Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 09:07   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Cruiser killed in Grenada

Shame. I have seen a lot of close calls where all it takes is not looking for a split second. Condolences to the family.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:19   #17

I waited for a few responses to my question. Liveaboard life meant I had plenty of other things to do in the meanwhile.

The original post threw so much blame on the Grenadian Coast Guard that it felt uncomfortable to me. It is unclear in this post whether this sailor is here. If not, the source of such specific details is surprising. Even being here in Grenada, we are hearing multiple versions about why and how this tragedy occurred. All of the speculation in previous posts about this dead man's possible intoxication and/or other issues seemed particularly hurtful and unwarranted.

Like most of the folks living on boats in Grenada during hurricane season (and beyond) we are guests of a small island nation with resources and laws that aren't the same as in the US, Canada, Australia, EU, etc. Yes, we pay modest amounts for cruising permits. Some cruisers' demands are well beyond this country's capacity (or perhaps interest) to deliver.

Comments about buoy or channel marker conditions would carry more weight and value for all of us if we knew how accurate the information in any post is, and what the source is for the story.

This is our second hurricane season in Grenada. There have been multiple meetings with Coast Guard and cruisers at Roger's Beach Bar. Lots of questions have been answered. The Coast Guard officers reiterated laws that cruisers frequently ignore (such as proper anchor and dinghy lights). A very helpful cruiser information sheet was produced as a result of these meetings.

I am very, very sorry for anyone directly affected by this incident. I hope that once there is some kind of accident report published, we can all learn valuable lessons that increase cruiser safety.
NikiFoxE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:19   #18

Boat: Dufour 40

Obviously, can't comment on this case as I don't know the details.

But, slight thread creep while we are on the subject of safety in dinghys:

While in mine (always less than 5 knots, light shining forward at night) I always sit down and use the safety cord. I see many 'macho' men standing, with no safety cord. If you, like me, had seen someone pitched into the water by collision with an unseen log and then be chased by his RIB circling him at 15 knots you might not think this a good idea.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:20   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

I’m flying to Grenada tomorrow and I always appreciate valuable information and reminders. Whether the cruiser “Died” accidentally or was “Killed” is immaterial! Our thoughts are with the family . I will exercise caution with the dingy! We are all guilty at one time or another of a near mishap.
Does anyone know where one could purchase some portable Nav lights for the tender?
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:26   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For what it's worth, when we have to run at night we have regulation running lights on our dinghy but also have whoever is in the bows sweeping ahead of us, side to side, from 45º on either side of the bow with a reasonably powerful hand held spotlight. We also do not run at speed in or near an anchorage, day or night, but particularly not at night. With respect to another dinghy, I want our spotlight to alert him/her that we are "there" but not to blind them which could be no less problem-some. If we do have to pass another yacht close at hand, we always try to do so at little better than idle speed so as not to disturb the occupants and to avoid being a "pop up" target to someone approaching from the opposite side of the yacht. The spotlight has proven its worth more than once over the years both to spot and avoid unlighted objects; and, other dinghies.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33   #21

Boat: Knysna 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
I’m flying to Grenada tomorrow and I always appreciate valuable information and reminders. Whether the cruiser “Died” accidentally or was “Killed” is immaterial! Our thoughts are with the family . I will exercise caution with the dingy! We are all guilty at one time or another of a near mishap.
Does anyone know where one could purchase some portable Nav lights for the tender?
We purchased ours through Defender. Very reasonable investment for safety.

Prayers for the family of the deceased.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:52   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I guess it wouldn't have mattered in this instance of a tender crashing into a channel marker in Grenada, but in the US, dinghies are required to be equipped with nav lights if used at night, aren't they? One of the first things you learn as a VFR pilot is that when visibility worsens, throttle back your speed.
You beat me to it. Sorry a guy died but dinghy may be a misrepresentation and common sense about speed should prevail with limited visibility.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53   #23

We kept one of these in the dink when traveling at night in addition to our other running lights.

Useful to shine in someone's eyes to warn them off as they bear down on you when they are going too fast at night and not paying attention.

Waterproof, rechargeable, and very bright!

Also useful for sweeping ahead of you to spot things like unlit markers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	160162  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:13   #24

Saddened to hear about the accident and loss of life in Grenada. Prayers extended to family and friends.

I have no understanding of the details of this tragedy, so my comments are not specific to this happening, but rather posted as a general opinion.

Transiting in adverse conditions, such as poor visibility, requires great care, moderating speed being the foremost adviseable practice.

This topic reminds me of a conversation I overheard a number of years ago at the local fuel station / convenience store, the first winter storm had arrived and road conditions were challenging and of course drivers were a bit out of practice in dealing with the several inches of snow on the highways and byways. A traveler asked a Montana Highway Patrol officer, "How fast can someone safely drive?" The officer replied: "How fast do you want to slide off the road and into the barrows ditch, or into the oncoming traffic?"

Same reasoned questioning applies to operating boats as it does to land vehicles, in the fog, rain, dark, near traffic, in shallow waters, near obstructions,in poor weather. Go as slow as one desires to hit something that is hard to see from an adequate distance to safely maneuver or stop.

Also of general yachting issue is that dinghies do seem to be comparatively rather highly powered these days and thus can and do operate at quite high speeds. I personally don't understand the need for equipping such high powers for a dinghy to be used on a sailboat. One cruises at moderate sail-powered speeds for long distances, or motors at modest speeds when the wind is inadequate or from a wrong direction, so what is the compulsion to be able to shuttle short distances at much faster speeds in a comparatively unstable craft? The engine power to weight ratio of dinghies has become EXTRAordinary compared to that of sail yachts. And where there is extra power, it follows that there is often the excessive use of such.

Safety first. Godspeed being a word that one could interpret differently than its old English origin, Godspede.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For what it's worth, when we have to run at night we have regulation running lights on our dinghy but also have whoever is in the bows sweeping ahead of us, side to side, from 45º on either side of the bow with a reasonably powerful hand held spotlight. We also do not run at speed in or near an anchorage, day or night, but particularly not at night. With respect to another dinghy, I want our spotlight to alert him/her that we are "there" but not to blind them which could be no less problem-some. If we do have to pass another yacht close at hand, we always try to do so at little better than idle speed so as not to disturb the occupants and to avoid being a "pop up" target to someone approaching from the opposite side of the yacht. The spotlight has proven its worth more than once over the years both to spot and avoid unlighted objects; and, other dinghies.
I'm with this guy, do the same routine.

Look one of the attractions of this lifestyle is that your supposed to be self sufficient. Your not supposed to want the long arm of some bureaucracy looking after you nor making rules for you. This also means that you have to take 100% responsibility for your actions.
In this situation an individual made some bad choices and it's a shame that this had to happen. I know this anchorage very well and night travel is common but you have to be careful and there area areas that we will not plane in. We tend to look for scapegoats in situations like this, we should feel very sad something like this happened but it's about choices and nothing more.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59   #26

Boat: Nonsuch 30

In response to one query, we are on a mooring in Prickly Bay (lets get together for a beer - boat name is Ainia) and this is the fourth time we have spent a considerable amount of time in Grenada. The marker in question is one of three in this narrow extension of the bay. All are in considerable disrepair. I have lived and worked in countries much poorer than Grenada and know that the government could afford a couple of cans of reflective paint - or to pay to remove the damn things entirely, it is not like they are marking significant shoals. Something will be done now about this problem, it should just have been done before this tragedy.

As I said there is a lot of blame to be shared in this sad event.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:10   #27

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Having just left Grenada after 4 months, I had no issues with these markers. Responsible operation at night was the key. Not the point.

If it is that bothersome, go buy some reflective tape and apply it yourself.

Don’t mean to sound harsh. But all this talk is not helping those that feel they need help operating at night. Won’t even get into the majority of boats with no anchor lights, and dingys with no lights at all. What about all the moorings etc.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:14   #28

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Anyone that attended the Coast Guard meetings, also in Prickly Bay, knows that the budget is beyond inadequate for anything. Barely enough to keep fuel in the boats for real emergencies. To expect them to pour money to fix a problem that was an isolated incident is......

Unfortunately accidents happen while we cruise. But we cannot expect every country we visit to spend money they don’t have to protect us from ourselves. Go back to the US if that is what you want.

This is not directed at any individual, just me expressing my opinion.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40   #29

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
Anyone that attended the Coast Guard meetings, also in Prickly Bay, knows that the budget is beyond inadequate for anything. Barely enough to keep fuel in the boats for real emergencies. To expect them to pour money to fix a problem that was an isolated incident is......

Unfortunately accidents happen while we cruise. But we cannot expect every country we visit to spend money they don’t have to protect us from ourselves. Go back to the US if that is what you want.

This is not directed at any individual, just me expressing my opinion.
I understand that another cruiser was killed in a similar incident something like 7 or 8 years ago so it is not an isolated event when you consider two deaths in relation to the number of cruisers who visit here. I am not suggesting 'pouring' money into the issues, just keep the posts painted. I have cruised to about 40 countries - rich, very poor and everything in between and Grenada is far from the poorest. In this case I think the government has responsibilities - if you are going to put out navigational aids you need to maintain them. If that is beyond your capabilities then remove the aids, they are (obviously) more of a danger than an aid. BTW, we are not from the US for what this worth.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:11   #30

Boat: Lagoon 440

I was in Grenada last year looking at a boat for sale. One boat had a brand new dingy because the owner had run into that post at night and destroyed his old one. He was familiar with Prickly bay, did not drive his dingy fast even in the day time, and did not drink much in the several days we were together.

I later stayed in Prickly and was very cautious around that part of the channel. I will say that the post is very difficult to see and if I had to transit that area at night often, I would add some reflective tape or paint to it. Otherwise, it's a risk in an inattentive moment.
SundayMorning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, Grenada