Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 15:28   #1771
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
26' island Packet image...

Its possible to right click on a image, and then to select "Copy image location".

Then click on the little image icon at the top of the reply box and paste the location of the image.

It will appear where your cursor was.

This image is from the sailboatlistings.com ad above.
Old 25-08-2011, 18:12   #1772
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Hurricane Tactics......

We are in Culebra and last sunday were visited by Hurricane Irene.

Let's discuss hurricane survival tactics.....

1. Find a place that is small and surrounded by high buildings or mountains.

2. Find a place that is occupied by only a few boats, preferably lived aboard, or manned during the storm.

3. If the center of the storm is expected to pass south of you, expect winds to build from the NE then shift to E then shift to SE then S.

4. If the center of the storm is expected to pass north of you, expect winds to build from the NW then shift to W then shift to SW then S.

5. Put sufficient provisions aboard to last 2 weeks at a minimum.

6. Fill water tanks

7. Set out heavy anchors or tie to pilings or mangroves to secure the vessel

8. Make meals ahead so you only need warm them up to have something to eat.

9. Your barometer is your best guide... look for it to bottom then begin rising again when the storm passes by.

INDY
Old 25-08-2011, 18:14   #1773
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Indy, could you please name this source? My experience of pricing Harken in Oz is not the same, and I would be grateful for the info.

So would nearly every other person buying marine parts in that overpriced country.

Thanks,

Jim
That was my experience in 2000-2002 when I lived there.

INDY
Old 25-08-2011, 18:53   #1774

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I say the best defense is a good offense here. Just head south in March to June and get out of the way. I here Argentina is a great place to visit during Hurricane season. Buenos Aries is the Rome of South America.
Old 29-08-2011, 06:31   #1775

we are a family of five and we spend close to $500 a month, so $150 to $200 for two people is reasonable. you have to learn to eat right and healthy, you dont need to spend alot of money on "junk" food. if you will read the Pardey's books, you will see how it is done. taken from the Pardey's....."are you a cruiser or a consumer?"
Old 29-08-2011, 11:28   #1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy2012 View Post
we are a family of five and we spend close to $500 a month, so $150 to $200 for two people is reasonable. you have to learn to eat right and healthy, you dont need to spend alot of money on "junk" food. if you will read the Pardey's books, you will see how it is done. taken from the Pardey's....."are you a cruiser or a consumer?"
Thanks Seagypsy and welcome.
A whole family that is doing it. We need more people out there actually doing it on 500 a month to come in and tell us how they do it.
Can you give us an idea how you feed and what you feed the family for meals during the week, what goes to boat maintenance, and how you get around on land?
Old 29-08-2011, 15:33   #1777

Affiliated Press:

A family of five was found today drifting in a small sailboat who were first thought to be victims of Hurricane Irene. Later it was determined that the small boat had been drifting for an undetermined amount of time and that all victims were the result of apparent starvation. Only water, rice and rotten apples were found aboard the small baot. Cpt. Crunch of the Boston Salvation Army identified the bodies when the authorities contacted him after finding his chapter was the source of the apples. Cpt. Crunch stated that he knew little about the family but stated that they were living on less than five hundred dollars a month on the small sailboat and refused to eat "junk" foods and their income was from selling diet books. The names were not released.
Old 29-08-2011, 15:50   #1778

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Affiliated Press:

A family of five was found today drifting in a small sailboat who were first thought to be victims of Hurricane Irene. Later it was determined that the small boat had been drifting for an undetermined amount of time and that all victims were the result of apparent starvation. Only water, rice and rotten apples were found aboard the small baot. Cpt. Crunch of the Boston Salvation Army identified the bodies when the authorities contacted him after finding his chapter was the source of the apples. Cpt. Crunch stated that he knew little about the family but stated that they were living on less than five hundred dollars a month on the small sailboat and refused to eat "junk" foods and their income was from selling diet books. The names were not released.
Or was it from finally having to resort to eating the "diet books". I´m sure during the autopsy a few pages might be found.
Old 29-08-2011, 16:09   #1779

Quote:
Affiliated Press:

Nice ! You naysayers Keep saying it can't be done and ask for someone out there doing it to chime in. Then when one does and a family no less you insult them instead of getting some info on how they are doing it and what they have had to give up. And one of you on a island in the Med the worst place to try to cruise on a budget of $500 a month.
I hope you don't sit and wonder why no one invites you to come over for dinner or to the pot luck.

Amazing! You guys are fricken amazing.
Old 29-08-2011, 16:20   #1780
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Nice ! You naysayers Keep saying it can't be done and ask for someone out there doing it to chime in. Then when one does and a family no less you insult them instead of getting some info on how they are doing it and what they have had to give up. And one of you on a island in the Med the worst place to try to cruise on a budget of $500 a month.
I hope you don't sit and wonder why no one invites you to come over for dinner or to the pot luck.

Amazing! You guys are fricken amazing.
ROTFLMBO.... nice one mate..
But then thats always the way... the ones with the dosh never believe the ones without....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-08-2011, 16:40   #1781
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
the ones with the dosh never believe the ones without....
Prove it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-08-2011, 16:44   #1782
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Prove it.

You just did...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-08-2011, 17:28   #1783

Tell ya the truth, I thought this was an old thread as I have been reading the oldies. I thought it was posted over a year ago and that's why I thought I'd revive it with a little humor. Now, I see it's not an old thread at all, I looked at the "join date" as the date of post.....lol

I'd really like to know how they do it too!

OTH, I'm sure it can be done, without any doubt in many places. Millions live on less than that and some live in a box, so I'm sure survival would be comfy in a 20 something boat with a real bunk, a place to eat what ever you carried in and a place to sit to dispose of what you ate, what more do you need?

When I started out and left the nest, I was on a budget, so I know it can be done, especially if that's all there is. It could also be done if you had an awful lot of determination.

I didn't think Jim would mind.
Old 29-08-2011, 17:42   #1784
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
a place to sit to dispose of what you ate, what more do you need?
Anyone can live on $500 per month if its just food. Even the Queen of England could be fed in great comfort for $500 food cost per month.

But food is no where near the largest component in long term cruising.

That a family of 5 is doing it is fine. Dunno how, but if they say they are I will believe them.

But for someone sitting at home in Happy Valley thinking to buy a boat and cruise long term on $500 per month the advice must be: A boat crusing budget is vastly more than just food.

Now let me escape this thread for another 12 months or so

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 29-08-2011, 18:22   #1785

let me clear this up, i said we are a family of 5 living on just under $500 a month for food budget. i did not mean $500 total budget. you can have an average budget for food for $100 per person. but depending on your lifestyle, you can live much cheaper on a boat than on land. but it all depends on how you do it. you do not have to have all the electronics most people have. you can do very fine with a sextant compass and weather radio. get rid of the engine and learn to truly sail. use a well insulated icebox, use oil lamps for cabin and nav lights. collect rain water. costomize your and maintain your boat to be unstopable. people did just that long before we were born, so it can be done most easily.
Lin and Larry Pardey have been doing just that all their life, read some of their books and you will be surprised just how easy it is.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising