Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 05:27   #46

Re: Cruising and the aging sailor

I have been sailing for 69 years and have no plans to stop. Bought my current boat at age 71 and my wife learned to sail in her 70's. We sail the Chesapeake weekly, the ICW annually, offshore frequently, and downeast every chance we get. Later this month we will be chartering in the San Juan Islands. Too old for sailing at 75? Absolutely not!

We do exercise more discretion than when I was half my current age. This year I did add a windlass and larger anchor as a concession to recent back surgery (we arrange our various medical repairs and replacements around our sailing calendar). When we approach 90 we anticipate moving to a trawler. I also stepped the mast for a sailing buddy who celebrated his 80th birthday earlier this year.

Sail on!
scottgledhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 05:42   #47

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I acquired my first sailboat when in my mid-forties and didn't give it up 'til my mid-eighties. Mostly sailed single-handed. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 07:03   #48

Buy the book- Around the World in Eighty Years: The Oldest Man to Sail Alone and read about Harry Heckle who just a few years ago was turning 89 when finishing his second solo circumnavigation. His first was from east to west and this last one was west to east. His boat was a Dreadnought 32.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:03   #49

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

At the tender age of 83 i recently dropped the pan and checked the bearings on our T-Bucket roadster in prep for our annual 2 month back-roads trip
through NorCal and Oregon, then last Friday my wife and I sailed about 7 hours in the general direction of Catalina looking for dolphins kicking back and generally going nowhere. Saturday, my left arm suddenly stopped doing what I wanted it to do. CRAP!!! went to the hospital, many tests later (including swallowing a camera -gag gag gag) they verified it, STROKE! triple CRAP!!!
Sure puts a dent in your lifestyle. Hopefully with some major rehab I may get my life back, but just remember that Time, Tide, and blood clots wait for no man.
Whatever you want to do, DO IT NOW!!!
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:32   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

I think one should listen to their heart and chase the rabbit. As long as one breathes.

Get the boat you love and one that will take you THERE. Sail or engine, or paddles.

If I stop liking sailing, I will stop sailing.

I will die only after I have tried out all other options.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:53   #51

I have been sailing since I was 14. Last year, at 59, I decided to sell our 42 foot sailboat and go to a similarly sized powerboat for our cruising. Mostly due to my wife's advancing leg paralysis that makes her a less than able first mate. I decided that if I was going to single hand a 42 foot boat into my senior years, it was going to be a powerboat instead of a sailboat.

It's only been a year, and I miss the sailboat some days. But, I love the room of the powerboat at anchor and tied up at the slip. The fuel cost is the only negative, and having to listen to diesels when we move. But, nothing's perfect.

I think I could probably have been able to physically continue to sail into my seventies; I'm in pretty good health, I just didn't want to.

We'll see how it works out. I admit to looking at big sailing cats and thinking it would be nice to have one from time to time these days. Who knows?
Old 15-08-2018, 11:46   #52

Boat: Moody, Custom 58 Cutter

Speaking as an older (79 year old) sailor, with three friends we delivered a new to me 58' Moody sloop from Northern Croatia to Antigua in December 2017 - January 2018.

I'm looking forward to this November and sailing in the West Indies with one crew aboard and the occasional visitor or two.

I do things a little more slowly than I used to and always keep a weather eye.

God willing I'll be sailing into my eighties,

Go for it!
Aeolus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 13:52   #53

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Wife and I are now both 75 and are still at it. Most things are not a problem and most apprehension comes from between the ears, not from reality. We are planning to head out again this fall if all is reasonable. Our boat is very old school, including a manual windlass, with an all chain rode, which we call "ROSA'S GYM". We will go along like this as long as possible, and adjust accordingly when that time comes. "NEVER GIVE UP".
Old 15-08-2018, 16:23   #54

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Will be 74 in September and just bought my "new-to-me" Catalina 27!!!!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:48   #55

Boat: Catalina 350

You've had lots of very good comment here. We have a "legend" down under called Gordon Ingate, a prolific sailor and interesting character. He was still racing sailboats in his late 80's and probably still doing so in his nineties.

I'm about to turn a young 71 and in 2 months will cruise from Sydney to The Whitsundays a distance of 1,000 kms or 650 miles with an old, close, young friend of 61. The planning is stimulating the brain and I'm exercising to ready the body for any midnight dramas.

An 'older aged' American guy living in France has produced a series of videos of his solo from La Rochelle to The Azores. I think his videos will give you comfort to take on ocean hopping. Try him on:https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+episode+1+
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:15   #56

Bill, one more hiccup. Stay the course. I send you my best wishes for a full recovery.
One of my sailing buddies is a quadriplegic.it hasn't stopped him and I bet a little weakness in one arm will not stop you.
Blessings to you!
scottgledhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:05   #57

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
At the tender age of 83 i recently dropped the pan and checked the bearings on our T-Bucket roadster in prep for our annual 2 month back-roads trip
through NorCal and Oregon, then last Friday my wife and I sailed about 7 hours in the general direction of Catalina looking for dolphins kicking back and generally going nowhere. Saturday, my left arm suddenly stopped doing what I wanted it to do. CRAP!!! went to the hospital, many tests later (including swallowing a camera -gag gag gag) they verified it, STROKE! triple CRAP!!!
Sure puts a dent in your lifestyle. Hopefully with some major rehab I may get my life back, but just remember that Time, Tide, and blood clots wait for no man.
Whatever you want to do, DO IT NOW!!!
Wishing you a speedy recovery Mate!
Old 15-08-2018, 18:46   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Depends on the individual. We arrived in Hampton, Va three years ago wondering if we could sail to the BVI with the Salty Dawg rally. At 63 I was one of the “young ones”. Several of the couples were well into their 70’s or beyond. We’ve stayed there for two seasons and getting ready for a third. The boat stays in Chaguaramas, Trinidad for hurricane season.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:58   #59

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

AT 80 I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism. 19 out of 20 dont survive it. Obviously I did. That was 2 years ago.

I sold the Gulfstar 36 and the BR 44 sailboats and bought a Mainship 34 Trawler. Not because I could not handle the sailboat but because my wife couldnt. She is too frail to do the foredeck anymore. After a marriage of 60 years I could not imagine going to sea without her. In the trawler she can sit and sew as I sail. Sometimes a lifestyle change is in order.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 19:00   #60

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Old is in the Mind, If you think your old, Your old,

My last GF after spending 15000 kays on the back of my Honda Blackbird 1100XX,
Decided to get her own licence and Motor bike at 61, Which she did, Both,

My new GF has just had two new Titanium knees fitted, A month ago, At 66, She is looking forward to sailing on my Cat with me,
She is recovering great,
She also loves being on my Bike with me,

I just turned 70, Physic of 35, Brain of a 12 year old, I refuse to grow old, Thats for the old people to do,
I am still waiting for this Mid Life Crisis thingy I hear so much about,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail