Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 07:05   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Catamaran Refit in Florida

I've come to the conclusion that I need to hire a place to do a major refit on my cat.

It's just more cost effective for me to work in my career and bring in money, then pay someone else to do the refit.

I'm still not wealthy by any means and need to find a good old fashioned place that does quality work at a reasonable total cost. That probably means the more rural and overlooked areas of Florida, Georgia, etc.

Work consists of glassing structural components, rigging, possibly some interior finish work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places I could get this work done?

I'm also quite open to anyone from anywhere in the world who is good at project management and can run a small team of semi skilled workers in Florida where the boat is now to get the project done.

This could be a nice full time job in the marine industry for someone.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41   #2

Re: Catamaran Refit in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'm also quite open to anyone from anywhere in the world who is good at project management and can run a small team of semi skilled workers in Florida where the boat is now to get the project done.
Any boat yard where you want to put you boat will require EVERYONE who enters the yard to work on a boat to have a business license and insurance.

Independent "Project Managers" in the boat world exist, but they are rare birds because the insurance rates are really high since they are legally responsible for any work they do, PLUS all the work that the sub-contractors do. Real project managers tend to work at the high end of the market because of these costs.

You are going to be far better finding a boat yard with the expertise and staff to run the job for you rather than hiring someone "off the street."
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Any boat yard where you want to put you boat will require EVERYONE who enters the yard to work on a boat to have a business license and insurance.

Independent "Project Managers" in the boat world exist, but they are rare birds because the insurance rates are really high since they are legally responsible for any work they do, PLUS all the work that the sub-contractors do. Real project managers tend to work at the high end of the market because of these costs.

You are going to be far better finding a boat yard with the expertise and staff to run the job for you rather than hiring someone "off the street."
Yes, which is why I started by asking for suggestions on places I could get this done.

In any case you can make blanket deals with any marina when you are doing a refit. Not my first rodeo. I have done deals like this more than once and currently have the boat at a place where people could come work on it. I could put them up in an apartment and they could work. They could also stay on the boat if needed. Quite flexible for the right people, including moving the boat to them.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:57   #4

Find the right boatwright and you can save a ton of money. Word of mouth. Find a yard that doesn't worry about outside labor. Yards are going to be $80- $100 an hour for each guy. 2 guys could be $1600 a day! If you can't find one do it yourself, unfortunately.

I had a bunch of work done in Annapolis, then when I moved the boat to Ft Lauderdale the same shipwright was headed there and did a bunch of work for me down there too!
I have not found yards to be very good at what they do either. Not just once, a few times. If it's a messy job; grinding, glassing in a cramped space etc they give it to the guy that was flipping burgers a month ago. examples:

-Stored a boat at a big yard in Florida for a few months. I asked the manager to grind out some tiny blisters (BB size) on about 3 ft of one side just above the bottom paint. I wanted them to dry out in the FL sun for 3 months and I was going to raise the bottom paint to the boot stripe any way. I kept calling from across the nation to make sure it got done. They didn't end up grinding it until just before I came back. The guy who ground it gouged super deep, went way above the boot strip and did a terrible job. When I got there the manager didn't even know anything about it. I had to drag him out to look at it. Basically the whole side of the boat now needed painted to repair the overzealous grinder.
-Hired a yard to sand and bottom paint. They really didnt sand but a few minutes . They started , I left for lunch, by the time I got back they were already painting.
- many more stories...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Find the right boatwright and you can save a ton of money. Word of mouth. Find a yard that doesn't worry about outside labor. Yards are going to be $80- $100 an hour for each guy. 2 guys could be $1600 a day!
Truly hoping someone here can provide that word of mouth. I don't have a large network.

Might be a great opportunity for a northern boatwright that's sick of the winter. I'd put him up in Florida.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30   #6

I think you are on the right track.
Don't worry about the Negative comments, they're from folks who keep the shipwrights in business......both good and bad. And those folks are good to have about, thats for sure.

Do listen to their warnings though.....it's a hit and miss thing. I have seen more bad work than good....including what they call Licensed and qualified etc.
If you find some one who seems to fit the bill......part with money only after work is completed. NEVER get ahead of work done. NEVER. The right guy won't need money up front.....the wrong guy will.

Sounds as though you know most of this anyway.

I am exactly what you are looking for.....but am definitely not looking for work, so there does exist out there what you are looking for.

There are ways around the working in a boat yard/ marina situation. If you have the guy doing the work bring the boat in, basically act as the owner, no one questions anything. Thats one option.

The right guy will also have options....have relationships with fair minded folks.......some do exist.

I wish I knew of someone to recommend, that was the point of your post after all. I will think on it though.

I do know of a spot in Nth Fl that would likely be good with what you are proposing...I have done exactly that there.

If you happen to get a good recommendation PM me and I will fill you in.

Best of luck.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:51   #7

Not Florida, but some years ago a friend of mine did extensive work on his 45ft. catamaran at Doug Jaynes yard, White Stone, VA. (Jaynes Maritime builder day sail catamarans), on the Chesapeake Bay.

It is in a rural setting and he has haul out and storage space in a large yard.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:14   #8

In Ft. Pierce, You have a choice between Cracker Boys a traditional boatyard but not South la pricing. Then there's Riverfront Boatyard, they allow you to work on your own boat and there are plenty of tradesmen about at reasonable (for marine work) prices. I can introduce you to a couple of people who either do the work, or know someone who does. I have been boating (Sail & Power) for six decades and have down several keel up restorations and would be happy to help in any way I can. jim.roberts@r2uti.com
JWR2628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
Not Florida, but some years ago a friend of mine did extensive work on his 45ft. catamaran at Doug Jaynes yard, White Stone, VA. (Jaynes Maritime builder day sail catamarans), on the Chesapeake Bay.

It is in a rural setting and he has haul out and storage space in a large yard.
That's a good one. Thanks! I reached out to him already.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:53   #10

Allied39, thank you for the encouraging post.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:04   #11

Boat: Leopard 39

I've heard great things about Snead Island Boat Works in Palmetto, Florida. I don't know if they can haul out cats, but they do all of the work you mentioned.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:18   #12

Boat: Antares 44i

Did my cat's refit Hinkley's Yacht Services in Stuart. Not cheap, but excellent work.
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:00   #13

Boat: C&C

I'd go to Knowles Marine Services in Freeport/Lucaya if your boat is seaworthy enough to get there. Does a great job on all the work you mentioned. Call Charleton at 954 317-3321 and talk to him. Great place to sit and work off the internet as the work is done by a reliable guy. As they say- "It's better in The Bahamas"! Good luck with whomever you choose!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I've come to the conclusion that I need to hire a place to do a major refit on my cat.

It's just more cost effective for me to work in my career and bring in money, then pay someone else to do the refit.

I'm still not wealthy by any means and need to find a good old fashioned place that does quality work at a reasonable total cost. That probably means the more rural and overlooked areas of Florida, Georgia, etc.

Work consists of glassing structural components, rigging, possibly some interior finish work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places I could get this work done?

This could be a nice full time job in the marine industry for someone.

Thanks for any suggestions.
IMO, prepare to be disappointed. The labor market is so tight right now that anyone who is giving you a good deal by your standard is probably incompetent. Especially in Florida where as one boat guy said "I don't bother getting out of bed unless I'm making a $100/hr". That's no kidding.

I was watching a show the other day about rebuilding old wood boats and the guy said "You know, sometimes you can get these boats for free - and you still paid too much". Major refit - big dollars.
Old 10-02-2019, 13:48   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

You've gotten some good responses. You don't mention where the boat is, and, what is the beam. It came up recently in another thread about the Tampa Bay area. There are quite a few good operations here, there is also quite a few bad ones........... But, if your beam is wider than about 20', your options become very limited.

As someone mentioned, I hope you make about a $100.00 an hour, or more, to compensate for what the yard will charge............
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, florida, refit