Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you ever anchor "backwards" for comfort?
Yes 10 18.18%
No 22 40.00%
Sometimes 11 20.00%
I might try it now 11 20.00%
That's the most silly thing I've ever heard of. 1 1.82%
Exceptionally pedantic answer. I don't like the poll options. 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 11:37   #46

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Do you ever anchor, backwards!?

Very common in Norway 🇳🇴
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 16:04   #47

Boat: Open 30

I usually anchor conventionally first, but my boat like to move forward if there is any movement on the water. Hanging a bucket over the back and bridling of to one side often helps, but when this doesn't work I tie the anchor of the stern quarter where it sits quite well. Especially in light conditions.

With the anchor off the front the boat tends to sail forward and cycle until the anchor line wraps the keel. It gets hung up on the bulb and you have to dive to get it off.
Team Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 16:47   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Terminal View Post
I usually anchor conventionally first, but my boat like to move forward if there is any movement on the water. Hanging a bucket over the back and bridling of to one side often helps, but when this doesn't work I tie the anchor of the stern quarter where it sits quite well. Especially in light conditions.

With the anchor off the front the boat tends to sail forward and cycle until the anchor line wraps the keel. It gets hung up on the bulb and you have to dive to get it off.
I'm sorry to hear you've gotten your keel wrapped that sucks. My cape dory has a very "slick" design (full keel, keel hung rudder, with a nice robust shoe/gudeon at the bottom so ropes can't get behind the rudder) that so far has shed all warps, at the cost of more wetted area of course. Design trade offs are tough. Fin keels sure sail fast though!

I just went through a wonderful wind over tide storm in St Augustine where the chop was enough to make me sick and the boat was sailing on the hooks (I decided to Bermudian Moore). I've found that two taught rodes make it hard to get up a good head of steam and prevent "gybes" and keep you a little more alined with the current.

But I did get a small drogue recently.. looks like a fisherman's size for a small ttop. I should try running it and seeing if it's enough to keep the boat aligned with the current more frequently. If that doesn't work maybe the 12' sea anchor will do it

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 19:23   #49

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

Many parts of the world it is "normal" to anchor for and aft--often to increase the number of vessels in an anchorage, but also to keep the bow into a swell.

During the 1982 Cabo Storm, several vessels which where off the beach in deeper water had anchored fore and aft. At least one of these (Val. 40 Magic Dragon) survived the storm, with some severe chafing, but hanging on the stern anchor. As I recollect the anchor was a HT Danforth 40#. The Valant 40 has a canoe type of stern, which probably helped in the survival--what caused a lot of the chafe, was one of thes "V" rollers (one on each side) which is used for stern anchors, to take the load sideways--but does not do well with rode in the middle. The owner, was able to keep chafing gear in that "V" and lot have the line chafe thru.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 23:48   #50

If you are in protected waters, anchoring from the stern will keep the boat much steadier (no sailing) and therefore much less stress on the anchor and gear (better holding) even in a storm!!! Most boats ride much better from the stern than from the bow!!!
Old 22-05-2022, 03:18   #51

Boat: C&C 36

There are simple wind scoops to direct breeze into hatches, and its a lot easier on your rudder, and retrieving the anchor, with the anchor off the bow. Just an idea...https://www.tradeinn.com/waveinn/en/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
BrotherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 04:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherT View Post
There are simple wind scoops to direct breeze into hatches, and its a lot easier on your rudder, and retrieving the anchor, with the anchor off the bow. Just an idea...https://www.tradeinn.com/waveinn/en/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
I do this. I use a tent "footprint", just a square of waterproof fabric so I can use it as a wind scoop, a sun shade, a water catchment, a picnic blanket, a dinghy tarp.... Etc. Again, when I do it, it creates a lovely breeze in the v berth where I don't spend most of my time and the breeze is largely blocked by the bulkheads so there is really isn't any in the salon. It also can't change the way the shade from the shade sails lands on the boat. Or point the bow towards the wakes. Everything has compromises.

- AT

P.S.: UNLESS you're stern anchored in breaking surf, I wouldn't worry about your rudder. If it can't take wavelets lapping against the hull, you probably shouldn't trust it in following seas, beam seas, or to not just fall off at the dock.
Old 22-05-2022, 04:55   #53

I think it's really interesting to see just how against the notion some people are. It seems like one step away from name calling, really. I guess I should have expected it with the "a" word being in the subject. In this thread, I would definitely be interested to see if there are regional biases. But I am too lazy to parse the data.

I do like that 22% of people have voted that they may try it now. If one person tries it and likes it, it is definitely worth the sideways shade that's been thrown about.

- AT

Tags
anchor