, and Iím sure a 100% pass rate
We live aboard, I have no interest in chartering, but do understand why some do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 17:24   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

The same on the water and in space.

Having all certificates is one thing. Having the know how and being able to to things in practice is another.

But having the certificates BEFORE (or along) acquiring the skill is quite essential with heavy machinery and where public life and health are involved.

Then it is essential not go nuts and require licences for kayaks, rubber ducks and paddling boards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 19:08   #68

Boat: Navy 44

Yes , OUPV . I was really amazed at the amount if boats coming south down the Chesapeake bay on a Saturday morning/ afternoon in July. Or in Annapolis harbor. Literally thousands. We had to roll up the jib so we could dodge them. It would have been great sailing, but we almost got hit 3 times, no one knows the rules or cares, as long as they can go faster. Its really getting ridiculous . I have a video of a speed boat going about 85 mph under the bay bridge, he slowed down from 100. Is that even legal? It certainly isnít safe. Another moron in the channel going 75 mph with a helicopter 50 feet off the water above him filming the half wit . Not cool
Dauntless44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 19:41   #69

Boat: Want a B430!

No certs, except going out to save boats twice when USCG was too intimidated by the weather to do so. Now that I think of it, I still do have my state boating certification from 1974.

That said, if one is new to boating, kudos to you for taking a class!!!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 00:58   #70

Boat: Cal 40

Jumping on the cert doesn't necessarily mean competence wagon. I once had a guy badger me for 15 minutes with his ASA dinghy card. He talked with other raters and with me several times. Competent people would flash their card, and when told we have to test you by our club rules, put their card away and 15 minutes of sailing later have a rating.

This guy finally went sailing. Asked him to tack upwind a few times then jibe on the way back. I failed him. He asked why. I said you made no progress upwind. He said "I didn't know you wanted me to sail well!"
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:33   #71

I got a sailing merit badge from the Boy Scouts in 1974 when I was 14 years old. Does that count?
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:56   #72

Boat: Outremer 51

USGC 50 Ton Master License. Sailing around the world, the only countries that asked to see it, and then in a very cursory way, were Croatia and Montenegro.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35   #73

Boat: Etap 38i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm hoping everyone who lives in the USA or wants to travel to the USA to sail or isn't off cruising the world on their own boat can answer this poll.

Do you have an ASA Certification? Yachtmaster, USCG or other license? Do you have a certification with Moorings or other charter company?

I'm curious how many people have these vs don't have them.

Thanks!
ASA 101, 103, and Boatsafe. While they are somewhat useful in that they ensure a minimum amount of head knowledge to operate a vessel within regulations, the quality of the 101 and 103 courses vary widely based on the conditions you are out in and the skill level and teaching ability of your instructor.

Also these courses do nothing to raise the skill level of the sailor to the next level, that is what does force 3-6 feel like, how do I operate the boat safely in these conditions, how do I steer safely in such conditions, and so one. So they can result in a false sense of security...sort of like someone with a learners permit deciding they are now fit to go be an ice road trucker.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 13:58   #74

Boat: Jeanneau 440

Yes. Ex. United States Coast Guard SAR boat coxswain. 32yrs Marine Law Enforcement Officer, USCG MASTERS LICENSE. Took ASA 101,103 with my wife so she didnít have to do it alone. Love to learn
Mooseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 15:33   #75

Boat: Birchwood 33

In general, the maritime law applicable to any particular boat is the law of its country of registration.
If you sail under the UK flag (Red Duster) no 'driving licence' is required - worldwide this is I believe exceptional.
However, I would not advise standing on one's high horse, pointing to the Red Duster and quoting International Law to a marine constable asking for papers.
In short, and in accordance with general common-sense rules, it is always best to be armed with lots of paper with signatures and rubber stamps.
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, license, sail, sailing