Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 09:15   #76

Re: Cruising and the aging sailor

To quote Doyle Bronson ("Texas Dolly", the poker player)

"You don't stop playing when you get old.... You get old when you stop playing."

Richard
Rickinnocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:31   #77

I’m 77 and love the sea. If you feel that you can do the tasks then press on. I take another person with me but that’s because her legs look better then mine.
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:35   #78

Boat: Catalina 425

just turned 69 a few months ago. I won't respond to this except that Fri. as we were casting off for our first weekend this season a reached for the last dock line and POP-there goes my hip. It is a replacement and dislocated once before. If all goes well we are off next weekend. You just need to continue with your life and figure ways to do what you used to do in a different manner.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 09:42   #79

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

Don55:

At age 64, I still enjoy sailing and I've sailed in the navigation areas you are considering. An experienced friend wisely advised me that fatigue is one of our biggest challenges. I've found that to be true for me so, I get as much rest as possible when offshore. Thus, truthful observation of stamina and physical condition are wise, regardless of age; follow this with setting safe limits for yourself (acceptable weather, length of watches, etc.)
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 10:16   #80

Boat: Camano 31 ft

Dear Aging Sailor,

My wife and I bought a 55 ft Tayana sailboat when we were 56 and 58. We sailed almost around the world and quit sailing when we reached 71 and 73. We then bought a 31 ft Camano Trawler and Have just returned from cruising the Erie Canal. Today is my 82nd birthday and my wife will be 85 in March. We are having a little problem climbing in and out of the boat but otherwise we continue to enjoy the water and the wonderful people we meet. Just one word of advice.........DO IT! Larry
lmosser0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 10:22   #81

Boat: Bristol 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
Most of us don't have the money or the available leisure time to do our own thing during our working lives.

When you retire it is YOUR time, to use as you wish, you have 2 options:
You can decide you are too old for adventure and sit back and wait to die (possibly of boredom),
or

You can decide to live your later years to the full and do your own thing.

I recommend the latter option, you are a long time dead, make the most of your later years do your own thing and have a ball.

I started sailing at the age of 10 in P Class dinghies in Auckland NZ, I am now 78 and still sail, inspite of arthritis in both knees (legacy of being a Rugby player), I just have to be a bit careful moving round on deck in rough weather. One just has to make the odd allowance for the physical limitations that come with age
I am 61 and planning on retiring in 4 years. I have to wait until then for Medicare. However I'm in the process of buying an Allied Princess and getting her ready to move aboard and cruise when I turn 65. Plan on doing it as long as it's fun!
BrightWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 10:23   #82

Boat: Catalina 470

Just like to say how inspiring I find most of these posts. I'm a youngster (nearly 50) compared to alot that have written here.

Some of you guys are 30-40 years old than me and your out cruising, it's humbling. I hope I have the same sort of live life spirit at your age(s).
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 11:02   #83

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

I am 76 and handle a single engine 40' Marine Trader by myself. Wouldn't have it any other way. Me and my cat still up and down the ICW Florida to New England, Bahamas, and Erie Canal.
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 11:26   #84

Age is just a number. If you think you’re up to it, why not?

I’m 73 and have recently upgraded from a Spinner 28ft (that I owned for 25 years) to a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 331. It could be that I’ll be sailing it no more than double handed, from Poole in The the U.K. to the Portuguese/Spanish border, on the Rio Guadiana, when I’ll be nearer 74. The only question for me is the logistics of getting back and forth, I’ve done longer trips before so not too phased by that!

I recall a guy in his 80s who was determined to raise his mast single handed on a 32 footer... I watched him do it too!

Forget your age, it’s your ability and determination that matters!

Fair winds my friend...

Tony.
BonyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:01   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Don55,

Life's an experiment. My suggestion to you is to follow through with your present plan, and see how you like it. If you like it, keep on, till it quits being fun. If you don't like it, then consider the motor yacht, which will at least allow you to be out on the water. The decision is all about what is fulfilling to you, at the time.

