Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 07:42   #136

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Cruising start at 55 or 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
There's no escaping that logic, Mike, but it just doesn't work for me. I grew up in Chicago and hated winter... really hated it!
Wimp . I have to admit that as I get older, I'm enjoying our winters less and less. Bahamas, here I come .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallswede View Post
Well I've finally made my decision. I'm retiring this year. I'll be 57 in February. My mind late last year was telling me to stay two more years but my heart was telling me to go sooner. After putting in a bunch of 72 hour work weeks during the Holidays it was clear to me. Why am I doing this to myself? I have enough to step off now as long as I don't do anything stupid.
Congrats Kevin. Hope we see you out there some year. I've bolded what I think is the key point: having enough. As I said earlier, if you're working to get to the point where you have enough, then great. Stay. Work. But if you're working to get more, then you're never going to leave, b/c there is always more to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Health comes up a lot in discussions like this one. The thing is that it is a double edged sword type of thing. If your health is not good the thing seems to go now. But waiting longer affects the money issue and this plays a big related part in being able to deal with ones health. Yet an extra year of savings can easily be consumed by health, either treatment or insurance.

I have no doubt that my work life is affecting my health. Now the decision to work a year longer brings a known stress to my life.
Only you can know how much of your life is worth trading for more money (security). I hope you find the right balance soon.
Old 31-01-2015, 08:57   #137
cruiser

Had a lousy day at work yesterday working for a bunch of ingrates... Today it's -28 C and unsafe to spend any time outside due to ice, high winds and risk of frostbite.

I told Mrs. Kenomac... I'm done in 15 months, will quit the extra jobs and be off cruising 8-9 months per year instead of the current 4-5, she sort of agreed. I can work and earn enough in 3 winter months as an RN to replenish the annual cruising kitty without depleting any long term investments. There's no good reason to wait any longer. 'Might even happen as early as May 2015.

Mike, I'm right behind you.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 12:14   #138

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tall Swede: Good on ya!

3 Feathers: Good on you, too, but--

Not everyone who cruises is in your genetically lucky good health. Sailorboy's between a rock and a hard place: a medical condition which may demand more money, but is also a stressor that may make his condition worse. He may actually really need a larger financial cushion than other people whose underlying health is better. Or, he may need freedom now, but who among us can make that decision for him?

Furthermore, some people think it's okay to rely on public health in the US; others want private insurance that will cover more. While this is a personal decision, it is also affected by personal expectations and income level.

The fact of a known expensive medical condition increases the angst of the decision. I'm thinking maybe Sailorboy thinks or hopes the treatment he has had so far will significantly extend his life expectancy, enough to gamble the year with its big savings reward. But whether he gambles on longer life [work more], or shorter [prep the boat now for early departure], it's a tough call.

The fact is none of us know what our future will bring, and that's something that is harder for some people to come to grips with than others.

Peace.

Oh, yeah, and play, too!

Ann
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35   #139

Boat: Tayana 52

It's one thing to amass a cruising kitty but another to be able to access it while cruising. For those that haven't ventured off the continental US there may be the belief that everywhere accepts credit and debit cards. Whatever you're offshore plan is take cash on the boat. For a one year trip we had $10,000 in $250 lots sealed in plastic. I believe we used it all up in the 12 months, or maybe just forgot where we hid a few packs!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 14:41   #140

Gerry,

If you're able to keep it to yourself, then maybe cash is needed. I think 10k is OTT, personally, but people's spending patterns differ.

The most cash I ever knew about was on board a German-owned cruising boat, and he was furious when someone went aboard and stole it. It seemed to me at the time (and still does) that if he had not bruited it about, he might have gone on to spend it later on during his cruise.

Ann
Old 02-02-2015, 23:08   #141

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Gerry,

If you're able to keep it to yourself, then maybe cash is needed. I think 10k is OTT, personally, but people's spending patterns differ.

The most cash I ever knew about was on board a German-owned cruising boat, and he was furious when someone went aboard and stole it. It seemed to me at the time (and still does) that if he had not bruited it about, he might have gone on to spend it later on during his cruise.

Ann
Ann,
Yes it was a lot of money and we were on a 12 month passage so couldn't afford to not be without cash. Just as well we did as our bank decided that they would cancel our debit cards and post new ones to our home address. Even after calling they wouldn't courier to our location. As you say, don't mention it!
Hobart should be spectacular this time of year. Were you there for the Sydney-Hobart and did you go to the Taste of Tasmania food festival?
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 00:03   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Ann,
Yes it was a lot of money and we were on a 12 month passage so couldn't afford to not be without cash. Just as well we did as our bank decided that they would cancel our debit cards and post new ones to our home address. Even after calling they wouldn't courier to our location. As you say, don't mention it!
Hobart should be spectacular this time of year. Were you there for the Sydney-Hobart and did you go to the Taste of Tasmania food festival?
No, didn't go to the Taste this time. Did go to the Folk Music Festival, in Cygnet, and are volunteering at the Wooden Boat Festival.

Ann

Apologies for thread drift.
Old 04-02-2015, 17:29   #143
CLOD

Boat: none

freakin thread drift, we were suppose to be talking (nice) about me!

It occurred to me the other day that since I have enough money (to me) to go this year, that I could stop working and goof off and allow my wife to work (since she doesn't want to go this year) to pay for the house; and next year when we leave we are still better off than leaving this year.

So now I have a major attitude problem doing my job!
Old 04-02-2015, 17:34   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Had a lousy day at work yesterday working for a bunch of ingrates... Today it's -28 C and unsafe to spend any time outside due to ice, high winds and risk of frostbite.

I told Mrs. Kenomac... I'm done in 15 months, will quit the extra jobs and be off cruising 8-9 months per year instead of the current 4-5, she sort of agreed. I can work and earn enough in 3 winter months as an RN to replenish the annual cruising kitty without depleting any long term investments. There's no good reason to wait any longer. 'Might even happen as early as May 2015.

Mike, I'm right behind you.
Great! Good on yah.
Now all you have to do is sell the Oyster and get a Cat and it will all be peachy.......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 17:52   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
freakin thread drift, we were suppose to be talking (nice) about me!

It occurred to me the other day that since I have enough money (to me) to go this year, that I could stop working and goof off and allow my wife to work (since she doesn't want to go this year) to pay for the house; and next year when we leave we are still better off than leaving this year.

Any thread after about the first ten posts begins to mature and drift, if not nudged back on track.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:07   #146

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

This is the best idea you've had . Put it to her that way (perhaps wearing a G-string and offering a bottle of good wine). Maybe she'll see the folly of her ways, or perhaps she'll just fear for your sanity and have you committed. Either way, problem solved .
Old 07-02-2015, 04:32   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Gerry,

Ann
One of the ways we try and prevent this is a trick I learned from drug dealers and how they protect their cash stashes from the inevitable break in by other dealers to steal it. That is, they build elaborate, and quite clever, hidden compartments, into their houses, cars, boats, to hide it in (in fact, an underground industry has grown up with people who provide this service to them).

A boat has a thousand potential places to put such a hidden compartment. It doesn't have to be something that can't be found with an x-ray machine. It only has to be something that is so clever that a thief on your boat for a couple of hours has little chance of finding it.

All it takes are medium carpentry skills and a good imagination.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:52   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
It's one thing to amass a cruising kitty but another to be able to access it while cruising. For those that haven't ventured off the continental US there may be the belief that everywhere accepts credit and debit cards. Whatever you're offshore plan is take cash on the boat. For a one year trip we had $10,000 in $250 lots sealed in plastic. I believe we used it all up in the 12 months, or maybe just forgot where we hid a few packs!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Umm lots of reasons this is not a good idea. Boat sinks, is stolen, impounded, you have an accident etc etc.

I use prepaid VISA and MASTERCARDs specifically in overseas currency, and one which is a multi currency card. (with 2500 hundred sterling on each except for the multicurrency card which can have up to 25K on it)

I have a different bank for each card I hold, so covering the odds of being accepted by ATMs and banks.

If going into an area short on ATMS or Banks, I withdraw the amount I think I will need from a bank or from an ATM over a few days PRIOR to entering these areas.

VERY few places have a problem with credit cards nowadays..... the places that do are fairly cheap in their costs and a little cash goes a long way.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:44   #149

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Feathers View Post
The tropics are full of cruisers who hate the winter, and it is a good place for them. I have been in Panama for the past six months. Fascinating place to cruise with endless options and possibilities, and full of wonderful people, but I can't wait to get out if here. It's just too bloody hot. North Pacific here we come....I'm 73 so I know some sheet about getting old, but I'm in better shape than most 50 year olds I meet (probably fall over dead after saying that) so it isn't an age thing nearly as much as a genetic, physical, luck, circumstance, and attitude thing.
Hi ! I grew up in Montreal QC & for me winter was fun! Skating, hockey, skiing in "Les Laurentides", secret castles in snow hills on street sides (After snow storms) from where we could shoot snowballs at passing cars etc... Then sailing became a decease & I dreamt of white sand beaches & "bikini clad" young women... In 1976 I escaped -via England to pick up a real offshore 31 footer- to the West Indies where one of the BC girl was waiting for me... I've been working there since & went back to winter only to ski with my snowboarding son. I have the best of both worlds. I think that if you're skinny as I am, summer is better suited to you but if you're pudgy as a walrus, winter is your paradise... Look at the way polar bears like to roll on crisp dry snow to keep cool ... All this to say, I'll spend most of my life in the Tropics but if one day I can affoard a bigger sailboat (40' with a good heater?) I would love to spend a couple of years up North from Seattle to Alaska (I stayed almost a year in Vancouver & loved every day of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FeelSoGood.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	96778  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:27   #150
CLOD

Boat: none

So I'll plan to build some hidden storage places in the boat for the extra money I will made in the year. Since I probably wouldn't need that money for a while, I'll put some of the snow that is piling up outside in the box on top of the money.

Get the best ideas here sometimes

Tags
cruising