Imho, it is a waste of your precious time to worry about the numbers attached to your age. You either feel up to it, or not, and it's okay to push yourself a little, just be mindful of it. I'm lots older than you are now, and Jim and I are still sailing. However, it is a big, dry boat, and it doesn't hobbyhorse. The smaller boats are livelier. If you already are using the smaller boat every day, you'll keep up the speed of your reactions, it is a use it or lose it sort of situation. If you will be singlehanding, evaluate your balance issues, if any, with great care.

Why should you not follow through with your plan?

Ann
I didn’t express myself clearly. I am taking things step by step. Boat will be finished next month. Plan is to sail locally with short hops down to biscayne bay and gain experience. When hurricane season over do the keys, gulf crossing in the spring with my sailing club and then think about wandering further afield. I have friends with bigger powerboats and occasionally think about the comforts of them but truth be told I have becaome rather fond of my Cape Dory. I am not a minimalist but I love simplicity and she is just big enough to do what I want while being snug and cosy besides. Plus, shes’s paid for!
Don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:06   #86

Boat: Oday 25

I down sized my boat (sail) at age 72 but still going racing every summer Wednesday now at 79. My wife won't let me sail alone anymore but otherwise unlimited. I also still captain the club launch every Saturday morning and teach driver ed at the high school during the winter
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:14   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
As an older cruiser, almost 70, and about to sail Japan to Alaska and a retired doctor I do not feel that age is limiting but that disease is very limiting. You need to get a complete medical work-up before you leave the American Medical system including colonoscopy and a cardiac stress test.

While many cruisers praise medical care in other countries I do not share their view when it comes to serious medical problems. Yes, care is often cheap but when it comes to serious problems you need to be in a ‘first world country!’

I have organized three medical evacuations from Panama, Mexico and the Caribbean and in two of the cases, a cardiac problem and a serious infection the local care was very poor.

If you are of Medicare age there is a Medicare supplement policy that provides $50,000 of care outside the US...From memory it is supplement F.

You should also carry medical repatriation insurance, we get our’s from DAN the scuba insurance company, they now have a sailor’s policy.

A friend who burst his appendix in Panama was handed a $43,000 bill.

Enjoy your retirement.
That’s good advice and I thank you. I am in excellent health, my retirement in two years at 65 is Federally mandated as I am an airline pilot. Still crave my adrenaline fix and sailing is a healthy substitute for flying.
Old 20-08-2018, 13:29   #88

Enjoying the responses here. Age is simply a number, ignore that and instead do what YOU feel and know you can manage. You are the person who knows yourself the best.
I am 67 and my partner Ken is 65. He has been sailing and working in boats for a long time. I have only been introduced to ocean sailing boats in the past five years. About three years ago we started living aboard full time and have explored Australia’s east coast, New Zealand, Tonga and currently in Fiji. We are making our way back to Australia via New Caledonia soon.
Go for it- you may surprise yourself and have heaps of fun!
BronAndKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:50   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Old is in the Mind, If you think your old, Your old,

My last GF after spending 15000 kays on the back of my Honda Blackbird 1100XX,
Decided to get her own licence and Motor bike at 61, Which she did, Both,

My new GF has just had two new Titanium knees fitted, A month ago, At 66, She is looking forward to sailing on my Cat with me,
She is recovering great,
She also loves being on my Bike with me,

I just turned 70, Physic of 35, Brain of a 12 year old, I refuse to grow old, Thats for the old people to do,
I am still waiting for this Mid Life Crisis thingy I hear so much about,

Cheers, Brian,
You mentioned one of my other hobbies, I love motorcycle touring on my Ultra Classic. My wife loves the bike and the boat!
Old 20-08-2018, 13:50   #90

Boat: Northshore 38 & Norseman 447

Am a decade behind but was thinking about this the other day, having completed a blustery return trip to Jervis Bay the weekend before last, both passages at night. I started sailing by myself - the whole tiller between the knees/mainsheet between the teeth thing kids can do - and with a wonky shoulder on once-strongest arm and not much cartilage in the knees it's about leveraging mechanical advantage, reefing early and teamwork. While it was tedious climbing home against that bloody on/off nor-wester am itching to get out there again.
JohnAdams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail